Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > SHARING EXPERIENCES > Letters & Stories from Inmates & X-Cons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Letters & Stories from Inmates & X-Cons Post all letters, stories and information from inmates and ex-convicts here. Share their perspective with the rest of us who have not been on the inside.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:13 PM

I lived in a nor cal prison for almost 9 years. Anyone needing some clarification, info, anything, message me or however this works and ill be happy to shed some light on your subject.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2011, 07:15 PM
excon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Ellie View Post
Someone had suggested I start a new thread for anyone who has questions about what it's really like to be in prison. I was incarcerated in a Pennsylvania state prison for 38 months. I would be more than happy to answer any questions for anyone.
I spent 11 years in the New York State prison system as a maximum security inmate. Life inside is not as it is portrayed on television but it is still not anything to be glamorized or limelighted - I entered in the 70's before the feds regulated procedures, etc. and exited in the 80's. I would gladly answer any questions that I can.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:34 PM

I don't know if you really want to post on a public forum that you have information that an inmate might stab another inmate. I don't know why he would even write that in a letter that could be read by prison officials. What would your culpability be if he killed this person and you knew about it? I think you need to think about whether charges could be filed against you. I am not an attorney but I would consult one. I think it's unfair that he even put you in this position.
The Following User Says Thank You to trustingGOD001 For This Useful Post:
rosepetals (07-05-2016)
Old 11-16-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousstdnt
I am doing research on what it is like to be in a prison compared to being institutionalized. I am trying to prove that prisons do not help to rehabilitate people because in order to successfully rehabilitate someone there needs to be a positive environment, close relationships with control agents, respect for one another, free will, etc. Basically, all those things that prisons lack. Can you help me out by giving me some examples of what its like to be in prison and how it did not help to rehabilitate you (if that is the case) ?
Prison is an awful experience that anybody in their right mind would learn from i have been twice cause im hardheaded. Prison is like bein in school u got schedules n drama a whole lot of it well at least in the womens prison its like a lesbian fest even women with husbands visitin them n bein down while their wives r havin sex w other women or worst the guards for a pack of gum thats what its like
Old 11-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Missin' Him :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Ellie View Post
Someone had suggested I start a new thread for anyone who has questions about what it's really like to be in prison. I was incarcerated in a Pennsylvania state prison for 38 months. I would be more than happy to answer any questions for anyone.
I have a question...did you fall for any co's while you there? Lol I only ask causr my mans first wife was a co and of course I trust him, but because I know who is first wife was, naturally this is a huge fear of mine!
Old 11-18-2011, 05:24 AM

Ontario's provincial prison was formed around the US prison structure (super max), so I can explain from a logical perspective of what goes on inside Ontario's provincial jails (not the federal ones you read about in the newspaper which some call "club-fed" due to it's lax restrictions including facilities with no bars/fences/etc)

