Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 04:38 AM

any way of knowing how many months before release date that an address for home inspection is needed.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2017, 07:19 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 24,242 Times in 13,900 Posts

The unit team usually gets serious about the eventual release home plan at the last annual update team meeting, with one year until end of sentence release. Any half way house placement will happen before then, so if he gets 6 months HWH, he would go there 6 months before his release date.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:12 AM

Default Sentence Caculation

If My Boyfriend Sentence To 39 Month & Has 5 Months & 11 Days Of Credit Time Serve & Was Qualify For The RDAP Program What Will Be His Release Date To The Half Way House Including The Jail Credit & RDAP
Old 03-28-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay5656 View Post
If My Boyfriend Sentence To 39 Month & Has 5 Months & 11 Days Of Credit Time Serve & Was Qualify For The RDAP Program What Will Be His Release Date To The Half Way House Including The Jail Credit & RDAP

I think it just depends on when he gets into RDAP and starts the program. I had 41 months and no jail credit bc I self surrendered. Luckily I didn't have to wait too long to start the program. I was at FPC Montgomery. I actually served 18 months and then went to halfway house. RDAP basically guarantees at least 6 months half way house time. And that's what I got.

- Nachman of Breslov
Old 03-28-2017, 10:02 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

His sentence started on the first day he was incarcerated on the exact charges. It doesn't matter if that was pre-trial, or after he received his 39 month sentence. His release date will be 39 months, minus 153 days of regular good time from his start of sentence date (5 months and 11 days already served). Here is the RDAP program statement
https://www.bop.gov/policy/progstat/5330_011.pdf

and the early release
https://www.bop.gov/policy/progstat/5331_002.pdf

Additional time off, if any, will be awarded after he has successfully completed the program. Be sure to read what RDAP involves both during the program, and after he transitions to Supervised Release.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:29 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Any half way house time will happen before his release date from bop custody, so it is not included in the release date computation. He will still be a bop prisoner there, just in a HWH (or even home confinement) not in a prison.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:12 AM

I self surrender next week and have 366 days. I have been on probation (I think that is what to call it) for two years prior to sentencing and have been able to travel for my job with approval. How do I really determine what my actual time will be? Like many, I'm confused, or maybe just really anxious and not comprehending correctly how to do this math. I'm fortunate to be able to come out and go back to my current job, but I don't know how to prepare for that. I'm consumed with shame and guilt about what my time away will do to the people that I have obligations to and there are so many unknowns that it is honestly killing me right now. Any help with the math would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:50 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison Talk. If your sentence had been one year only, you would have had to serve the entire 365 days in prison. Since the judge sentenced you to a year and a day, you will earn 47 days of good time, leaving 319 days to serve. The time when you were being supervised by the Pretrial Services PO counts for nothing.

Once you arrive in prison, ask your unit team how much, if any, half way house time they will recommend for you. The Second Chance Act allows them to send you to a HWH for the entire 319 remaining days, but it is completely discretionary, so your case manager and the warden will decide if, and when you will go to a HWH.

Some members have posted that they should have remained in their minimum security prison rather than agreeing to go to a HWH for the last portion of their sentences. You can refuse HWH without any penalty.

Here is a list of the current HWH contracts. Find the one closest to where you will be released, and check it out.
https://www.bop.gov/business/rrc_directory.jsp
Old 03-29-2017, 06:23 AM

Do you think it is worth asking/requesting house arrest in place of a half way house? Also, do you know if my parole officer would be the same once I'm released or if they will assign me to a new one? The one I have had is easy to communicate with (text messages/email) versus someone who may be more old school in their communication style.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:57 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Ask your lawyer about requesting home confinement instead of prison. Since you are already sentenced to prison and scheduled for self surrender, I doubt that it will change anything though.

Your US Probation office will decide who supervises you once you have completed your prison sentence. US Probation officers are usually assigned to either pretrial services, or post-prison supervision, so in my case, it was completely different POs. Whoever is assigned to your case is the one you will have to deal with, period. Good, bad or indifferent it is what it is until the office assigns a different one.

