Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Illinois Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Illinois Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 11-25-2010, 11:45 AM
ALL POWER IS THE LORDS

Default How do send money through Western Union

I usually send money through Jpay, but I also want to know how to send money through Western Union, if needed to send it that way.
I wanted to check the prices.
I just checked Jpay and the quotes were only for up to a certain amount.
Do you go to a location for Western Union or do you go online.

Last edited by heisRfamily2; 11-25-2010 at 12:05 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2010, 08:50 PM
He holds the key!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisRfamily2 View Post
I usually send money through Jpay, but I also want to know how to send money through Western Union, if needed to send it that way.
I wanted to check the prices.
I just checked Jpay and the quotes were only for up to a certain amount.
Do you go to a location for Western Union or do you go online.
I believe you can do western union online now, but if you can't go to a local currency exchange. The cost is about $7.95. (it is here anyways) and he should have it next day on his books. Jpay is alot cheaper and just as quick. The code you'll need for western union.. is ILIDOC. =) hope that helps.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:13 AM

If Illinois even allows payment via Western Union, it would be "Quick Collect". That's the method used to pay to a non-person (i.e. DOC).

An exerpt of the instructions from the Iowa DOC:

The Iowa Department of Corrections accepts wire transfers from
Western Union for Offender Accounts. This does NOT include
telephone accounts. Money may be sent in any of the following
three ways:
• Via the internet at westernunion.com/corrections
• By phone at 1-800-634-3422.
• By walk-in cash payments at any Western Union site.
The process used is “Quick Collect”. Senders’ must use the
“Pay to” as the Iowa Dept of Corrections. The “Code City” is
IOWADOC and the “State” is IA. The “Sender’s account #” is
the offender ID number and offenders last name. For example,
1234567Jones.

You'd have to check the Illinois DOC website for their policy.
heisRfamily2 (11-26-2010)
Old 11-26-2010, 07:38 AM
ALL POWER IS THE LORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by regina9363 View Post
I believe you can do western union online now, but if you can't go to a local currency exchange. The cost is about $7.95. (it is here anyways) and he should have it next day on his books. Jpay is alot cheaper and just as quick. The code you'll need for western union.. is ILIDOC. =) hope that helps.
Regina, do you just do a reguler sending money form or do you have to do the quick collect as R&R stated in the last reply. Who do put as the receiver the facility and the inmate or just the inmate and their #??
Old 11-26-2010, 07:45 AM
ALL POWER IS THE LORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&R View Post
If Illinois even allows payment via Western Union, it would be "Quick Collect". That's the method used to pay to a non-person (i.e. DOC).

An exerpt of the instructions from the Iowa DOC:

The Iowa Department of Corrections accepts wire transfers from
Western Union for Offender Accounts. This does NOT include
telephone accounts. Money may be sent in any of the following
three ways:
• Via the internet at westernunion.com/corrections
• By phone at 1-800-634-3422.
• By walk-in cash payments at any Western Union site.
The process used is “Quick Collect”. Senders’ must use the
“Pay to” as the Iowa Dept of Corrections. The “Code City” is
IOWADOC and the “State” is IA. The “Sender’s account #” is
the offender ID number and offenders last name. For example,
1234567Jones.

You'd have to check the Illinois DOC website for their policy.
Thank you R&R for the infor. Do you know if it a difference in cost if you process the transaction on phone verse online or in person?
Old 11-26-2010, 08:24 AM
Missing my BabyRhew

I use western union, I live in MO and send to IDOC it cost me $5.95 to send him $50 and he gets it the next day. I always go in and I use the blue form. I dont know if that will help. Good Luck!

Old 11-26-2010, 09:01 AM
ALL POWER IS THE LORDS

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhewsbbgurl View Post
I use western union, I live in MO and send to IDOC it cost me $5.95 to send him $50 and he gets it the next day. I always go in and I use the blue form. I dont know if that will help. Good Luck!

So, rhewsbbgurl, does it cost $5.95 for any amount that you are sending or does it cost more &&&, if you are sending more money. Because if you are correct about that fact that it cost you $5.95 to send $50 then Western Union is cheaper then Jpay. Isn't that something, becasue I was told when I first came to this site that Japy was the cheaper the WU.

