Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Beaumont Federal Correctional Complex
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Beaumont Federal Correctional Complex Topics, Discussions and Information relating to the Federal Prisons in Beaumont, Texas. Including FPC Beaumont, FCI Beaumont - Low, FCI Beaumont - Medium, and USP Beaumont.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:18 AM

Default Contaminated water

The low facility did flood with rainwater and toilet backup sewage. His bunk was on the first floor where the floor was flooded with black water. Lockers were placed on top of bunks before flooding started so some things were saved but anything on the floor was ruined.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue947 View Post
The low facility did flood with rainwater and toilet backup sewage. His bunk was on the first floor where the floor was flooded with black water. Lockers were placed on top of bunks before flooding started so some things were saved but anything on the floor was ruined.
do u know if it's still flooded
Old 09-05-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
My son emailed me that phone calls (at least to the Low) have been giving false information to family members. He wrote that as of 9/4/2017 at about 5:30 they still don't have water but that calls to the officials have reported that they have water, a/c, laundry and showers. No truth to that. Four 16 oz bottles of water are distributed every day but there is no running water, no laundry, no showers, no a/c. A couple of days ago the water was turned on for about 10 minutes so the toilets could be flushed because they were overflowing. Men grabbed anything that would hold water and filled them so they could at least "bathe". Even that water needs to be boiled or disinfected with bleach. I'm not certain how either of those could be accomplished without supplies and containers. E coli has been found in Beaumont's water so it is extremely dangerous to drink. I'm assuming they are still eating Johnny Sacks with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches daily.
This is so sad for everyone enduring this.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:07 PM

Is there a way to post pictures or screen shots in here
I want to show y'all a copy of a email an inmate sent
Old 09-05-2017, 12:16 PM

I just read this article ...I pray for ALL of them. My husband was in the med. for 3 yrs but he got moved last year to CA (Thank God!!) Beaumont is by far the worst facility I have visit...take it I have gone to 6 different in 15 yrs.

Harvey’s Victims: Prisoners Drink Toilet Water in a Fight to Survive Under Lockdown

Inmates in Texas experience flooding and lack of food and water. They are drinking toilet water while under lockdown and two prisoners were reported dead. Left Voice interviews Rachel, whose husband is currently in Beaumont Federal Prison.

Read entire article below:
http://www.leftvoice.org/Harvey-s-Vi...Under-Lockdown

Edited by Admin to conform with PTO's Copyright Rules

Last edited by patchouli; 09-08-2017 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: Copyright Rules
The Following User Says Thank You to marrybelle For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 01:22 PM

Heres another article I found

Inmates inside Beaumont's federal prison share stories of grim conditions following Harvey

A federal prison in Beaumont that decided Thursday not to evacuate inmates despite a precarious drinking water situation has come under criticism from the men being held inside.

FCI Beaumont, a federal prison that houses 1,812 low security male inmates, said that although the facility's water source was compromised and had intermittent power, it was "adequately maintained with generator backup power when needed. There is an adequate food and water supply for both inmates and staff," the Federal Bureau of Prisons said in a statement Thursday.
Messages from inmates obtained by Chron.com using a prison email system tell a different story.

Read entire article below:
http://m.chron.com/news/houston-weat...s-12167587.php

Edited by Admin to conform with PTO's Copyright Rules

Last edited by patchouli; 09-08-2017 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: Copyright Rules
The Following User Says Thank You to marrybelle For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-05-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 01:18 AM

I saw someone asking about bag water. I'm not from TX, but I am familiar with Emergency Operation Centers (EOC) in CA, for government facilities and I'm guessing it's probably very similar. In Ca, every gov't building has its own EOC. So it has enough water, food, power, to survive an emergency for a certain number of days. The water is held in these huge oil drums. They would have no way to dispense it to your loved ones other than in bags. They store it that way because it's easy to dump and refill with clean water every few years.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:56 AM

This is just something I thought of. Do we think the more we make a fuss out of bashing on the Bop that the officers might get an earful of bad reviews in a sense and they take that out on our inmates?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbart21 For This Useful Post:
His_Queen13 (09-06-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 11:52 AM

yes I know I'm hoping it gets better quick bc there's more Hurricanes on deck and I'm praying that beaumont fcc is up an running before any help that their getting is directed some were else

yeah that shit is crazy.. I praying things lighten up quick.

tell them to tell their man that things will be better that we have to make it better bc we don't know what will happen there is hurricane irma that is way bigger than harvey.. and a hurricane Jose right behind irma
Old 09-07-2017, 12:42 PM

