Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 05-28-2020, 01:17 PM

Default Kintock Halfway House, Newark NJ

Hello all! My husband has learned that he may be going to Kintock Halfway House in Newark, NJ upon release from Elkton FSL in OH. We were hoping for home confinement but sounds like this place has remained open during the pandemic. Excited he will be closer to home after serving 12 years so far away from his family, but I can't find any information on this HWH. A few reviews on Google were old and not good. Can a prisoner request a different HWH in their region or this is a done deal? I'm a little nervous now. He will be under the supervision of this HWH for the next 8 months which is what he has remaining on his sentence. He completed RDAP which made him eligible for extra HWH time. Thank you in advance for any info.

Last edited by kika24; 05-28-2020 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: typos
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2020, 02:22 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,839 Times in 13,683 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Each HWH is a privately owned business operating under rules set out by the bop. Not being able to locate much information about them on the internet is common. Here are links to a few HWH's "resident handbooks or information", they are no longer called an inmate or prisoner even though they are still in bop custody until the end of sentence date.

https://docplayer.net/1960438-Clacka...-handbook.html
https://www.bop.gov/foia/rrc_hc_guidance_memo.pdf
https://www.bop.gov/business/docs/re...r_sow_2012.pdf

and the American Bar Association's 94 page article about the bop's pre-release procedures.
https://www.americanbar.org/content/...thcheckdam.pdf
Old 06-10-2020, 07:45 AM

Unfortunately you will not find a lot of information on HWH’s... anywhere. I found the best way to find out about a HWH is to speak with someone who has gone through the HWH and can provide you with a first hand account of what it was like (I know, that’s not any easy thing to do, to find someone who has gone through it). But in my experience, it was like pulling teeth to find ANY information on the HWH I was going to, even by people on the outside that I had look into it for me. Information on the facilities is not easily obtainable.

Again, it’s unfortunate... but that’s the way of the BOP and these facilities. It needs to change, in my opinion. But we all know that change in the Government, BOP and DOJ does not happen quickly... or at all sometimes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fockwulf For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 08:31 AM

His assignment is probably a done deal. There's not a whole lot of flexibility in HWH placements, which happen months and months beforehand.

Best advice, in addition to what's already been written above, is to aim for converting his HWH into home confinement ASAP. Rules vary, from place to place, but browsing through prior posts in this forum will give you an idea of the kinds of hoops you'll need to jump through, before you can bring him home.
The Following User Says Thank You to 99mtg00 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 12:56 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,839 Times in 13,683 Posts

In many instances there is only one half way house with a contract with the bop in each federal judicial district or city, so inmates either go there, or nowhere. HWHs and the US Probation Office where the inmate will transition to supervised release have often been instrumental in the HWH decision made by the bop unit teams at each prison.