Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Recidivism and Re-entry
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Recidivism and Re-entry Share information, research, and personal experiences.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:13 AM

Default Help with TWIC card

My brother got out on Jan 1 after serving 12 years he has a job lined up but this stupid TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Credential) card is keeping this wonderful job from him. This card is required for anyone who will be going in and out of ports, anyone had luck gettting this card, it looks like this conviction is the one keeping him for getting this government required card SECOND DEG.MURDER,COMM.OF FELO
Any help would be appreciated, I just want to help him get a new start on life he was 17 when arrested and just turned 30 this month and has never held a job.
Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and for any help offered.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2008, 04:00 PM
2008Tea Party-CA Co-Chair

Thanked 2,531 Times in 797 Posts

These are the offenses that bar anyone from getting the TWIC card. It says murder, but does not address second degree murder.

What are the permanent disqualifying criminal offenses?

Per 1572.103(a):
(1) Espionage or conspiracy to commit espionage
(2) Sedition or conspiracy to commit sedition
(3) Treason or conspiracy to commit treason
(4) A federal crime of terrorism (18 U.S.C. 2332(g)) or comparable State law
(5) A crime involving a TSI (transportation security incident). Note: A transportation security incident is a security incident resulting in a significant loss of life, environmental damage, transportation system disruption, or economic disruption in a particular area. The term "economic disruption" does not include a work stoppage or other employee-related action not related to terrorism and resulting from an employer-employee dispute.
(6) Improper transportation of a hazardous material under 49 U.S.C. 5124 or a comparable state law
(7) Unlawful possession, use, sale, distribution, manufacture, purchase...or dealing in an explosive or explosive device
(8) Murder
(9) Threat or maliciously conveying false information knowing the same to be false, concerning the deliverance, placement, or detonation of an explosive or other lethal device in or against a place of public use, a state or government facility, a public transportations system, or an infrastructure facility
(10) Certain RICO (Racketeer influenced and Corrupt Organizations) Act violations where one of the predicate acts consists of one of the permanently disqualifying crimes
(11) Attempt to commit the crimes in items (a)(1)-(a)(4)
(12) Conspiracy or attempt to commit the crimes in items (a)(5)-(a)(10)

What is an interim disqualifying criminal offense?
Conviction within 7 years of TWIC application, or a finding of not guilty by reason of insanity of an interim disqualifying criminal offense
Release from incarceration for an interim disqualifying criminal offense within 5 years of application
Under want, warrant, or indictment for an interim disqualifying criminal offense (until the want or warrant is released or the indictment is dismissed)
Interim disqualifying crimes are eligible for a waiver - see next question

What are the interim disqualifying criminal offenses?
Per 1572.103(b)(2):
(i) Unlawful possession, use, sale, manufacture, purchase, distribution...or dealing in a firearm or other weapon
(ii) Extortion
(iii) Dishonesty, fraud, or misrepresentation, including identity fraud and money laundering (except welfare fraud and passing bad checks)
(iv) Bribery
(v) Smuggling
(vi) Immigration violations
(vii) Distribution, possession w/ intent to distribute, or importation of a controlled substance
(viii) Arson
(ix) Kidnapping or hostage taking
(x) Rape or aggravated sexual abuse
(xi) Assault with intent to kill
(xi) Robbery
(xii) Fraudulent entry into a seaport
(xiii) Lesser violations of the RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations) Act
(xiv) Conspiracy or attempt to commit crimes above
Old 07-18-2012, 02:54 PM

im new to this don't know if im in the right place. I have a conviction for Attempted aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, i was 17 when it happened and was convicted at 18. I am now 22. Im trying to apply for my TWIC card and I received a notice from TSA saying that I might not be eligible for a TWIC because of my conviction. My conviction is not on the list of of any of the disqualifying offenses, I've appealed my case on that basis that it's not a disqualifying crime and its been since April and still no response. I'm getting frustrated. If its not disqualifying shouldn't I be granted a card? Thanks for any replies!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Still KraZee in Love !

Thanked 4,353 Times in 2,175 Posts

Trying to get anything done in Louisiana is a slow going process! Don't give up. I will try and get you some information on how to go about getting your card from my BF's brother. His wife works for harbor police and she has a twic card and ill get him to ask her who you can contact. Can't make any promises, but I sure will try my best to help you.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:14 AM

Default Don't give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness-225 View Post
im new to this don't know if im in the right place. I have a conviction for Attempted aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, i was 17 when it happened and was convicted at 18. I am now 22. Im trying to apply for my TWIC card and I received a notice from TSA saying that I might not be eligible for a TWIC because of my conviction. My conviction is not on the list of of any of the disqualifying offenses, I've appealed my case on that basis that it's not a disqualifying crime and its been since April and still no response. I'm getting frustrated. If its not disqualifying shouldn't I be granted a card? Thanks for any replies!
I'm sure you got your card by now if you did all they told you too do. i served close to 7 years all totalled and i got my card. but it took about 4 months. i had to prove i had completed my federal supervison and a mess of other things. i'll admit it was frusterating. but i didn't give up. the thought off throwing $132.50 out the window was enough to keep trying. any way, to all wondering, if you're not on the disqualifying list YOU CAN GET YOUR CARD. just don't give up.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:15 AM

Exclamation Letter of compliance

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohnson1213 View Post
I'm sure you got your card by now if you did all they told you too do. i served close to 7 years all totalled and i got my card. but it took about 4 months. i had to prove i had completed my federal supervison and a mess of other things. i'll admit it was frusterating. but i didn't give up. the thought off throwing $132.50 out the window was enough to keep trying. any way, to all wondering, if you're not on the disqualifying list YOU CAN GET YOUR CARD. just don't give up.

I'm in the process of trying to get my card.. Here in Houston.. The waiver requests a letter of compliance from my probation officer. I asked her and she stated the TSA has to directly request it from her. Did you experience this?
Old 08-10-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJW View Post
I'm in the process of trying to get my card.. Here in Houston.. The waiver requests a letter of compliance from my probation officer. I asked her and she stated the TSA has to directly request it from her. Did you experience this?
It all depends on the officer. They should take into consideration that your wanting your twic card for more job opportunities. I would talk to his or her boss and I guarantee they will help you. Wish you the best hood luck.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdawn View Post
My brother got out on Jan 1 after serving 12 years he has a job lined up but this stupid TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Credential) card is keeping this wonderful job from him. This card is required for anyone who will be going in and out of ports, anyone had luck gettting this card, it looks like this conviction is the one keeping him for getting this government required card SECOND DEG.MURDER,COMM.OF FELO
Any help would be appreciated, I just want to help him get a new start on life he was 17 when arrested and just turned 30 this month and has never held a job.
Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and for any help offered.

I don't have any information to help you, but bless you for doing your part to help him!!!!!! I hope it all works out! We need POSITIVE/SUCCESS STORIES all over the place! Thank you for being there!