Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Straight Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Straight Talk The general Ex-Offender discussion forum. If you have done time, this forum is for you.

View Poll Results: How effective is visitation for our beloved inmates?
Extemely effective 966 86.87%
Very effective 109 9.80%
Somewhat effective 29 2.61%
Not effective 8 0.72%
Voters: 1112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2007, 07:37 PM
FOREVER 100,FOREVER TRUE
Donation Award 

I can just imagine. I can not wait until my time comes to visit my husband.

It is what it is...........
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2007, 02:04 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,776 Times in 636 Posts

I would say it is one of the biggest motivators for an inmate. For me, it was extremely hard. My family was so angry at me (they still are), that I had only one visit during my whole incarceration. We're talking both county time and Dawson. I would have loved to have visits. But on the upside of that, I became a stronger person for it. I used to hurt so bad for the girls who were used to having visits and then one weekend they would not get one and it would just tear them up and in essence cause problems in the dorm. Because they would be so upset that they would take it out on whoever was available. When my sister finally came to see me, it was right at two months before my release and when they called me out I just knew they had made a mistake. I can honestly say that visit was the hardest thing for me. It made me understand, how truly horrible of a situation I was in. I also saw, for the first time, how very much I had changed. But it was the following weekends as I kept hoping they would call me out again and the disappointment I felt every single time they did not.

So I would say that visits are vital to inmates.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:59 PM

Default he Loves Them

The Big Guy goes nuts if I can not make it up there to see him. He does not fuss or anything, he just gets in this state of depression.

He says that he just looks forward to seeing me and when he can't it just hurts him.

MFBD
Old 11-11-2007, 09:06 PM

My boyfriend's family has never been there for him in any way, so it's very important I stay active in his life and visit as often as I can.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:20 PM

my man gets really really upset if i have to cancel a visit im 9 hours away each way its really hard right now we do the best we can with phone calls and letters right now hopefully he will be home soon
Old 11-12-2007, 03:42 PM

Default This is an EXCELLENT Idea!!!

I travel from Florida to Louisiana to see my husband once a month. The visits are just as important to me as they are to him. I've picked up several other inmates families and girlfriends along the way. They help pay for gas and any lodging expenses. Plus it make the ride a lot shorter.

Most would pay anything to see their loved one. Especially the girlfriends. You might consider getting a van and making sure you have room for car seats as well. And you'll definately have to get a CDL license with a passenger endorsement since this is going to be your business.

Driving other people has it's downsides as well. And I'm not doing it anymore because I stay with my husband's Mom and won't bring anyone into her home. But it was nice when I did it.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:01 PM

Generally, according to what my friend told me visitation is very effective for them. Visitors are their connection to their outside world. Especially if they're on death row or LWOP, it's one of their few joys. Consider that some have been dumped by their families and friends and they're lonely. But like us on the outside they may go through tough times when they get depressed and don't want to see anyone.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:41 PM

i believe it is extremely important for your inmate to have visits. They need to know someone out here still cares for them. Hell even remember them. I know it has helped my man a great deal knowing that i'm here for him 110%. then going to see him just adds to that reassurance that no everyone has given up on him.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:31 PM
Home for Good
Donation Award 

Comparing my own experience where I had regular visitors every weekend, which made my life inside ... I won't say easier, but more bearable.. to those I saw who had little or no contact with the outside world, there is no comparison.

I think the overwhelming poll results say it all.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:52 AM
RT (R)

To my man, visits are what makes his life in there liveable. It gives him something to look forward to. If I cant make it sometimes he gets very depressed.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:26 PM

I can say my boyfriend looks forward to his visits and he wants to know who is coming and when. He loves his visits, mail and phone calls.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:44 AM
miles to go b4 I sleep
Donation Award 

Visits are very important. My fiance was two hours away (one way) and I was able to visit him 3-4 times per month. He just got moved the week before Christmas to over 6 hours away (one way) and is depressed because he's unable to see me now until at least February when I will have a four day weekend to be able to travel up to the Upper Peninsula to see him.

