Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey Parole, Probation, Halfway House, Community Service, etc.
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey Parole, Probation, Halfway House, Community Service, etc. All information & questions relating to parole, probation, halfway house, community service, electronic monitoring, etc. in New Jersey should be posted here.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:59 PM

Default Questions about Half Way Houses in NJ

Hey everyone... I'm very new to this, as my boyfriend just went in to jail August 14th. We're lucky in that his sentence was only a year (it seems like eternity to me) so I truly feel for you ladies out there, and cant imagine what most of you are going through...

Anyway, my boyfriend, Brad, went in for his 3rd DWI, and some other charges (5 counts of aggrevated assault against an officer). He is trying to get into a half way house, but no one is giving him any information, and I'm having so much trouble finding information online. He is a serious alcoholic, and has a drug abuse problem as well.

Can anyone give me ANY information about half way houses in NJ? How to get into them when you're locked up? Which ones are the ones linked to county jails? What should my first step be in trying to help him... ANYTHING. Your help would be greatly appreciated...I just want to help im in his goal to become healthy again...
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2009, 11:06 PM
He's home as of 11/5/09

You should look at the NJ forums! I'm sure there's plenty of people who can help you there, and they are local so they'll have hands on information. Good luck!
Old 09-14-2009, 11:07 PM
---------------

Thanked 5,778 Times in 3,498 Posts

Moved to the NJ forum. You should be able to find more answers here sweetie.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:59 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,167 Posts

I'm not too sure if county allows halfway houses since his sentence is very short, Halfway Houses are part of the state prison system as far as I know.
I would recommend he speak to the social worker/counseler there and ask.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:22 AM

From what I hear halfway houses tend to have drug and alcohol problems in them. So I am not sure that would be the best place for him, ifyou want to get him help. Thats just what i have heard, I dont know personally.

I Love Your Love The Most!!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:41 AM
You+Me+Love = Forever

Thanked 1,117 Times in 850 Posts

Good luck girl, yeah things are different when they are only in County. Like FMB said, HwH are part of the State Parole Office so if he will be serving his sentence in county jail I don't think they go to HwH... but again, like FMB said, tell him to check w/ his social worker there at the jail.

Good luck!

*~Meri~*

*~Courtesy of Stinkerbell~*

Old 09-15-2009, 07:48 AM
Registered Member
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,642 Posts

like they said...i'm pretty sure HWH are for state inmates. i know some counties, like essex, use HWHs when their county jail is over capacity....they throw petty crimes in the HWH to house them. if he got one year (not a 364) and will go to a state prison there are several requirements he would need to meet in order to go to a HWH. since his sentence is so short i am not even sure if he would meet the requirements. he also has to be classified as minimum security.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForMyBoy View Post
I'm not too sure if county allows halfway houses since his sentence is very short, Halfway Houses are part of the state prison system as far as I know.
I would recommend he speak to the social worker/counseler there and ask.

I know (because I spoke to one of the CO's at MCACC) that there is a definite possibility of him getting into a halfway house, but I know he has to do at least 90 days in house before he can be accepted in. He has a really serious alcohol/drug problem, and I know there are some houses that are specifically for rehab... I just don't know which ones these are, and how to go about getting him into one...
Old 09-15-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean123 View Post
like they said...i'm pretty sure HWH are for state inmates. i know some counties, like essex, use HWHs when their county jail is over capacity....they throw petty crimes in the HWH to house them. if he got one year (not a 364) and will go to a state prison there are several requirements he would need to meet in order to go to a HWH. since his sentence is so short i am not even sure if he would meet the requirements. he also has to be classified as minimum security.
He got 364, not a year. sorry! i'll be more specific haha
Old 09-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,167 Posts

No offense to the CO you spoke to but I highly recommend that he consult with the county's social worker. They would know the answer without a doubt. And if so, she/he could help him with the situation.
Whatever happens, I hope he's able to get the help he needs.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Registered Member
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,642 Posts

since he got a 364 he will stay in county. i dont think he would go to a HWH unless he is on county parole and they make him go to one as a condition of release.