You learn something new everyday.
That's why it is good to always ask questions.
I've been told that No question is a dumb question.

The rates for Jpay is as follow:

$0.00 to $20 cost $4.95 online & $5.95 by phone
$20.01 to $100 cost$7.95 online & $8.95 by phone
$101 to $200 cost $9.95 online & $10.95 by phone
$201 to$300 cost $11.95 to $12.95
If you get the payment in before 2pm the day prior your LO will get the $$$$ the very next day, except on Friday. They would not get a Friday payment until Monday.
So, if Western Union has 1 flat rate then that would beat Jpay by far.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:53 AM
ALL POWER IS THE LORDS

Smile O.K, It pays to not only ask question but to also do research

I called Western Union's customer service and they said that it would cost $9.95 to send $200 or $300 and it cost $ 11.95 to $12.95 with Jpay.But when I called Western Union they stated that because I have a Western Union GOLD CARD, I had points to be redeemed and that I could get a $5 discount. Therefore, it would only cost me $4.95 this time, but wihen my discount point run out I will pay the full amount. But Western Union appears to be cheaper than Jpay,but you can use your debit or credit card online with Japy without being charged as a cash advancement like WU.
I think I will use Western Union this time and I will see who is the cheapest based on the amount that I am sending for next time.
I guess what ever works for each person.
& I guess I answered my own question.
I hope this post will help someone else in the future with this same question.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:26 PM
It is what it is
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,541 Times in 2,248 Posts

OK. You have to use QUICK COLLECT to send money through Western Union. The cost to send money is going to be different for some people, depending on where you are. Not only that, but the amount you send determines how much the transfer fee will be. So, if you want to know how much the fee will be, go to the QUICK COLLECT page and go through the motions of sending the money and when you get to the page where it shows you how much your total transaction will be, then you'll know how much the fee is. Once you get to that page, you can either exit out of the website or hit the back button to put in another money amount to see how much that transfer fee will be. That is what I do.

https://wumt.westernunion.com/WUCOMW...xtSecurePage=Y

Also, sign up for a WU gold card. It's free. Each time you send money, you can use the card and you'll receive $1 off the transfer fee.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:10 AM
ALL POWER IS THE LORDS

Question Filling out the Quick Collect form properly

Now, just to be sure, do you put the City Code as ILIDOC and I also read a post that stated that it should be ILDOC IL.
Which one is correct.
I know that it was said that the Account# should be the Inmate's# Name.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:43 AM
It is what it is
Donation Award 

When you go online, and go through Quick Collect (sign-in, of course), the first page that you put info on asks you what state you're sending the money from, so you would pick IL. Then the next option is iwhere is the money going. You have 4 options - Mortage, Automobile, Other Billers and Correctional Facility. Click Correctional Facility and go over to the menu and find Illinois Dept. of Corrections.

Their account number would be their inmate number immediately followed by their last name. No spaces. Also, in the attention section, I always put his first and last name followed by Menard CC. That way, if there's ever an issue, that info will be in the system.

And in comparing prices with JPay and WU, I can see where WU would be cheaper to use if sending more than $100. I rarely send more then that, so, for me, I prefer to use JPay. Especially since it's easier. Oh, and I find it's cheaper to use WU online than it is to go to a store. I specifically went to a store out of town because a woman told me it only cost her $6.95 to send. Well, I never stopped to think about the amount of money she was sending. Yeah, that's the price if you're sending $50 and I could've done that online. However, I was sending $100. So I get to the store, fill out the info, give it to the cashier and she tells me it's going to be $11.95. What?! I was better off doing it online.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:54 AM
ALL POWER IS THE LORDS

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_A View Post
When you go online, and go through Quick Collect (sign-in, of course), the first page that you put info on asks you what state you're sending the money from, so you would pick IL. Then the next option is iwhere is the money going. You have 4 options - Mortage, Automobile, Other Billers and Correctional Facility. Click Correctional Facility and go over to the menu and find Illinois Dept. of Corrections.