If rehabilitation is the key, then why don't they have inmates placed closer to their loved ones to enforce strong family relationships??

Old 02-14-2008, 04:01 PM

Visit's are extremely important. I look forward in seeing him every week just as much as he look's forward in seeing me. I believe it is important to both parties. And important for the children too.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:03 PM

Handle Your Buisness Woman That Is A Great Idea And Will Help Alot Of People Out Here Unable To Get To Their Loved Ones. And It Will Help Their Loved Ones Make It Through Another Day.

"Love is not a mystery, it is everything."
Old 02-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Donation Award 

Extremally effect for me and my husband that is what has kept our marriage together for the last 28 years
Old 03-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Im Lost Without Him!

My man lives for visitation...transportation is an awesome idea!
Old 04-02-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm the luckiest girl!!

Agreed! I wouldn't have to rent a car and could possibly come out more often!
Old 04-02-2008, 11:37 PM
keep the faith

Post Visitation Is Mandotory

I AM VERY BLESSED TO HAVE A JOB WHERE I CAN TAKE THE WEEKENDS OFF TO DRIVE UP NORTH TO SEE MY FIANCE EVERY WEEKEND. HE IS A INDETERMINATE SENTENCED LIFER BUT HE WILL BE COMING HOME WITHOUT A DOUBT IN MY MIND. WHEN THE FAMILY VISITS THE PAROLE BOARD LOOKS AT THAT AS A POSITIVE. KEEPING FAMILY CONNECTIONS. TO ALL THOSE WIVES, COUSINS, BROTHERS, NIECES, NEPHEWS AND CHILDREN OR PRISONERS OUT THERE WHO CAN VISIT TRY TO VISIT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE AND WRITE LETTERS EVEN WHEN YOU DONT FEEL LIKE IT ALL OF THAT COUNTS.....
Old 04-12-2008, 08:59 PM

my man says that if it weren't for visits and letters he wouldn't be able to take it in there. It is what keeps his spirits up everyday.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:30 PM
I love my hubby!!!
Donation Award 

it is just like mail it means alot
Old 04-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Down to Ride
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,857 Times in 2,449 Posts

Absolutely very important, only connection to the outside world. My husband goes to bed very early when he knows I am coming, all his friends crack on him and knock on the door all the time, telling him hes trying to make the visit to come faster. My husband is 2 hours away and gas is very expensive. I try to go at least twice a month. The visits are about 4 hours, but back then when he was in county but not my county I would drive 30 miles to visit him for 20 minutes a day three times a week. Its crazy now I think about it. I have spent the biggest part of my life in visiting rooms or in the waiting room to visit. Crazy, but he says my time is coming.

He better take damn good care of me when he comes home

Its hurting you, but its killing me.....

Old 06-23-2008, 09:28 PM

Thanked 2,531 Times in 2,415 Posts

My husband has been gone for over 6 years and the I think the visits are very important to his well being and it keeps us connected in a way that we can't get in letters or phone calls. Although the DOC manages to keep moving him farther away, it used to be a 5 hour drive and now it takes over 7 hours to get there. But in November, it will all be over and all we have to do is walk in the next room to see each other. Oh, that sounds so nice.....
Old 06-24-2008, 02:24 PM
His LilMissWifey

My husband has said many times that seeing me was his one piece of sanity that he knew he could depend on it! That time in the visit room takes the away from the horror they deal with on a weekly basis!

I use 2 b Zhane!
2008 only gets GREATER
Unless you've lived my life, Don't Judge Me because You Don't Know, Never have and Never Will Know Every Little thing & Detail About ME!
Old 06-30-2008, 07:58 AM
The Future Mrs. W.L.C.

My fiancee and I both NEED the visits. We love spending time with each other. It's a time where we can just focus on us, and it also breaks up the monotony of his day. Visits help us to press on and strengthens us both. I thank God for the visits, without them I think we both would be crazy.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:14 PM

I'm sure all appreciate having someone from outside having a normal conversation with them, and spending a few hours with little aggression going on around them, take their minds off their current situation for a little bit.