Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > South & Central America, Caribbean Prison & Criminal Justice Topics
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South & Central America, Caribbean Prison & Criminal Justice Topics Discussions and Information about South and Central American and Caribbean Prisons, Jails, the Criminal Justice System, etc.

Old 05-18-2006, 09:40 AM

Default Son detained in Bolivia-anyone else in the same situation?

Hi, I am new here. I was hoping to connect with other people who have family members detained in Bolivia or other South American countries. I need as much info as I can get on the legal/prison system there. Or anyone who just wants to talk.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2009, 08:00 AM

I hope your son is out of prison by now.
Im new here, have a relative in Brazilian prison. He has been there for 1 month now and Im in the same situation as you were in (in 2006).
If you have a need for sharing informations, advices, talking I would really appriciate it.
I see that noone has answer your old mail so maybe this web is useless...?

Kind regards,
Salander
Old 06-21-2009, 10:28 AM

Default Thank you for responding!

Dear Salander,
Thank you for responding to my old post. As you could see no one else ever did.
Sadly my son, age 26, died in the Bolivian prison, Chonchocoro, on March 31, 2008. He suffered many horrible things there and could just not manage to stay alive. I have been heartbroken since.
I know what you are going through. I would be happy to correspond with you and share anything I know about South American prisons, how to get help, or just talk when you need to. I know how hard it was for me to feel alone and helpless. Although prison talk is a great place, there are not many people in the same situation as ours.
Please feel free to Email me any time. I would like to hear about your relative in Brazil and how you are doing.
Best wishes to you,
Dawna
Email removed as per PTO policy. Please PM member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salander View Post
I hope your son is out of prison by now.
Im new here, have a relative in Brazilian prison. He has been there for 1 month now and Im in the same situation as you were in (in 2006).
If you have a need for sharing informations, advices, talking I would really appriciate it.
I see that noone has answer your old mail so maybe this web is useless...?

Kind regards,
Salander

Last edited by Keltria; 06-28-2010 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: e-mail addy
Old 06-21-2009, 05:33 PM

Dear Dawna,
Im so VERY sorry about your son!!!

Thank you for answering and for your e-mail adress, Im writing a letter to you now to your Email. Feel free to write when ever you need to talk
Warm wishes

Email removed as per PTO policy. Please PM member.

Last edited by Keltria; 06-28-2010 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: email addy
Old 06-24-2009, 04:10 PM

Thank you so much.
Yes, Please do write a letter to my email. I am sure we can help one another, at least we can share info.
Peace to you,
Dawna
Old 06-16-2010, 04:19 PM

I just stumbled across this thread and read your heatbreaking story and felt compelled to reply. The circumstances surrounding your son's death is more than most could endure and I admire your strength. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:58 AM

Default Thank you

Thank you so much for taking the time to write.

You may be surprised what you can endure when you are placed in a situation and have no choice.
You can curl up and die, (believe me I felt like this for a very long time and still do sometimes) or you can go forward and try to make something of the experiences you have had in life, even if they are unimaginably horrifying.
I have tried to make some sense out of it all by helping others in the same place as I was and am.
I hope I can make a difference it at least ones persons life in the name of my son.
There are so many people that go to foreign countries are put in to prison, whether innocence or guilty, and die from inhuman conditions, lack of shelter, food, water, toilets, disease, violence and indifference. It is so hard to wrap ones mind around the fact that people do these things to other people.

There is a woman I am trying to help in Bolivia now (she is from Uruguay) that has been in for 5 years has not had a trial and is facing thirty years. She has three children back in her country.
She will die there if she is not released. The judge wants three thousand dollars to release her. That is typical of these countries. It is all about who you can pay. We have three weeks to raise it. We will see how it goes.
Once again thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers, I can use and appreciate every one.
I miss my son so much I can hardly stand it sometimes. But life continues and I know he would not want me to waste my time here but to do something to make it a better place.

Peace and love to you.
Dawna
Old 11-09-2010, 02:57 AM
Believer in hope

I am saddened to read of your loss and enormously admire that you are channeling your energies into helping others who find themselves in similar terrifying position as your son did.

You mention the Lady from Uruguay that you are trying to help in Bolivia, how is that going, did the money she needed get raised?

I am saying a prayer for you and your Son.

Alec.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:15 AM

Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers, they really mean allot to me.
Unfortunately we were not able to raise the money for Alda, the Uruguayan woman in Bolivian prison. She is still there awaiting her fate.
She was ill and needed to have a hysterectomy, which I was able to help her pay for otherwise they would have let her die without it.
She is recovering slowly but surely. I have been able to get her money to pay for food and supplies through her embassy there, however they will do nothing more than that to help her, only deliver funds or sometimes buy her things with the money I send.
We have had a few people from a missionary group go to see her and at least provide moral and spiritual support. The poor girl I just don't know how she will survive for 30 years.
We do the best we can with the resources we have in hope we can make a difference in at least one persons life.
I am determined that my sons death will not be in vain. That I will do what I can and share the knowledge and information I have to help whomever I can.
Blessings to you Alec.
Dawna
Old 11-10-2010, 02:34 AM
Believer in hope

You have done fantastically well to get money to her for her operation and also supplies.