Their account number would be their inmate number immediately followed by their last name. No spaces. Also, in the attention section, I always put his first and last name followed by Menard CC. That way, if there's ever an issue, that info will be in the system.

And in comparing prices with JPay and WU, I can see where WU would be cheaper to use if sending more than $100. I rarely send more then that, so, for me, I prefer to use JPay. Especially since it's easier. Oh, and I find it's cheaper to use WU online than it is to go to a store. I specifically went to a store out of town because a woman told me it only cost her $6.95 to send. Well, I never stopped to think about the amount of money she was sending. Yeah, that's the price if you're sending $50 and I could've done that online. However, I was sending $100. So I get to the store, fill out the info, give it to the cashier and she tells me it's going to be $11.95. What?! I was better off doing it online.
I know what you mean Miss A. That's why it pays to ask questions and do your own research, because things change all the time.
Thank you for the infor.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:22 PM
ALL POWER IS THE LORDS

Default Sent the $$$$ through WU, hope all went well

I sent the $$$ through WU and it cost $9.95 minus my $5 discount for a total of $4.95
But I got there to the Agent and I could not remember all of the section to fill out, so I put MCC, LO's name and number dam near on everything. I went totally blank when I got to the WU location. So for the sender I have Illinis Dept of Corrections. I wrote MCC LO's name and #, but the agent put IDOC. For the account#, I wrote inmate# and last name and that what the agent put. For the attention section I wrote MCC, (Inmate#), and name, but I can tell from the paper work what was put in this section.
So it is may hope that everything goes well & that he gets his Loot.
I don't know why I didn't write the instruction on a piece of paper.

Last edited by heisRfamily2; 11-27-2010 at 07:24 PM..
Old 11-28-2010, 09:21 AM
Missing my BabyRhew

Dont stress heisRfamily2...The first time I went I just paniced! Lucky for me the lady at WU was very nice and filled the whole form out for me and just asked me his name an # then she said here sign there! LOL Now all the info is in the system and all I do is give my phone # and they ask how much I am sending. I am sure he will get it, and it should be quick.

The Following User Says Thank You to rhewsbbgurl For This Useful Post:
heisRfamily2 (11-28-2010)
Old 11-28-2010, 05:10 PM
ALL POWER IS THE LORDS

Default Happy to know that WU saves our LO's infor for futrue $$$ transactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhewsbbgurl View Post
Dont stress heisRfamily2...The first time I went I just paniced! Lucky for me the lady at WU was very nice and filled the whole form out for me and just asked me his name an # then she said here sign there! LOL Now all the info is in the system and all I do is give my phone # and they ask how much I am sending. I am sure he will get it, and it should be quick.
OH,O.K rhewsbbgurl.
I am glad to know that the information will be saved and that I will not have to go through that again. It sounds easier to just give the name, sign, and pay, then you are done. I just did not want it to be sent back for not having enough or incorrect information, because it seems like the prison staff loves to send stuff back. It seems like it makes their day to stop our LO's from getting thing that we send to them.
I do not trust not having everything right when it comes to sending stuff there.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:24 PM
It is what it is
Donation Award 

You could always do it online; much less to have to remember and the options you pick are pretty self-explanatory.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:04 PM
ALL POWER IS THE LORDS

Question What method of payment do you use.

Quote:
You could always do it online; much less to have to remember and the options you pick are pretty self-explanatory.
What method of payment do you use when you do it online. Because, I thought when I spoke to the WU Operator, she stated that it would be like cash advance that your bank would charge you additional charges for an advance.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:25 PM
ALL POWER IS THE LORDS

Question How long does it take for facility 2 inform LO of $$$ sent by WU

I sent the $$$ on Saturday and I spoke to My LO today and he said that he had not received any notice of his $$$$ transfer into his account. I called WU and they said that the money transfer was pick up by IDOC. When do they notify the inmate, or do they just wait until commissary day to inform them what is in their account?
Old 11-30-2010, 03:53 PM
At the beach! =)

Thanked 5,135 Times in 1,712 Posts

The money has always hit my man's account the next day. However, just this past week, he asked that I please send the money by Monday, because they go to store on the 1st. He said people are having trouble getting their accounts credited promptly. In the past, I have sent it as late as 10pm and it was in his account for him the next morning.

