Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 02-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Time well spent..

I got a divorce through legal aid in 1993 and it cost me roughly $400. They had me wait a year and then turned my case over to a local attorney.
I used abandonment as one of my points. So while I waited I saved money to pay the attorney.
Best $400 I ever spent!
Best wishes with your LO.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:40 AM

Does anyone know any information on divorces in the federal prisons in or near Cincinnati Ohio?
Old 03-12-2012, 12:57 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,291 Times in 1,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewslovebug View Post
Does anyone know any information on divorces in the federal prisons in or near Cincinnati Ohio?
First thing I must say Ohio, is not one of the states that makes pro-se filing information easy to find. From what I have found out . You would file for divorce in the county in which the institution is located in. This is as long as the inmate meets residency requirements. . If the facility is located in Hamilton County, ( county seat for Cincinnati) The court of Domestic Relations is the court that handles divorce issues let me give you a couple of links here so you can look at some information first link is Hamilton County Court of Domestic Relations
http://www.hamilton-co.org/DOMESTIC/FormsProcedures/Forms.html
next link is to a Domestic Handbook http://www.hamilton-co.org/DOMESTIC/Court%20Forms/PDF%20Files/CDR%20Forms%20and%20Procedure%20Handbook.pdf
I will assume the inmate will be filing for divorce here. Reason for me saying this is service of papers to a Federal inmate takes a few different steps depending on the facility and the state the facility is in.
I hope this information helps some Let me put the link to Ohio Revised Code that pertains to XXXI DOMESTIC RELATIONS http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/31

I will try to locate an example of what your complaint should look like when filing for a divorce

Last edited by Patrickj; 03-12-2012 at 01:07 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patrickj For This Useful Post:
mrsnuke (02-26-2013), Onedaycloser13 (03-13-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 11:40 PM

Hello everyone..
Ok so I am trying to help my fiance with the divorce process so we can get married..He is in a CA facility... I believe I have all the paperwork links I need to print out..I have a few questions..
#1 Can I fill out the paperwork and send it to him for him to sign or Does he fill them out himself ? I really would probably prefer for me to fill them out that way I can make sure everything is filled out properly and do it right the first time.

#2 How can his ex be served if we do not have a current address just a couple old addresses that are out of the state of CA?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks in advance
Old 03-13-2012, 01:11 PM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMrsL View Post
Hello everyone..
Ok so I am trying to help my fiance with the divorce process so we can get married..He is in a CA facility... I believe I have all the paperwork links I need to print out..I have a few questions..
#1 Can I fill out the paperwork and send it to him for him to sign or Does he fill them out himself ? I really would probably prefer for me to fill them out that way I can make sure everything is filled out properly and do it right the first time.

#2 How can his ex be served if we do not have a current address just a couple old addresses that are out of the state of CA?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks in advance

As far as question number 1 yes you can fill out the paper work as long as you have the correct information to fill out all of the forms. If he is seeking a Fee Waiver he will need to fill out out that along with getting a certified copy of his Trust Account Statement from the trust office at the facility he is at. Be sure to provide enough copies for him to sign basically you need three copies one for each party and one that the court retains for the court file

Question number 2 is going to be an issue. Without knowing a current address to serve the respondent . The court will not allow you to proceed unless you serve the respondent properly. You may need to look in to different type of service. Just a little information Just mailing the paper work to the respondent will not fly unless the respondent is willing to accept service by mail Which means the respondent has to sign forms and return to the court acknowledging service by mail.
Now since the respondent is out of state you will need to review the service of a party out of state in the Civil rules of procedure and in Family Law Rules . Without the other party being served correctly your case go no where.
Onedaycloser13 (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 03:03 PM

Oh boy...this is going to be one mission..but I am willing to do whatever it takes.. What is your suggestion or anyone's on how to find this lady- we already tried the reverse phone lookup to try and call the numbers associated with the addresses and had no luck or would it just be easier to get the help from a legal aid.. ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj View Post
As far as question number 1 yes you can fill out the paper work as long as you have the correct information to fill out all of the forms. If he is seeking a Fee Waiver he will need to fill out out that along with getting a certified copy of his Trust Account Statement from the trust office at the facility he is at. Be sure to provide enough copies for him to sign basically you need three copies one for each party and one that the court retains for the court file

