Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:18 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,106 Times in 1,200 Posts
Post Dow and S&P Turn Negative for 2018 as Stocks Continue to Slide

Quote:
Stocks fell sharply on Wednesday as growing Wall Street pessimism pulled two major U.S. indexes in negative territory for 2018. The October sell-off is the second major market downturn of 2018 and comes two weeks before the midterm election. Unemployment remains close to record lows but the fading stock market could hamper Republican efforts to maintain control of Congress by touting the strong economy.
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/4...s-stocks-slide

Tired of winning yet?
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (10-24-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2018, 06:32 PM

Thanked 1,454 Times in 599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
Tired of winning yet?
Been watching this last few weeks. I got scared and sold what little I had in the market earlier this year.

I cannot understand or rationalize how high the markets have gotten. Is this what they call a correction or early stages of a crash? Like California earthquakes. You just know a big one is coming one day. How big and when?
Old 10-24-2018, 07:33 PM

Thanked 1,601 Times in 807 Posts

Unfortunately increasing interest rates, tariffs, and poor earnings continue to impact the market negatively.

Of course, Trump will blame others now for this as we know he takes no accountability and only wants credit for when it is up. The entire year's gains have been completely erased. If you're a long term holder, you have to consider when is a good time to buy. Because historically, the market always goes up, but with each day of drops in the multiple 100s it is not fun! I bought some more a couple weeks ago, and may have to look for some bargains again tomorrow for dollar cost averaging and hope for some turnaround!
Old 10-24-2018, 08:27 PM
Always Remembered

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,833 Times in 11,078 Posts

He's going to blame the Fed, his current whipping boy.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
He's going to blame the Fed, his current whipping boy.
For sure!
Just like when he loses the house, he already is saying it isn't because of him!
Old 10-25-2018, 03:38 AM

Thanked 11,099 Times in 6,007 Posts

and yet there remain buying opportunities...I've actually increased positions in some areas. The sell-off in others allowed for a profit when I had shorted some over-priced issues...

Selling a dip is NOT the way to make money, especially if the stock in question was one producing dividends. Good example are some of the oil stocks...does not matter if the stock price dips provided the dividend rates remain the same. Thus DRIPs become even more viable in corrections...
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Nickel Timer (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
and yet there remain buying opportunities...I've actually increased positions in some areas. The sell-off in others allowed for a profit when I had shorted some over-priced issues...

Selling a dip is NOT the way to make money, especially if the stock in question was one producing dividends. Good example are some of the oil stocks...does not matter if the stock price dips provided the dividend rates remain the same. Thus DRIPs become even more viable in corrections...
I bought more this morning as well. Also, always take advantage of DRIPS!! Two of the first Five stocks I ever bought were Walgreens and Johnson and Johnson in 1990. Both have been huge cash cows for me all these years later, and the dividends increase every year and my shares just compound. The splits, although none in recent years have been nice too! One of my other first stocks, is about to go bye bye because it's being bought out for cash. My biggest problem is I become emotionally attached to my stock, so I am sad that with this particular stock, I'm getting cash as opposed to stock in the company buying it since I've had it since 1990 when I was 22. But can't complain about the profit (just the taxes I have to pay - lol).

As for tomorrow..it may be another bloodbath, considering Amazon and Alphabet missed on some of their numbers so afterhours, Amazon took a major beating..down 132 after being down close to 200..yikes. That's one I went into today and was so happy it went up 117, but it gave it all back after hours. Crap!!

Analysts do think the correction however, is near over. We can only hope!!

You're a bold one for shorting stock. That's like playing craps and betting the don't!! Not in my blood to bet against the shooter!!
Old 10-26-2018, 01:27 AM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,106 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
Analysts do think the correction however, is near over.
I don't know, been coming across quite a few articles lately about how the "smart money" is beginning to pull out.

Plus you have the fact that so many boomers are retiring now and pulling money out of the market, while so many millennials are refusing to invest.

I don't think we're near bottom yet, and I don't think we're going to be seeing growth over the next 30 years anywhere like what we've seen over the last 30 either.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
choclgs (11-01-2018)