And whatever things you ask in prayer, BELIEVING, you WILL receive! Matt 21:22
Old 11-30-2010, 04:18 PM
ALL POWER IS THE LORDS

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaptrosa View Post
The money has always hit my man's account the next day. However, just this past week, he asked that I please send the money by Monday, because they go to store on the 1st. He said people are having trouble getting their accounts credited promptly. In the past, I have sent it as late as 10pm and it was in his account for him the next morning.

Yeah, that's the same thing that my LO said to me that he needed his $$$ before the 1st of DEC for commissary store day. That is why I sent the $$$$ on Saturday in the hopes that it would be in his account by Monday. Maybe you are right and maybe there is a back log in trying to get all the inmate's funds into thier accounts. Hopefully they will have all of the accounts updated by tomorrow.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:59 PM
It is what it is
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisRfamily2 View Post
What method of payment do you use when you do it online. Because, I thought when I spoke to the WU Operator, she stated that it would be like cash advance that your bank would charge you additional charges for an advance.
You use the Quick Collect option. Same as you do at the store. And there is no extra fee. That woman was wrong.

And as I said in my previous post, sign up for the Gold Card. It's free and each time you use it, you will get a dollar off the transfer fee.

Oh, and you would just use your debit card, if you have one. That is what I do.

Last edited by Miss_A; 11-30-2010 at 05:03 PM..
Old 11-30-2010, 08:11 PM
ALL POWER IS THE LORDS

Quote:
You use the Quick Collect option. Same as you do at the store. And there is no extra fee. That woman was wrong.

And as I said in my previous post, sign up for the Gold Card. It's free and each time you use it, you will get a dollar off the transfer fee.

Oh, and you would just use your debit card, if you have one. That is what I do.
Oh O.K. COOL, because I do have a debit card, and actually using my debit card would give me banking reward points. I will be racking up points for my banking reward, so I can get more gift cards to shop with for Black Friday next year..
& Oh Yeah, I also have a Gold Card, because that's how I got the discount of $5 on this Quick Collect. So cool, I will do it online and see how that works out. It sound like it would be easier. I was just concerned that they would charge me more for using my card with the on-line feature.
I Guess that operator did not know what she was talking about. Speaking of the WU operators, a male operator gave me misinformation today, when I called to check on the status of the quick collect. He told me that the agent had sent the money to another state. I was freaking out and ask to speak with a supervisor and the supervisor stated that it was sent to IDOC and that the operator was wrong. The supervisor apologized and assured me that it had been forwarded to IDOC and that it was up to the facility to then put in my LO account.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:25 PM
It is what it is
Donation Award 

Whew!! Weren't you relieved that the money really did go to the right place. I would have been heated too had I been told that.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:31 PM
ALL POWER IS THE LORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksgirlNZ View Post
Has anyone sent money through Western Union from overseas?? Im wanting to send from New Zealand to Arizona Prison....
I would think that it would be the same as anyone else sending money. You would just need the city code for that facility. I use Western Union when I have to send money to another country and I just use the Send Money form but you can call to see if you can use the Quick Collect.
Here is the phone number for Western Union and they can verify the process. (1-800) 325-6000
I hope this information helps and Good luck.
& Oh Yeah. I see that you are new, so welcome the site.

Last edited by heisRfamily2; 11-30-2010 at 08:42 PM..
Old 11-30-2010, 08:37 PM
ALL POWER IS THE LORDS

Angry

Quote:
Whew!! Weren't you relieved that the money really did go to the right place. I would have been heated too had I been told that.
Miss AAAAAAAAA
HEATED aint the word. I WAS READY TO DO THE FOOL, SH##!!!!! & the supervisor knew it so she hurried up and set it straight.
I started telling her that I was not going to use their services anymore. I wanted my money back that I spent to send the money, ETC. If you know what I mean.