Ontario Provincial Prison Facts (I have learned)
===================================
Clothing
----------------------
Blankets are seldom washed, or replaced (at most once / year but i never seen it happen).
Blankets are provided in the cell you are assigned. Most of the time, you do not have a blanket, but when you do, it is from the last person who used that cell before they left (to another prison / to freedom?).
You are legally allowed 15 minutes of exercise outside per day, however this seldom happens which usually ends up being about 15 minutes "outside" per week.
You are only allowed 1 jumpsuit/boxers/and a very short pair of socks/and 1 orange t-shirt which is cycled in "roll" call once every 4-5 days, sometimes longer as they get missed.
The shower is on the range consisting of 2 shower stalls with the window section facing the front of the range for the guards to look in and watch (and this includes male guards looking at female in-mates, and female guards looking at male in-mates).
The soap provided is a very harsh on the skin soap in the same shape and size of one you may find in a hotel.
The toothpaste, shaving cream, shampoo, and conditioner provided all appear to have the exact same texture which is more often used as super-glue for building stuff out of paper than using on one-self due to the disgusting nature and putrid stench.
The toothbrush is best described as if you took a normal toothbrush, and chopped the very head off (bristles only), then added a 1.5inch rubber handle to it the width of your thumb (try caring for your molars with that one).
You are provided with a single plastic spoon with less density than the white spoon you would find at a dairy queen (not the long red one, just a standard short white spoon). This spoon is all you are provided with to eat for the entire duration of your sentence -- requests for a replacement are met with large skeptisism and are more often not granted (goes the same for toothbrushes).
The seems to be fix all drug of choice prisons issue to inmates of pretty much ANY problem is Seroquel . I guess this is some sort of wonder-cure-all drug that we in the mainstream society were unaware of --- or, they are grossly dosing people with incorrect prescriptions.
Anti-dandruff shampoo that is bought over the counter requires a prescription.
Cleaning your ears requires a prescription and is only done by "flushing"
During lock-down, only "necessary" drugs are issued -- which doesn't seem to include antibiotics, nitro for bad hearts, or other such "unnecessary" drugs -- however it DOES include the super-wonder drug Seroquel.
The labor program is optional, but once opted in, you can not opt out or leave without losing most or all of your "good" time (the get out early for good behaviour time). You do NOT get paid for this and it really does not benefit anyone except the system.
The food quality is so sub-par that I am 100% positive if left "fresh" in a nest of starving Rodents, it would remain untouched. If I had been handed tins of dog-food mixed with fecal matter on a daily basis, that would have been favorable. I begged for a bread & water only diet, and was denied -- even after making several formal requests.
There is a library, however the men are not allowed to use it. Instead, a "librarian" comes by once/month with about 10 books total for the entire range of 32 people, consisting entirely of thriller/horror/mafia novels, and any request for any educational material is not only denied, but forbidden with a penalty of loss of good time.
The education system inside (very looslely said "education"), consists of a teacher barely capable of grade 9 basic english and math (by canada's standards), and even rarer, makes an appearance for a grand total of 5 people (remember, 32 people per range), over the entire jail.
There are other facilities available that were built for the inmates, however, unless someone inside had prior knowledge of them and pulls strings to make the c/o's /guards relinquish use of them to the inmates, then they remain a secret and are NOT made available to the inmates.
Work duty requires regular strip searches on the way to work, and on the way from work. You are not allowed to bring anything there (like a bag of chips, or "homework"), and you are not allowed to bring anything back (like part of your lunch). You can't even have a piece of paper in your pocket (aka, a note reminding you of an appointment).
"Work" also is a form of slavery as you are not allowed to quit, and are forced under threat of loss of good time to work without pay garnishing a grotesque profit for the jail (privately owned).
"Work" consists of one of the following:
Tailoring - Making inmates clothes, guards clothes, hospital clothing/gowns, military/naval/etc uniforms.
Plates --- Making license plates (on average around 500,000 / day), including custom plates, ambassador plates, truck plates, motorcycle plates, etc (if you still don't think they are profiting, look at how much money 1 set of plates goes for in each of those categories, then from this alone look at how much they "whine" it "costs" society to run the prison)
Workshop - Making public benches, trashcans, etc
Cooking --- Both preparing the food en-masse, and dividing it up into serving trays for reheat later (again, huge profit at very low cost as this food is impossible to cost more than around $1 / day per inmate -- as soup kitchens have low quality, but even they are hundreds of times better than what is served -- and it's not the cooks fault -- it is the food itself)

The company that operates the slave labour program is called "Trilcor". The machinary used is very dangerous and any public company would be shut down for safty reasons due to the dangerous environment. The sewing machines are from early 1800-1900 era and constantly the needles snap with no safeguards on the machine so it just flies off in a random direction, potentially killing someone, or hurting them very badly at the very least (needles are about 4mm thick by around 6 inches long). The plate presses have no safety devices on them to prevent the stamper from coming down on someones hand (or head, or any other body part) and the pressurizer is often faulty on the best of days.

<-- I was trying to post a link to Trilcor here, but apparently I can not until I make 25 posts -->

The water quality is recycled from the same water that was put in the building to begin with, which is used for the toilets, sinks, showers, and --- drinking -- as the building was built to be "self-sustained".

The air is constantly blowing and the ranges quickly fill up with dust that we are forced to breath in --- not normal dust -- this dust is very thick from the newly sewn jumpers / guard uniforms, and from the ventilation shafts as it is all recycled air as well. These fans blow 24/7, 366 days/year inside the cell and operate above 60dB on the noise scale (this means around the same level a train passing by your house would make).

Then there are 3 payphones on range which do not accept any currency (which no inmate is allowed anyway, so the only calls that can be made are collect -- at PREMIUM rates). On a work range, there is an about 3 hours total on range where inmates can use the phone for a 15 minute collect call to their loved one. Given over 32 people, at 15 minutes per person -- 480 minutes of time if everyone was to make 1 call per day. 3 hours is only 180 minutes, so as you can see, some people just can't make calls -- which causes friction.

Then you have the television on the range, which is very loud and echoes a lot off the metal bolted down furniture and cement walls / floor / high ceiling. It is more often than not, playing the exact same thing -- EVERY DAY.

Now, a bit off topic. I am sure you can find online studies that were done en-masse as to the psychological impact any one of the above things can do to any sane human, let alone someone who may have some issues to begin with. One perfect example would the the study of how 7 people who are educated can get along in a very tight environment, and as such they require rigourous training and testing not just for the environment and to operate the equipment, but to ensure that they can manage the 3 day orbit in space --- can you guess the upstanding organization that did this research over several decades ? --- starts with N... ends with A....... NASA.

