Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 08-19-2016, 07:29 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%skipsbitch View Post
Cool I will I already have fee waiver".....does he get notified that I dismissed it?
That would be up to you to do that if you choose. Since you are the Petitioner ( I will assume) You will be notified provided you provide a way for the court to notify ( Postage paid addressed envelope to you when you turn in the form.)
Old 01-06-2017, 02:29 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 9,496 Times in 4,004 Posts

Hi there and congratulations on your enagagement. If you need advice regarding a divorce there is a legal thread on here and hopefully will be ableto give you some information. Have a look here http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=155112. You will need to post which state he is in. Good luck.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
Old 01-06-2017, 02:47 AM
Be a voice Not an echo

Congrats - best wishes for your future together

Old 01-06-2017, 06:21 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,352 Times in 11,852 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Getting married will depend on the rules at his specific prison. Getting divorced will depend on the laws of the state where he is now, or possibly the laws of the state where they were married. Doing that from inside may be difficult, but you can help him with that process.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:01 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,954 Times in 15,117 Posts

I've merged this thread with the "Divorce in Prison" thread (Prison Legal Help forum) because asking how to get a divorce is more appropriate in Prison Legal Help than in Engagement / Wedding Announcements

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 01-31-2017, 10:00 AM
~Imperfection Is Beauty~

Good Morning..
quick ?
who would i have to contact in order to mail & have him served with the forms he needs to fill. He's Currently In Avenal State Prison.

Thank You
Have a wonderful day.
The Following User Says Thank You to mhrndz82 For This Useful Post:
littlebeach08 (01-31-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 07:53 PM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrndz82 View Post
Good Morning..
quick ?
who would i have to contact in order to mail & have him served with the forms he needs to fill. He's Currently In Avenal State Prison.

Thank You
Have a wonderful day.

First thing is Call Prison Litigation and ask them their procedure to serve a inmate legal papers. Now for many years this is how I have been doing it.
I send all the forms that need to be served on an inmate along with the form that the person doing the service must sign Proof of service of Summons FL-115 The counselor serves the inmate signs the FL-115 and returns it to you.
Make sure to provide a postage paid addressed envelope to you .
First check with Prison Litigation, I always do . If what you are trying to serve him is financial disclosure use this form for the counselor to sign Declaration of Disclosure (Form FL-140)
fbopnomore (02-05-2017), mhrndz82 (02-05-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 08:10 PM

My fiance has filed for divorce, can't find the wife so we got Judge's permission for notification by publication, did that, filed proof. He just needs a court date so he wrote the judge and asked for one (phone court) we still have not heard anything and that was 3 weeks ago. Is there a form I can file for him or something? Illinois vermilion County. He's been working on this for over a year now, this needs done and we are at the last step... Any information is appreciated!
The Following User Says Thank You to Karma82 For This Useful Post:
nimuay (04-21-2017)
Old 02-03-2018, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj View Post
Divorce is not a problem while incarcarated. If you would give a little more information on your friends location (state, county) I could probably guide you to most of the information that he would need . You need not post his information her in an open fourm. You cn get a hold of me through PM.
Maybe you could help me? My husband is in Tennessee & we were married in Tennessee. I now love in Arkansas. Can I file divorce papers here or do I have to go back to Tennessee to file them. I have no clue where to start & he gets out next year so I really need some help on how to go about this. Any help would b appreciated. Thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiff.madis.mom For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 01:19 PM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiff.madis.mom View Post
Maybe you could help me? My husband is in Tennessee & we were married in Tennessee. I now love in Arkansas. Can I file divorce papers here or do I have to go back to Tennessee to file them. I have no clue where to start & he gets out next year so I really need some help on how to go about this. Any help would b appreciated. Thank you!
Let me do a little research on this subject. I will get back with you on what I find Just off the top of my head if you have been a resident of AK 180 days or more you may be able to file in AK . Let see what the residency requirement are for filing a divorce in AK. I will also see if I can locate form information for you
Old 02-03-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj View Post
Let me do a little research on this subject. I will get back with you on what I find Just off the top of my head if you have been a resident of AK 180 days or more you may be able to file in AK . Let see what the residency requirement are for filing a divorce in AK. I will also see if I can locate form information for you
Its 60 days. I looked it up this morning. But I would love help with the right forms to fill out since he is incarcerated. He's been n jail for over 2 years but he is still at a county facility so I'm not sure about who to talk to about serving him with the papers. I also read that his incarceration was grounds for divorce. So would I just need to get a copy of his judgment? Thanks so much for your help!
fbopnomore (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 05:45 PM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Its 60 days. I looked it up this morning. But I would love help with the right forms to fill out since he is incarcerated. He's been n jail for over 2 years but he is still at a county facility so I'm not sure about who to talk to about serving him with the papers. I also read that his incarceration was grounds for divorce. So would I just need to get a copy of his judgment? Thanks so much for your help!

If you have been a resident sixty days or more you may file for divorce in Arkansas. Arkansas is a no fault state . Which means you really don't need a reason Next big question Any minor children involved in this marriage? To answer your question about him being in a county jail. There is a way to serve someone that is in custody in a county facility. Usually call the facility and ask what is their procedure for serving someone in custody legal papers.
Please go to this link and review the information at it.Arkansas Legal Services Online
On the bottom of the above page there is a section called other resources . Go to ARKANSA LAW this will take you to the Arkansas Code go to Title 9 Family Law click this then go to Subtitle 2. Domestic Relations click Chapter 12 Divorce and Annulment then click Subchapter 3-- Actions for Divorce or Alimony After reviewing the majority of this information you will be ready to file your own divorce Arkansas Legal Aid has a interactive way to assist you with your divorce.

