Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Georgia that do not fit into any other Georgia sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:19 PM

Default Any legislation in the works for reducing life sentences in Georgia?

My LO is in Coffee Correctional Facility on a life sentence for armed robbery with a pen knife. (No injuries or death) He was sentenced under recidivist because he had one other felony. He was sentenced to life with parole but he won't be eligible until 2037. Does anyone know if there is any sentencing reform in the works? He was offered a plea deal of 13 years but he was not told it was still on the table once the trial began. I would like to see Armed Robbery without a firearm or injury taken off of the Seven Deadly Sins. What can I do to get this changed if there are no changes in the near future?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2019, 10:12 PM

Thanked 2,491 Times in 869 Posts

I don't think there are any future pending changes. This is GEORGIA and depending on the county you're sentenced in it can really make a difference.
I think there were a few discretionary changes made in terms of sentencing guidelines quite a few years back. Our son had already been sentenced and was a couple of years into doing his time. (He had reluctantly accepted the DA's offer of a mandatory 12 years.)
Our son is a first time offender and was a party to armed robbery....he did not have a gun but he was culpable since he was driving; he never got out of the car.
Growing up he was our easy child and never gave us any trouble. It's actually still pretty mind boggling and leaves our family and friends shaking our heads....even his attorney. This has been a very hard harsh lesson in more ways then one....a true eye opener for sure. We learned that the justice system was not what we had thought it was.
We are finally counting down and on our last year...Praise The Lord!! Throughout the years I have seen way too many discrepancies in our INJUSTICE system and it truly angers me. I know of other inmates that were fortunate enough to get their charges lowered below the Seven Deadly Sins and do half the time for actually being the one committing the armed robbery...some even were repeat offenders. SIGH!!!!
I know of two inmates right now that were given first offender (for armed robbery) doing less time ...and they will soon to be released. There is not a trace of them on the superior court or d.o.c. website...so they will leave prison...finish probation and be able to go back to society pretty much unscathed. I am happy for them but this really infuriates me when it comes to my son.
Crap my son's done more time than some that have actually committed murder/manslaughter.
I'm sorry about your loved one. This is a long road to hoe.

Here's an AJC news article that sums up GA's unequal justice.

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regi...SSHMJHVt6IVxO/

Last edited by Lordbew/us; 02-21-2019 at 10:31 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Lordbew/us For This Useful Post:
pilling5 (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 11:28 PM

Thank you for the article. I just want there to fairness in the sentencing. Like I said he was offered 13 years but after that his public pretender (not a typo) called him at the jail and told him they were going to try him as a recidivist and he could get life without parole. He was the one that had to figure out how to get it down to life with parole. He was not made aware that the plea deal was still on the table. They could have charged him with Robbery but they went Armed. This was in Dekalb County. He has been in for 11 years. If he had know the offer still stood he would have accepted it and would be home in 2 years, instead it is 19 years to go. Oh side note, he was sentenced to life on his birthday.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:03 AM

Thanked 1,972 Times in 777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilling5 View Post
Thank you for the article. I just want there to fairness in the sentencing. Like I said he was offered 13 years but after that his public pretender (not a typo) called him at the jail and told him they were going to try him as a recidivist and he could get life without parole. He was the one that had to figure out how to get it down to life with parole. He was not made aware that the plea deal was still on the table. They could have charged him with Robbery but they went Armed. This was in Dekalb County. He has been in for 11 years. If he had know the offer still stood he would have accepted it and would be home in 2 years, instead it is 19 years to go. Oh side note, he was sentenced to life on his birthday.
I hope you stay strong. It's never easy & change is slow to come but it is coming. Georgia has some newly elected state reps that are reform minded so the issue is still in play. Tomorrow is Justice Day at the Capitol & hopefully that will bring awareness. It's an all day event that brings together all of those wanting to make changes for a more fair system of justice. You might think of reaching out to an advocacy group. A good one in GA is the National Incarceration Association. http://joinnia.com They will be at Justice Day to speak up for our loved ones. The Justice Day events will be live streamed on Facebook so you might check for that too.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:48 AM

Thank you so much for that information. I am searching for advocacy groups within Georgia. It's hard because I live in Florida.