Is there anything I can do to help? Is there anyone we can petition, nag, whine to or generally bug to try and help her? Is there an online focal point for highlighting her predicament ?

I may be able to send a little money myself in a few days, what is the easiest way of arranging that?

Your efforts are inspirational and I would love to help in any way I can.

I am certain your Son is watching and is enormously proud of you.

Alec.

<3
Old 11-10-2010, 06:31 AM

Hello,
It is wonderful you would like to help Alda. There is always something to do. I have been trying to research repatriation laws between Bolivia and Uruguay. I think if Alda could serve her time in her own country she would be better off, with more humane treatment, and she might be able to have her family visit her.
Also prisoner transfer treaties. It is a bit more difficult because I do not speak Spanish. Do you? Alda speaks Spanish and Portuguese. When I call her I have to have a translator. I don't get to speak with her that often because of this.
I send money By western union to the ambassador to Bolivia at the Uruguayan embassy. So far this has worked for us and I have had no problems. Money goes father there than here of course. If I send 150 USD she gets about 1000 Bolivians. This buys her food and supplies for about 2 months. Not including medical or other things.
If we can find out about the repatriation laws then we would at least be able to then contact the appropriate officials to make that happen. Again any thing you would like to help with is appreciated even if it is just to keep her in your prayers.
Blessings,
Dawna
Old 11-10-2010, 07:36 AM
Believer in hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawna_s View Post
Hello,
It is wonderful you would like to help Alda. There is always something to do. I have been trying to research repatriation laws between Bolivia and Uruguay. I think if Alda could serve her time in her own country she would be better off, with more humane treatment, and she might be able to have her family visit her.
Also prisoner transfer treaties. It is a bit more difficult because I do not speak Spanish. Do you? Alda speaks Spanish and Portuguese. When I call her I have to have a translator. I don't get to speak with her that often because of this.
I send money By western union to the ambassador to Bolivia at the Uruguayan embassy. So far this has worked for us and I have had no problems. Money goes father there than here of course. If I send 150 USD she gets about 1000 Bolivians. This buys her food and supplies for about 2 months. Not including medical or other things.
If we can find out about the repatriation laws then we would at least be able to then contact the appropriate officials to make that happen. Again any thing you would like to help with is appreciated even if it is just to keep her in your prayers.
Blessings,
Dawna

Hi Dawna,

In answer to the points you raise, firstly, unfortunately I don't speak Spanish or Portuguese either. More encouragingly though, on the subject of money, I think I can manage to send 150 USD fairly soon (within a week or so), I will let you know when I have the funds and get the transfer details from you then.

I totally agree that if Alda can be returned to Uruguay it would dramatically improve her circumstances, what is her conviction status? Has she actually been convicted or is she still awaiting trial?

From my experience of repatriation, critical factors that tend to influence if it is approved or not tend to revolve around the following;

- Conviction status,

- Type of offence,

- How seriously it is perceived by the convicting country that the home country treats the offence (do they share similar penalties for the crime),

- Length of time served relative to the sentence (both pre and post conviction),

- Behaviour of the prisoner during incarceration,

- Whether there is any political mileage for the convicting country (or embarrassment),

- How much money can be raised to make the 'wheels' turn more smoothly.

I expect you have encountered Prison Fellowship International (google their name for their site if not), I know they operate in both Bolivia and Uruguay and wonder if they can/have helped at all?

I can check whether there is much of a precedent for repatriation between the two countries and will do so but I also I suggest you seriously consider whether it would be worth setting up a dedicated website on Alda's behalf.

A site would serve as a focal area for activities for her, show all concerned that she does have support, act as a fundraising point and also provide a platform to attract as much attention as possible to her cause which always useful when trying to influence authorities (being ever present and inconveniently loud can be surprisingly effective).

If you think this would be a good idea then I would be happy to help set one up.

I will send you my email address in pm in case you wish to send me any information that you may not feel is appropriate on an open forum (some of the questions I have asked above are pretty personal to Alda).

Let me know your thoughts,

Alec.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:51 AM
Believer in hope

Dawna,

I have been doing some background research on Alda's position (and the case history of her and your son) and I now have a clearer understanding of the challenge ahead of us.

With the case being so high profile we have the problem that President Morales took a personal interest (and made some sweeping, ill-advised statements than undoubtedly prejudiced the trial process), local media coverage was generally unfavourable and public opinion in Bolivia seems to be fairly set against her.

All of this will make any sort of campaign based on attempting to generate public and in turn political support for a transfer on humanitarian grounds within Bolivia very difficult.

Overall it appears that our best chance of making progress will come from an approach from outside Bolivia (either Uruguay authorities or recognised international organisation) to the Bolivian Government so it makes sense for us to direct the PR element of the effort in that direction rather than directly at Bolivia itself.

I will start to work on who would be best to approach and look at what methods have proved most successful for others who have done similar things in the past.

On the more legal side of things, I don't know what advice and representation is available regarding transfers/repatriation have you managed to find out much?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Alec.

Last edited by Englishhope; 11-11-2010 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: spelling