Last edited by Patrickj; 02-03-2018 at 05:48 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Patrickj For This Useful Post:
nimuay (02-04-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 05:53 PM

Thank you so much!
Patrickj (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 05:56 PM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Thank you so much!

If you have any more questions ask away I will do my best to find you more information and directions
nimuay (02-04-2018), sidewalker (02-04-2018), Tiff.madis.mom (02-03-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 03:59 PM

Default Its over. Filing for Divorce

Does anyone know any of the logistics of filing for divorce when someone is in prison and will eventually be deported? Procedure etc.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:15 PM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsa5 View Post
Does anyone know any of the logistics of filing for divorce when someone is in prison and will eventually be deported? Procedure etc.
If you are legally married to this person you can file for divorce while they are in custody. Get your divorce When their sentence is done they will turn him over to IC E for deportation proceedings. If you are a resident of Illinois You can get your forms here Or here Illinois legal Aid On Line Divorce Let me know what state you reside in if it is different then Illinois
hamsa (03-07-2018), Sarianna (02-25-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanesfiancee View Post
I've searched extensively through that particular website with no help whatsoever. Thanks anyway!
website also wasn't particularly helpful for me and my situation :/
Old 03-06-2018, 09:04 PM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeychest View Post
website also wasn't particularly helpful for me and my situation :/
If you are seeking information to file for divorce in California. I can give you links to all the forms you will need. I can also give you a link to a step by step booklet that will show you how to fill out your forms. The county in which you file can provide you the information on filling fees, and or local forms used in Family matters. They also have Family Law Facilitators, that may help you with your matter. For California Divorce or Separation information go here for starters
There is a lot of information on the web that is trying to sell you kits and other crap.
Here is a few links that will direct you to Free and Low-Cost Legal Help
The State Bar of CaliforniaThe only person that may give you legal advice legally is an attorney. I can direct you to forms and where you file these forms. I can not provide you with legal advice
Old 03-06-2018, 09:15 PM

I'm sorry if this sounds dumb, but after I file the forms how do I actually end up with the proper attorney? What are the steps after that is basically what I'm asking?
Old 03-06-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry if this sounds dumb, but after I file the forms how do I actually end up with the proper attorney? What are the steps after that is basically what I'm asking?

The link Patrick provided above gives you everything you need to get free help from the Family Law Facilitator. If you want to go another route, then you would have to hire an attorney. I would go to the courthouse first and see what they have to offer. No harm, no foul.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to His_Queen13 For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (03-07-2018), sidewalker (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 09:45 AM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
If you wish to have an attorney in a Family Law matter represent you . Then you must hire an attorney. There is no such thing as appointed counsel in Civil matters(Family Law) There are other agencies that can help you obtain your divorce. If there are minor children involve, please speak with an attorney.
His_Queen13 (03-07-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 07:30 PM

Is it difficult to divorce my wife without a lawyer? I wouldnt think so..she is incarcerated in a womens prison and I am not coldhearted, just the opposite but alot has co.e to light since her arrest in feb. Do I really need a lawyer?
The Following User Says Thank You to DawnofShawn For This Useful Post:
joybubby (07-01-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 10:44 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,431 Times in 7,504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnofShawn View Post
Is it difficult to divorce my wife without a lawyer? I wouldnt think so..she is incarcerated in a womens prison and I am not coldhearted, just the opposite but alot has co.e to light since her arrest in feb. Do I really need a lawyer?
do you need a lawyer? no. Here's why you get one (and I hired one to handle my own divorce, so I'm speaking about this from practical experience on both sides of the equation):

1. if its going to be complex. Complex - there is property involved, children involved, and/or an investment account including but not limited to a retirement account.

2. if there's a jurisdictional consideration to make. just because you live in a particular county or a particular state doesn't mean you are entitled to a divorce in that county or state

3. you are adverse to the organizational requirements of getting a divorce. it is a lot of paperwork even if you have a relatively simple situation. you need to do the paperwork properly, effectuate service properly, get a court hearing properly or you'll just be delaying it. Look, some people are great at paperwork akin to doing taxes. Some people aren't. if school was not your thing, get an attorney. I mean, I don't do my own auto mechanics, dentistry, cabinet making, or the like. Could I try to do my own auto mechanics? I'm sure there's a YouTube video out there somewhere, but boy, I wouldn't trust a car I tinkered with - just not my forte. If paperwork, math, etc, are not your forte, get an attorney.

4. because there's a ratio involved emotionally. very few divorces are amicable, even if they start out that way. the truth of the matter is that relationships usually end with the same intensity that started, but without the fun. If you or your spouse are going to fight, get emotional, make it a mess (and it usually happens - the longer the marriage, the more so), then you need an attorney. it just makes your regular life that much calmer and easier.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-01-2018), missingdee (07-03-2018), mssirois2u (07-01-2018), nimuay (07-01-2018), Shelby67 (07-18-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 01:57 AM

I am trying to help my friend file for a divorce from Wasco. Although I think I have most of the information correct, I'm a little confused about how to complete the fee waiver requests. Do I just enter $0 for all of the income questions? Or can I just check the box stating that there is an attachment and have him write a note explaining that he is incarcerated?
Old 11-04-2018, 02:27 PM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavandAng View Post
I am trying to help my friend file for a divorce from Wasco. Although I think I have most of the information correct, I'm a little confused about how to complete the fee waiver requests. Do I just enter $0 for all of the income questions? Or can I just check the box stating that there is an attachment and have him write a note explaining that he is incarcerated?

If said individual is a inmate he will need to have the Trust Office give him a certified copy of his trust account statement which is attached to the Fee waiver application before he submits his request for a Fee Waiver.

Last edited by Patrickj; 11-04-2018 at 02:37 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Patrickj For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-04-2018), JavandAng (11-04-2018), LaDeanaB (11-05-2018)