It is possible to have your supervised release sentence reduced. Ask your PO what you need to accomplish for them to file a motion with the court to release you early. In my case, post-prison, I had to complete all of the requirements of my SR, plus I must have served 1/2 of the total time the judge initially sentenced me to. It will depend on the policies in that US Probation office if that is a possibility for you or not.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Ask your lawyer about requesting home confinement instead of prison. Since you are already sentenced to prison and scheduled for self surrender, I doubt that it will change anything though.

Your US Probation office will decide who supervises you once you have completed your prison sentence. US Probation officers are usually assigned to either pretrial services, or post-prison supervision, so in my case, it was completely different POs. Whoever is assigned to your case is the one you will have to deal with, period. Good, bad or indifferent it is what it is until the office assigns a different one.

It is possible to have your supervised release sentence reduced. Ask your PO what you need to accomplish for them to file a motion with the court to release you early. In my case, post-prison, I had to complete all of the requirements of my SR, plus I must have served 1/2 of the total time the judge initially sentenced me to. It will depend on the policies in that US Probation office if that is a possibility for you or not.
I have variables in my case that I can't discuss yet. I don't want to say I'm okay with my supervised time after release... but from everything I can find it seems like a fair amount. Honestly this could have been so much worse, and I know that. I don't want to have a pity party for myself as I allowed my self to be put in the position that got me here. I understand the point of prison is a punishment and according to the system I have to be "punished". Someone told me earlier today to stop trying to apply logic to my situation, but I'm programmed that way. There have been a number of lessons learned through this process, and I know that my time will teach me additional ones. I'm just ready to move forward and frustrated I guess. I really appreciate the replies today.
The Following User Says Thank You to PantherMom For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherMom View Post
I have variables in my case that I can't discuss yet. I don't want to say I'm okay with my supervised time after release... but from everything I can find it seems like a fair amount. Honestly this could have been so much worse, and I know that. I don't want to have a pity party for myself as I allowed my self to be put in the position that got me here. I understand the point of prison is a punishment and according to the system I have to be "punished". Someone told me earlier today to stop trying to apply logic to my situation, but I'm programmed that way. There have been a number of lessons learned through this process, and I know that my time will teach me additional ones. I'm just ready to move forward and frustrated I guess. I really appreciate the replies today.

I agree with all that has been said here before. It also depends on your state. In Alabama, where I served my sentence, initially they were giving people up to 12 months of halfway house time. If then dwindle down to a mere three months on average. Of course with the drug program I was able to qualify for more time although with your short sentence you will not be able to qualify for the drug program reduction.

I agree that the best thing to do is to talk to your unit manager or your counselor once you get there. My personal experience with them is that they are completely unhelpful, lazy and not interested in helping anyone. But that is just my experience and should in no way be applied to a generality of the federal system.

- Nachman of Breslov
Old 03-29-2017, 04:18 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

You will probably be assigned to a minimum security bop "camp" to serve your sentence, which is the best possible situation for you. It will mean that your punishment will mostly consist of the effects of your time away from your family and job. No cells, no razor wire fences, just a bunch of rules you will be expected to follow. Here's a link to the FPC Alderson (female prisoners) A&O Handbook with all of the inmate rules,
https://www.bop.gov/locations/instit...aohandbook.pdf

Even if you are sent to a federal detention center instead, a more "jail like setting", your time inside will be much tamer than the depictions of prisons on sensationalized television shows.

One day at a time, and never forget that it will be over soon.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:18 PM

My boyfriend was sentenced to 87 mos Federal time for a gun charge his release date is September​ 8, 2020. Is he eligible for the year off halfway house?? when is his release date??
The Following User Says Thank You to BriteIdeas For This Useful Post:
rks1170 (05-21-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 11:49 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

If his actual charges are considered to be "crimes of violence" he may not be eligible for any half way house time. If he is eligible, the "Second Chance Act" authorizes the bop to award up to 12 months in community corrections, but since it doesn't mandate it, very few inmates are awarded anywhere near that much HWH time.

bop Crimes of violence:

https://www.bop.gov/policy/progstat/5162_005.pdf
Old 06-02-2017, 07:00 PM

My husband is in federal holding awaiting his sentence, is there anything i can do, anyone i can call to try and help him out as far as programs go? Its his first time in the feds and we have no idea what to expect but would do anything to get him a low sentence, he has a pretty bad rap sheet so need help asap. Any advice would be grateful.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtkelly21 View Post
My husband is in federal holding awaiting his sentence, is there anything i can do, anyone i can call to try and help him out as far as programs go? Its his first time in the feds and we have no idea what to expect but would do anything to get him a low sentence, he has a pretty bad rap sheet so need help asap. Any advice would be grateful.

