Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Texas Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:43 PM

Default Phones that are accepted by TDCJ?

I found some older topics on here that talk about what phone carrier we can have to be able to get phone calls from our loved ones I tried using the one I have which is a straight talk and when he was in Georgia it was no problem I could use it but now Texas is a different story it's not allowed I'm trying to decide whether I need to just bite the bullet and get a phone from a company that is twice as much a month in order to get phone call from him what phone carriers do you all have that are acceptable but they will let you get phone calls from our loved ones on I'm not sure where to go with this any help would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2019, 11:09 AM
Green Eyed Monster

You can get a POTS (plain old telephone line or home phone) from a local carrier or it must be a cell phone line that is on a contract. The phone must be in your name.

The Following User Says Thank You to 4Bobby For This Useful Post:
DebSic (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 11:55 AM

I've been trying to find a landline carrier but I live out in BFE and there's not any carriers around here that I found so far without having to get a television service and satellite service for internet so I'm looking at that also but God knows I don't want have to pay that much money every month I did hear that family mobile from Walmart is can be used but I don't know if that's still accurate
Old 09-07-2019, 07:38 PM

Hi.. Did you find out if it was still true or not?? I'm looking for same post paid service? I did call them at first customer service rep had no idea then he said if they had my security questions that they would verify my account which made me suspicious because even prepaid accounts do that! Let me know what you find out please and I'll do same my next option is getting house phone and I don't want because I'm always on the go! And I'm afraid to miss his call! Speaking of are you allowed to forward the calls to cell phone?

Old 09-07-2019, 07:41 PM

I don't think you can forward the phone calls see that's why I want to cell to that they can call. Most of time I'm not at home for the home phone well I was reading it on some of the older articles on here and then I did check it out with the family mobile themselvesand they said that they can be used because they are considered a postpaid phone but I haven't been able to find out from Texas prison system if they actually do still accept that yeah when I find out I'll I'll definitely post on here
Old 09-10-2019, 10:18 AM

Hey I went ahead and got family mobile I purchased phone from. Walmart set up the account then went online to my family mobile added my address and phone number from dl or id to match and did the Texas family and friends phone 1800 number not the online one cause if you do online it doesn't work and so I called it says is not prepaid then rep asks what plan I said family mobile powered by TMobile from Walmart she said ok and she 3 way them she verify the information I typed in earlier address name and such and she said I was approved that was 9-9-19 today 9-10-19 I was approved receive calls from my loved one so go get our phone and set up quick and easy!!

The Following User Says Thank You to MSGARCIA1992 For This Useful Post:
DebSic (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 11:08 PM
Love My❤

Hi so the Wal-Mart family plan is being approved
The Following User Says Thank You to abelnjuanita For This Useful Post:
MSGARCIA1992 (09-14-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 11:13 PM

Thank you so much for letting us know that that will save me a lot of money of having to get cable TV with the phone plan and all that crap thank you thank you thank you for letting us know I'm going to order mine now none of the Walmarts were live carry them in the store some will have to order my phone online
The Following User Says Thank You to DebSic For This Useful Post:
MSGARCIA1992 (09-14-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 06:22 AM

Does it have to be a specific minutes plan to be able to use it or does it matter which one it is can it be the basic plan or more advanced plan more expensive
Old 09-14-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abelnjuanita View Post
Hi so the Wal-Mart family plan is being approved
Yes they do work! Im so happy they do!!!

Old 09-14-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebSic View Post
Does it have to be a specific minutes plan to be able to use it or does it matter which one it is can it be the basic plan or more advanced plan more expensive
No it doti bought cheapest phone 25.00 purchase cheapest plan 25.00 I still have my other phone I just pay jpay emessage him the number so he can but at least I know its set up

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MSGARCIA1992 For This Useful Post:
DebSic (09-14-2019), Firebrand (09-14-2019)