Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Parents with Children in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Parents with Children in Prison For the parents of prisoners

Old 07-05-2018, 04:02 PM

Default Looking for a Program Allowing my Son to Access His Home Laptop

Hello, My autistic son, a computer techie, is in a California county jail for indefinite period (evading an officer/reckless driving). I'll save that story for Introductions. In trying to help him get through this with his sanity intact, I am posting something he requested. Does anyone know of a phone program for a laptop that he can call from jail phone (Securus) and that he can leave voice mail with? If you use Securus or something similar than you'll understand why he can't just call his computer and start talking. We need a program that answers his call, waits x number of seconds (I'll time it, but I think it's about 11 seconds when the automated voice says you have a call from so and so and do you want to accept). So after that, the computer phone would select 1 (like we do on our cell phones only however the computer does it.) Skype I know how to use, but we are looking for something to answer his call from his home laptop.

The reason for this is so that my son can talk to his computer. Yes he loves it that much - seriously, there are programs he can select from, made for the visually impaired, that let you interact on the computer using your voice and computer's audio. So once he can get his computer to answer his call, he can "write" his blog, "read" and "respond" to social media, and he can even work with others on sites like GitHub where techies write programs to help others.

Jail is just horrible. Fortunately he has a hobby he can do in there: read. But his passion is computer. His autism makes it hard for him to socialize. But if he can access his computer, he can and wants to connect with other likeminded people.

If anyone here is a programmer or knows a programmer or has any clue as to how we can program his home laptop so that he can call into it, using Securus, please let me know. Just to summarize, the phone on the computer would have to answer, wait till Securus says press 1 to accept. It could recognize the Securus voice or it could simply answer, wait x number of seconds and select one.

Not being a techi, this description is probably a mess. Please don't hesitate to ask me questions.

And I look forward to participating in your activism forum. Way before my son landed in the system, I have wanted to play a bigger role in prison reform.

Love to all you parents - it is so hard, but we have to be strong for our kids.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordan'sMom For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-05-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2018, 04:31 PM

Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Sadly, I doubt a jail would permit remote access to an outside computer. The risk of it being misused would be tremendous.

If they permitted unlimited use of computers, they would allow cell (i.e. smart) phones...
Charlie's Mom (07-06-2018), fbopnomore (07-05-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (07-06-2018), gvalliant (07-06-2018), miamac (07-05-2018), Ms Sunny (07-05-2018), safran (07-05-2018), Sarianna (07-06-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 05:08 PM

Thanked 3,002 Times in 1,805 Posts

This would absolutely never be allowed sorry Sometimes if I hit a button on my phone are calls are dropped. Things like that would never be allowed.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:12 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 23,120 Times in 8,167 Posts

Unfortunately for your son, when he was arrested he forfeited his right to dictate which activities he could resume in the outside world. No doubt a majority of the folks around him miss their internet access. As the above poster said, it would pose a huge security risk and with no way to monitor it, the county has no obligation to provide access.

You mentioned his autism, but also the accessibility for the visually impaired. Is this an issue for him? If so, he can request access to large print reading material or material in braille, or you can order a subscription to a large print magazine.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-06-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (07-06-2018), joybubby (07-05-2018), Sarianna (07-06-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 05:24 PM

Thanked 2,771 Times in 958 Posts

Even if this was allowed he would have to pay for the calls and would be limited by the length of a regular call. He might even be targeted by other inmates to use his computer to participate in illegal activities or other inmates might be jealous and could harass him. None of this matters because it never would be allowed but something to think about when asking for things out of the ordinary.

“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own”
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AndyS For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-06-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (07-06-2018), Sarianna (07-06-2018), sidewalker (07-06-2018), tatonkawia (07-08-2018), ToFaswife (07-05-2018)