Irma is going to affect the state of Florida. Jose is going back to sea. Katia will stay south of us. There's a cold front that's coming through therefore we won't get impacted. The cold is keeping everything away from us. If it wasn't for that cold front we'd all be in BIG trouble. The eclipse happened on the 21. Harvey showed up the 25 and started raining/flooding the 26. Read Luke 21: 25-26.
It's all been written.
Low won't get water till Monday 9/11
Old 09-07-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsandy000 View Post
Irma is going to affect the state of Florida. Jose is going back to sea. Katia will stay south of us. There's a cold front that's coming through therefore we won't get impacted. The cold is keeping everything away from us. If it wasn't for that cold front we'd all be in BIG trouble. The eclipse happened on the 21. Harvey showed up the 25 and started raining/flooding the 26. Read Luke 21: 25-26.
It's all been written.
Low won't get water till Monday 9/11
this is insane.. I just pray the have beaumont fci up in running before help is directed else were
Old 09-08-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
could u tell me if the low is making progress please
Old 09-08-2017, 11:37 AM

is fci beaumont doing any better??
Old 09-08-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jook'a View Post
is fci beaumont doing any better??
My hubby emailed me a while ago. He's at low. He says all services have been restored
The Following User Says Thank You to vsandy000 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-09-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 11:57 AM

(Idk y it won't let me post the link to the article here)This was printed in the Houston Press today:

Civil rights and prisoners' groups say the decision by the Federal Bureau of Prisons not to evacuate inmates in its Beaumont facility as Hurricane Harvey approached left hundreds of prisoners stranded without food or water, which has also led to a whirlwind of rumors.

Now those groups, which include U.S. Representative Lloyd Doggett of Austin, are demanding answers from the Bureau of Prisons. Lloyd Doggett Wants to Know What Happened at Beaumont's Federal Prison During Harvey

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 12, 2017 AT 6 A.M.
BY CRAIG MALISOW

How bad are things in the Beaumont federal pen, really?
Civil rights and prisoners' groups say the decision by the Federal Bureau of Prisons not to evacuate inmates in its Beaumont facility as Hurricane Harvey approached left hundreds of prisoners stranded without food or water, which has also led to a whirlwind of rumors.

Now those groups, which include U.S. Representative Lloyd Doggett of Austin, are demanding answers from the Bureau of Prisons.

The fire was stoked by unsubstantiated claims shared by the wife of an inmate with a news outlet called Left Voice. In an interview that ran September 4, Rachel Villalobos said that another wife of another inmate told her that two inmates died, and that the prisoners were reduced to drinking toilet water. The story took off, and the Bureau of Prisons has denied that two inmates died.

Villalobos told Left Voice:
"After Hurricane Harvey, I was told they are very low on food and water. They are getting two sandwiches a day. These are grown men. They need more than two sandwiches....They are using the restroom in bags so they can save the toilet water.

They all have been drinking the toilet water since they have been low on water supply. He said that even though the toilet water has bacteria, at this moment he didn’t care and the other prisoners didn’t care either. They are really thirsty. He said he would drink anything. He told me that if this water didn’t kill him, the conditions were going to kill him. That’s how bad it is."

But the Bureau of Prisons said on its website September 5 that the Beaumont Federal Corrections Complex, which houses three units, was "receiving deliveries and there is ample bottled water and food supplies for inmates and staff. The facility continues to provide 24-hour medical coverage for all inmates."

The BOP's August 31 report also conflicts with Villalobos's claims:
"There was some flooding in and around areas of the FCC where inmates are not being housed, however, today the water has begun to recede. All inmates remain safe in their housing units.

Although the storm impacted the city water supply, the FCC is utilizing its own reserved water supply. The FCC has experienced intermittent power, however, it is adequately maintained with generator backup power when needed. There is an adequate food and water supply for both inmates and staff."

But suspending all visitation at the facility "until further notice," as the BOP site currently states, probably isn't going to help quash the rumors.

The conflicting stories also played out in the state correctional system, where at least one inmate's wife said her husband's facility was completely flooded, which the Texas Department of Criminal Justice denied, offering photos that showed no flooding.

All the horror stories were apparently enough for Representative Doggett to seek information on the inmates' well-being, joining the ACLU of Texas, the Texas Civil Rights Project, the Prison Justice League and the Austin-based prison reform group Grassroots Leadership, which issued a press release Monday saying prisoners were ignored despite advance warning of devastating conditions. Beaumont was struck by Harvey only after the storm caused historic flooding in Houston.

“Due to several reports of alarming conditions at the Beaumont facility, I have inquired with the Federal Bureau of Prisons to express my concern and obtain clarification about what actions are being undertaken to protect the well-being of prisoners and staff and to restore the facility to pre-disaster conditions,” Doggett said in the release.

Natalia Cornelio, the criminal justice reform director with the Texas Civil Rights Project, cited reports of "people being forced to defecate in bags," among other allegations, saying any poor conditions or prisoner suffering could have been avoided. She's quoted in the release as saying:

"These prisons have been on notice of the potential for this type of disaster for at least a decade and have had multiple opportunities to plan and prepare accordingly. The Bureau of Prisons and the Texas Department of Criminal Justice are tasked with the responsibility of ensuring the safety and meeting the basic human needs of those in their custody. They have not done their jobs and we will hold them accountable.”

Certainly, the BOP's Beaumont facility has come under weather-related scrutiny before, with hundreds of inmates filing suit following Hurricane Rita in 2005.

We reached out to the BOP for comment and will update accordingly.