Question number 2 is going to be an issue. Without knowing a current address to serve the respondent . The court will not allow you to proceed unless you serve the respondent properly. You may need to look in to different type of service. Just a little information Just mailing the paper work to the respondent will not fly unless the respondent is willing to accept service by mail Which means the respondent has to sign forms and return to the court acknowledging service by mail.
Now since the respondent is out of state you will need to review the service of a party out of state in the Civil rules of procedure and in Family Law Rules . Without the other party being served correctly your case go no where.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:39 PM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMrsL View Post
Oh boy...this is going to be one mission..but I am willing to do whatever it takes.. What is your suggestion or anyone's on how to find this lady- we already tried the reverse phone lookup to try and call the numbers associated with the addresses and had no luck or would it just be easier to get the help from a legal aid.. ?
Since you have tried what you have tried you may want to look in to service by publication let me run down some info on that for you Legal aid is a good idea also
Onedaycloser13 (03-13-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 03:05 PM

PTO Moderator 

Default Approve methods of service for California

I went to my favorite California Court Self-Help site for information on Service
This link explains the different types of service that are acceptable and the steps that need to be taken to do each different type of service . Here
is the link http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-serving.htm

If you have questions let me know I will try to answer them for you
FutureMrsL (03-15-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 05:32 AM

Default divorce

Ok quick question....since me and the husband are common law married in tdcj eyes...do we have to get a legal divorce....
Old 03-20-2012, 05:54 AM

My guy is a california inmate housed in Arizona, he wants to get a divorce, Im confused on where to start . Can anyone give me advice? thanks : )
Old 03-20-2012, 09:45 PM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilsblondie View Post
My guy is a california inmate housed in Arizona, he wants to get a divorce, Im confused on where to start . Can anyone give me advice? thanks : )
He would file in AZ if he has been there 90 days or more AZ would be his state of residency for divorce. Unless he can get his future ex to file in the county in which she resides. Let me know what county he resides in . I will get you some information on the subject I know certain county have divorce packets with forms and directions to follow
Old 03-20-2012, 09:50 PM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS CEO View Post
Ok quick question....since me and the husband are common law married in tdcj eyes...do we have to get a legal divorce....
I believe so, Here is the link http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/
You will find the Family Code here look at Chapter 6 of the Family Code
Old 03-21-2012, 04:14 PM

i believe its pinal county.... he is in Eloy Az. Thank you I really appreciate it....

Last edited by gilsblondie; 03-21-2012 at 04:15 PM..
Old 03-21-2012, 09:01 PM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilsblondie View Post
i believe its pinal county.... he is in Eloy Az. Thank you I really appreciate it....
Yes he is in Pinal County at least the facility is I should say
I didn't ask , now I will are there any minor children involved in this marriage? Reason for the question is different form packets are used if children are involved Let me give you the link to Pina County superior Court forms page. http://pinalcountyaz.gov/Departments/JudicialBranch/ClerkoftheSuperiorCourt/Pages/Forms.aspx
There are packets and individual forms on this page about all kinds of things but family law forms are here also. What I need to do is find the service process for out of state service since he is in AZ. and the respondent is in CA. out state service will apply here. Plus I need to review Arizona's Rules of Court also especially pertaining to Family Law.
Once I run this stuff down I will send you the links through a private message( P.M) Few other things I want to make sure of also
Little information to run down for you but should have it in about a day for you
For now I will give you a link to the form package for

DIVORCE
WITHOUT CHILDREN For Petitioner Only just take a look at what will need to be done

http://pinalcountyaz.gov/Departments/JudicialBranch/ClerkoftheSuperiorCourt/Documents/Downloads/FamilyLaw/Dissolution%20without%20Children%20Packet.pdf

Here is a link to a packet called

SERVICE OF COURT PAPERS FAMILY COURT CASES ONLY
http://pinalcountyaz.gov/Departments/JudicialBranch/ClerkoftheSuperiorCourt/Documents/Downloads/FamilyLaw/ServiceOfCourtPapers1.pdf
I haven't had a chance to review the procedures as of yet, by my next contact I will be better informed on this subject matter

Last edited by Patrickj; 03-21-2012 at 09:19 PM..
Old 04-06-2012, 10:05 AM

Default How does an inmate get a divorce?

So currently my boyfriend is in Texas state jail. He has been apart from his kids mom for almost two years. He wants to get divorced because she won't do it. She served him child support papers recently but she took the kids and left and won't tell him were they are. Any advice on how he can go about this?or anything I can do to help him?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:24 AM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by memie0311 View Post
So currently my boyfriend is in Texas state jail. He has been apart from his kids mom for almost two years. He wants to get divorced because she won't do it. She served him child support papers recently but she took the kids and left and won't tell him were they are. Any advice on how he can go about this?or anything I can do to help him?
My first advice is that he consults with an attorney. Wit that said here is a link to most forms that he would need to a for a divorce in Texas.
http://www.texaslawhelp.org/documents/clusters/TX/433/English/index.shtml
If he isn't going to be in jail any length of time it wouldn't be of his best interest to file while in jail . If he is on his way to state prison wait until he get assigned a facility and meets the residency requirements of the county in which he would be residing in. One other note since he will be filing and is in custody the mother will get 100% physical custody of the minor children
When he gets ready to file check the county in which he will be residing for any local Rules of court and local forms. He may want to give some one a power of attorney also for him . There is more but this should give you an idea of what is needed and what needs to be done
Old 04-06-2012, 12:32 PM

