Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MISC. > PTO ARCHIVES > Support & Reform Organizations
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Support & Reform Organizations Mention and discuss prisoner and family support organizations.

Old 10-17-2003, 02:34 PM

Default Worried about his mental health in seg

my son is serving 24-36 years for criminal mischief. he escaped several months ago and was placed in the control units in complete isolation. he has bi-polar,ptsd and other mental illnesses. in nebraska if you are in isolation you are not elgible for mental health. he is not a danger to others and has not hurt a soul. i am looking for anybody anywhere that may know a dr. that would be willing to write a short page on the effects of long term isolation especially in the mentally ill. i am currently doing a petition in nebraska requesting he be moved to general population. i feel if i can get a bunch of dr.s to write the effects of long term isolation and my petition i can take it to our senator and maybe get him back in population and back on his mental health. please if you can get anyone let me know and pass the word to others what i need i need all the help i can get. thanx
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2003, 11:24 PM

You might lookat the NAMI site. National Alliance for the Mentally Ill. They may have a chapter in your area.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:41 AM

I am also a member of NAMI and they can not help either. The cold hard truth is there is no help without public knowledge. But thanks I appreciate anything given to me if I haven't tried it I will.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:48 AM

Donna, I just actually called the facility and spoke with a member of the mental health team there and what was told to me was that....

mental health is available to any and all inmates UPON THEIR REQUEST!! The department can not force any program upon an inmate, it MUST be their decision to participate or the program will be of no help and that is a direct quote from staff at the mental health clinic in TSCI

So, you may want to try and dig a little deeper on why you aren't getting the treatment you say your son isn't getting!!!

Just trying to help!

A man is not where he lives, but where he loves
Old 12-22-2003, 10:30 AM

i recieved a letter from the warden stating he is in good mental health and the administrative regulations i have say he is not elgible for mental health therapy which there is a big difference. in therapy you can talk to someone with medication you can't you either take it you don't. in his case he was incoherent when they arrested him and he refused the medicine at that time. then he became deathly ill from something he apparently got when he was on the run and he hasn't been the same since. he almost died from refusal of medical care so i know he don't trust them.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:45 AM

ok, did he refuse that medical care? if so then it isn't the states problem if he escaped and did something and caused himself to get doped up?

By state regulation..........
Mental status evaluations are conducted on inmates within the first 30 days in segregated confinement status, and each 90 days thereafter.

It happens..... I know it does for a fact.

Old 12-22-2003, 02:01 PM

did not refuse the medical in fact begged for it and he gets a mental eval of 5 questions every 90 days which is not enough his problems need attention now
Old 12-23-2003, 01:13 AM

The psych eval consists of a lot more then 5 questions. I am not sure why you are being so defensive. If you are having this much difficulty with them then call the news station. Call the governor, call the press, cause i have seen alot but i have never seen them deny inmates all the things that you are complaining of...

Old 12-23-2003, 01:52 AM
Donation Award 

This may help...
http://www.bazelon.org/issues/criminalization/index.htm