Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada Prisons & Jails Visitation, Phones, Packages & mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Canada Prisons & Jails Visitation, Phones, Packages & mail This forum deals with all the ins and outs of the Canadian Prison and Criminal Justice System, including Phones, Mail, Packages, and visitation.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:58 PM

Default Times an Inmate Can Use Phones? Daily schedules?

Trying to get fully prepared because sadly it looks like I will be going in - what is the schedule like for using phones? I imagine its different in assessment then afterwards, but what times of day can an inmate use the phones? I want to be able to talk frequently with wife, kids, brother etc. but I want to prepare them for when I will likely be able to call.

Also, is there scheduled times that are known for waking up, lights out, exercise (incl. gym time- weights), jobs, etc.??? I really just want to be mentally prepared and also have my family ready for when to expect phone conversations,

I will be in Federal, and in Ontario.

Many thanks for all help anyone can offer.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrisonQuestion_ View Post
Trying to get fully prepared because sadly it looks like I will be going in - what is the schedule like for using phones? I imagine its different in assessment then afterwards, but what times of day can an inmate use the phones? I want to be able to talk frequently with wife, kids, brother etc. but I want to prepare them for when I will likely be able to call.

Also, is there scheduled times that are known for waking up, lights out, exercise (incl. gym time- weights), jobs, etc.??? I really just want to be mentally prepared and also have my family ready for when to expect phone conversations,

I will be in Federal, and in Ontario.

Many thanks for all help anyone can offer.
I believe it depends on which institution you're in. For my husband, he has access to a phone from 7am to 10pm excluding when they are having their meals and when they are having count done. This of course changes if the prison is on lockdown. Then no phone calls are able to be made. Please note that there could be a 3 weeks transition period before the phone number is approved that you won't be able to make any phone calls. Good luck!
Old 02-26-2018, 10:54 AM

Hopefully this is not too late a reply.

I definitely recommend you get as much money as you can afford onto your account before going to the assessment unit. Bring cash with you to sentencing and have more brought into your detention centre. Getting cash to you once you are at Joyceville will be a problem for at least a month.

I also recommend setting up a Trappcall line before you go to Joyceville so you have that number to put into the permitted calls. Your first calls are going to be collect calls until you get a calling card. Trappcall will make this a lot cheaper if you'll be making a lot of phone calls.

The calling card can only be filled up with money on the first day of the month and then it takes a week to appear on the card. Depending on when you get to Joyceville, this could be a long time.

Phones seem to be easily available much of the day. My son calls his fiancee almost every morning around 7:30am and talks for the full hour. Evenings and weekends are busier but he still manages a few calls.

There is not much to do so I would arrange your TV asap as well. Apparently, you pay for cable so you might as well use it. Try Odessa Hardware or if Kingston is handy to someone you know, they can deliver the TV right into Joyceville.

For exercise there is a gym (the Yard) with all the equipment you could need and a track to run on. Access seems to be for a couple of hours daily -- afternoon and evening, not really sure.

Once you finish your assessments, unless you need a program - substance abuse or violence -- there is not much to do. My son reads a lot, works out, runs, watches TV and talks on the phone. You won't get a job until after assessment.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:
HomeFaith (02-28-2018), onparoleinTO (05-28-2018)