Thank you this helps no he won't be in long he has done five months and has 60 days left. I appreciate the start. I've never gone through divorce or child support and he was asking me for help.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:06 PM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by memie0311 View Post
Thank you this helps no he won't be in long he has done five months and has 60 days left. I appreciate the start. I've never gone through divorce or child support and he was asking me for help.
Just my opinion here ( yes I know opinions are like assholes everyone has one and they both stink ). Have him wait until he is out, that way he won't have the issue of being locked up. He can handle things for himself, which will be a lot easier on both you and him.
On the subject of the current child support matter be sure he responds and ask for a continues until he can appear At least respond to the summons or else the wife will get what she wants by default
Onedaycloser13 (04-07-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 11:40 AM

Good afternoon.

I am posting inquiries on behalf of a friend who is currently incarcerated in KY and intends to file divorce, or annulment if possible, from his spouse whom he met through a mutual friend and, out of what seemed like desperation, married in Nassau County in Long Island, New York in 2007. When they got married, my friend was already incarcerated for gun charges. There is no child involved.

According to him, he hasn't had her visit since the initial ones and has stopped hearing from her once he became unable to provide financial help. She basically disappeared with a ring as soon as the vows were exchanged. He does not know how much of what she had said is true. For example, she told him that she was a home health care provider. He had money sent to her for a car to make it easier to visit, and it turned out that she had never earned a license, never got the car, and just made excuses for things that she used the money for. Further, she had started using his personal information to secure credit cards in his name.

He had asked her to file a divorce from her end because she had grounds based on his term of incarceration. She agreed to do so, but no action has been taken thus far. Last time he heard from her, she said she would not contest. Because of the pattern of her dishonesty, he is not sure of what to expect from her at this moment. He had attempted to file it on his own but become stumped when a 120-page packet arrived from Nassau County. He still has 19 more months to serve, but he wishes to re-start the divorce/annulment process as soon as possible.

What grounds can my friend have to file a divorce? Does he have any grounds for an annulment? Any advice from registered users here would be appreciated. I did look over some of the information in this forum on the NY divorce, and it was helpful. Yet, my friend's situation seems a little different...

Again, thank you for your help in advance...
Old 04-18-2012, 03:02 PM

I need to know if an inmate in Kentucky can get a free divorce, He is currently held in the Marion Adjustment Center, but is from Ballard Co ky and was married there as well. He says he has to have $150.00 to file, but I dont have the money.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:28 PM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicashae2012 View Post
I need to know if an inmate in Kentucky can get a free divorce, He is currently held in the Marion Adjustment Center, but is from Ballard Co ky and was married there as well. He says he has to have $150.00 to file, but I dont have the money.

If he doesn't have the funds to pay his filing fee he should submit a In Forma Pauperis (Waiver of Court and Service Fees) Check with the Clerk of the court for this form. .
Old 04-22-2012, 11:00 PM

Default Divorce while in prison

I am looking for tips/advice for an inmate in AZ wanting/needing a divorce. Does anyone know if it is possible and how he would go about getting it filed?? He should be out no later than October. Thanks!!

Old 04-22-2012, 11:13 PM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgreenthumb67 View Post
I am looking for tips/advice for an inmate in AZ wanting/needing a divorce. Does anyone know if it is possible and how he would go about getting it filed?? He should be out no later than October. Thanks!!
Couple of quick questions, that way I can direct you in the right direction. What county does he presently reside in ? Are there any minor children involved in this marriage? Does he have a physical address on his soon to be ex wife so he can serve her ?

Old 04-24-2012, 07:13 AM

I'm glad that I found this thread! My love is currently married to his Baby Momma. They have already agreed to a divorce. She was all gung ho about filing for it, but then he asked for her to wait till he comes home because of the kids. But now, he is saying he wants to get the divorce before he gets out, he wants us, him and me, to get married before he comes home. Granted I don't know if I want a prison wedding, but I love my man so much, it hurts sometimes, I just don't know.
So my question is, does anyone know if he can file in the state of oklahoma from prison???
Old 04-28-2012, 06:01 PM

Default Question re divorce

I am filling out the papers for divorce myself and need to know what to do before I send them to my husband in prison (Calif) do I need them notarized first? All of the packet? Should I send it certified mail? Do I have to wait for his part to be returned before I can file? Please advise...Thank you so much! No kids or property.