His counselor will tell him that when he gets to his prison.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:04 AM

My husband has been given a 40 month sentence by the judge on 27 April 2017. He had been detained for the charge overseas since 23 October 2014 and was remanded for another 62 days before for the same charge. The judge and government acknowledged all that time served will be included in jail credit. However 6 weeks have passed and until today there is no record found in BOP website. Why is this so and usually how soon we will know his designation? I called up BOP and they could not find my husband's record as well. We are very worried why there is no update in BOP.

Do you know how much time remaining my husband needs to serve and what could we expect after he completes his jail sentence as he is a non US citizen?
Old 06-07-2017, 08:58 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

His time in bop custody will depend on if he does receive the jail credits he is entitled to, every day he served while being held on the federal charges that resulted in the 40 month sentence, or not. He will also receive 156 days off for regular good time (@ 47 days for each 12 months of his sentence equaling 5 + months ). His lawyer should be contacting the bop to make sure that he receives all of the time off he is entitled to.

Since he is not a US citizen, expect an immigration detainer/hold, pending deportation, to be filed with the bop. He will then be moved to ICE custody at the end of his bop sentence. He will remain in that status (an ICE prisoner) until the deportation is heard in court, which could be for a very long time. He should consider waiving extradition if that will speed up his return home.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:46 AM

Default Jail time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadMonkey View Post
Thank you Howard.

What does 'jail credit' mean in this case? Is there some way to reduce this number?
My daughter went to jail 10/21/15, she was sentenced to 200 months 9/16, she recieved 2 yr tdcj, so will she be creditied these 2 years with federal or will she be starting from scratch when she arrives at BOP? and how long will she have to serve? It was a Possession of drug charge
Old 06-08-2017, 05:04 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison Talk and the federal forums.

I don't know if she will receive bop credit for the time she served in the Texas prison, but probably not. She will find out what the bop sentence computation folks in Grand Prairie have determined from her bop unit team, and if she doesn't receive credit she can file an inmate grievance for a second look.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:08 AM

Default How to calculate. Time

My brother. Got 15 yrs but did 5 yrs jail time waiting. Hes been lock up since july 2012 went to fed prison 2016 how much time would. He have left thank u
The Following User Says Thank You to Angelmichigan For This Useful Post:
rks1170 (07-15-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 09:20 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Regular good time should have started being accrued from the first day he was locked up on the federal charges that resulted in his 15 year prison sentence (July 2012?). 705 days or 22 3/4 months. That date should be included in the computation of his "release date" on the bop inmate locator, sometime around June of 2025.

If it isn't, it is probably the result of a mistake in his jail credits, and he needs to file an inmate grievance to get it corrected.

He should also be eligible to spend the last part of his sentence in "community corrections", in a half way house or on home confinement instead of in prison. Maximum 12 months, but the bop unit team ill decide how much time, if any, he receives. He will still be "in bop custody" there.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Regular good time should have started being accrued from the first day he was locked up on the federal charges that resulted in his 15 year prison sentence (July 2012?). 705 days or 22 3/4 months. That date should be included in the computation of his "release date" on the bop inmate locator, sometime around June of 2025.

If it isn't, it is probably the result of a mistake in his jail credits, and he needs to file an inmate grievance to get it corrected.

He should also be eligible to spend the last part of his sentence in "community corrections", in a half way house or on home confinement instead of in prison. Maximum 12 months, but the bop unit team ill decide how much time, if any, he receives. He will still be "in bop custody" there.
Thank you very much
The Following User Says Thank You to Angelmichigan For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-15-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 10:58 AM

My husband was sentenced to 108 months on September 2011. He was charged with a nonviolent crime, is a US citizen and first time offender. He is in the RDAP program and release date is May 2019 on website. Does this already include his good time credit? RDAP? Can he still get half way house to make release date before what is listed on website. Or is the 2019 release date the soonest he can get out? Thanks
Closed Thread