Last edited by IloveTerrence; 09-12-2017 at 11:59 AM..
Old 09-12-2017, 08:04 PM

This article was just posted by CNN:
CNN-With all the stories of heroism and tragedy in the wake of Hurricanes Irma and Harvey, one group of people have been left out of sight and out of our hearts: the incarcerated men and women in our federal correctional facilities.

While Texas and Florida authorities safely relocated most of the inmates in the state prisons, the men and women who were locked in our federal prisons were not so fortunate. The Federal Bureau of Prisons stated it did not intend to evacuate its facilities in the paths of Hurricanes Irma or Harvey in Beaumont, Texas or in Florida. And based on reports from several of those facilities, prisoners were not evacuated, could not flee and continue to suffer.
Jessica Jackson Sloan
As a result, some incarcerated people in the hardest hit areas in federal prisons were left in their cells to face the flooding, water shortages and power outages. If reports from family members and loved ones of people in these facilities are accurate, their living conditions violated the constitutional prohibition against "cruel and unusual" punishment.
In stark contrast, the American people, who are big-hearted and compassionate, would not even allow animals in captivity to be left behind. Zoos were responsibly staffed or dutifully cleared. Animal shelters pleaded for the safety of stray cats and dogs. Hundreds of Florida horses were relocated. Dolphins were airlifted to safety.
Americans understood immediately that caged animals cannot get out of harm's way when a hurricane comes. This heroism was necessary, justified and praiseworthy. After all, saving lives is what we are supposed to do in a crisis.
The federal government should learn from the American people's example. Federal prison authorities have human beings in their care and custody who are equally unable to flee. Whatever their offense, an American jury would never sentence anyone to be deprived of medication, food or water for weeks on end -- or to die in a flood. As extreme weather events like killer heat waves and hurricanes become more common, all levels of governments must develop common sense plans to better protect those whom they lock up.
The status quo is not working, especially not at the federal level. When Hurricane Harvey bore down on the Greater Houston region, the 2,109 people at a federal prison facility in Beaumont, Texas, were out of luck. Federal authorities left them behind to wait out the storm. Several prisoners told family members they were stuck in their cells as water rose above their ankles and the smell of sewage from backed-up toilets grew so intense they had to wrap towels over their noses just to fall asleep. Federal prison officials dispute the claims of water in cells.
According to a recent filing by the Prison Legal Advocacy Network, for two weeks now, individuals living in US Penitentiary (USP) Beaumont have continued to suffer from inadequate food and water supplies. We have heard first-hand accounts of people urinating and defecating in plastic bags to preserve the water in their cell's toilet for drinking. The Federal Bureau of Prisons told The Houston Chronicle that due to limited water in the city, they are relying on water reserves and providing bottled water.
Some prisoners have also told family members that they have been unable to receive medication, despite the Federal Bureau of Prisons assurances that people in that prison are receiving 24-hour-a-day access to medical coverage.
No journalists or outside observers have been allowed in to see the conditions of the prison and the inmates. But if the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina is any indication, we have every reason to be concerned. In Orleans Parish Prison 11 years ago, sheriffs left 6,500 incarcerated people to fight for their survival as water rose to their chests. According to an ACLU report, they were told they would be shot if they tried to escape a flooding building. Some juveniles were sent to adult facilities, where pregnant girls went days without ventilation, food, water or medical care.
Here's the thing. In Texas and Florida, both county jails and state prisons managed to evacuate most of the people in their care. Even SeaWorld and Busch Gardens had robust emergency plans to make sure their staff and animals would be moved somewhere safe -- or at least had adequate water, food and medication.
It's not rocket science. We know it can be done. But apparently the Federal Bureau of Prisons didn't bother. In our country, we follow the rule of law; the founders forbade "cruel and unusual punishment" for a reason. And it is cruel to abandon human beings to face conditions that no American would allow a horse or a dog to suffer.
I'm praying for all the inmates at FCC Beaumont safety and well-being.
The Following User Says Thank You to IloveTerrence For This Useful Post:
His_Queen13 (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 01:46 PM

Default LO

Has anyone heard from their LO at the USP today?
Old 09-13-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_hines822 View Post
Has anyone heard from their LO at the USP today?

I did this morning around 11am, the call was 10min surprisingly!
Old 09-13-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkyboop View Post
I did this morning around 11am, the call was 10min surprisingly!
Okay, that's good. 5 minutes was way too fast lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrs_hines822 For This Useful Post:
Nikkyboop (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 11:09 PM

Does anyone know why FCI LOW is on lockdown?
Old 09-15-2017, 12:09 AM

Does anybody know why USP Beaumont is still saying suspended visits has anyone heard from their LO at the USP. Any updates ?
Old 09-16-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovemesomeBD View Post
Does anybody know why USP Beaumont is still saying suspended visits has anyone heard from their LO at the USP. Any updates ?
Last time my husband call me was on Thursday 09/14/17
At 9:20 am it was a 10 minutes call I haven't heard from him since then
Old 09-16-2017, 02:41 PM

Good afternoon does someone receive a call from their love ones at USP today??
Old 09-16-2017, 09:49 PM

Nothing
Old 09-16-2017, 09:51 PM

Unhappy

Did someone receive a call from them at usp