There was also research done as to the effects of sound below or above a certain dB level for long periods of time and it does in fact cause permanent damage not only to their psyche and functional areas of the brain, but damages their ears irreperably long term, and other more softly founded but still with ongoing research into the impact on the rest of the body such as organ functioning, etc.

We all know that slave labor is being forced into servitude without any or very low remuneration. Rule #14 at CECC is as follows

"All inmates will perform work and attend assigned programs unless exempted by health care staff or operational managers."

The above, doesn't seem to apply when health care staff require you to stay back -- even if they have given you a signed note. This seems to be at the discretion at best of the Trilcor employee running the shop.

I have at my disposal, images of everything -- including all forms available to the inmates, rules, a water sample, and the actual soap/shampoo/toothbrush/etc that is issued with the exception of the clothing (i am sure you can find pictures of that though).

I will find some time to scan all this into the computer and start posting this stuff online so you can see what some of the stuff looks like and read through the BS restrictions which in my opinion go beyond a simple jail term, but do in fact impose restrictions to servitude (slavery), as well as strip one of any humanity, dignity, and provide absolutely no measure for "rehabilitation" whatsoever.

I also took some time while there (had plenty of it) to write out the entire menu as named, and get the average of the inmates feelings on the meal. Beans & Weaners was up there as the best, and this is given the "jail" scale, so a 5, is based on the meals provided which would be approximately 1/50 on a scale relative for the crappiest taco from taco bell -- say... just the meat stuff slopped onto a plate being a 1, would equal on the jail scale from 1-5, about 10.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DanTheNumber For This Useful Post:
alisacali (12-21-2011), Benjaminsbaby (06-11-2016), Iamnewtothis (11-18-2011), rosepetals (07-05-2016), sadjose (06-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2011, 04:47 PM

Well,I'm alley was incarcerated for 12 yrs./ April 1st,1996-nov.20th,2008! It had it's ups and downs.I went thru big changes in there. I had to learn how to deal and cope w/ different personalities,people.co's.life,danger,doing things I was against.had many different types of girlfriends,as well. Anyways,I'm out should feel so awesome,but I don't.I stay hidden away from everything,everyone.I'm not the same person anymore.I hope one day I well be able to cope w/ this world.half the time I daydream about being back in there.I miss my girls,in vsp,ca and ccwf! Thanks for reading, alley
The Following User Says Thank You to alleywood13 For This Useful Post:
candidtalk (09-18-2015)
Old 12-07-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleywood13
Well,I'm alley was incarcerated for 12 yrs./ April 1st,1996-nov.20th,2008! It had it's ups and downs.I went thru big changes in there. I had to learn how to deal and cope w/ different personalities,people.co's.life,danger,doing things I was against.had many different types of girlfriends,as well. Anyways,I'm out should feel so awesome,but I don't.I stay hidden away from everything,everyone.I'm not the same person anymore.I hope one day I well be able to cope w/ this world.half the time I daydream about being back in there.I miss my girls,in vsp,ca and ccwf! Thanks for reading, alley
Anyone know what its like in midstate prison?

Old 12-10-2011, 02:03 PM

Katmat is the only one really who has reached out and given us such an informed view of the inside of prison. As I'm reading this, I am having to remind myself, I am still in the U.S. Seems not only are you not American anymore, but heck, not even a person anymore, by the way they treat you. Just unreal ! Thank you for sharing of your time and experiences. Your story is a a great read, yet a sad reality.
The Following User Says Thank You to johntn For This Useful Post:
justinjencoe201 (03-25-2016)
Old 01-22-2012, 08:06 PM

With all the cameras in prisons they know when inmates are fighting or guards are harrassing inmates beating them up or causing them to fight with other inmates. Why is nothing done about it? Two wrongs don't make a right. The system needs to be judged because it has been found guilty...People sick seldom get proper medical care and dental that's a laugh....pull the teeth that's what gets done. A disgrace.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blistered For This Useful Post:
Lady2 (01-26-2012), rosepetals (07-05-2016)
Old 01-22-2012, 08:10 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rooney View Post
I think the violence is not as it is portryed in the movies. Yes, there are fights, and occasional uprisings, but it is prison. I spent 12 years on the inside and maybe got into like 5 fights. The gurds are ignorant, but the whole environment is ignorant. Prison is used for punishment, and there isn't a lot of privacy. The best thing for a person to do is to do their time, and het the heck out of there and take the experience with them and stay out. I made it to my 4th year anniversary of freedom yesterday and I love life. Prison isn't a pretty place to be...it wasn't meant to be.

Brian
I don't know what prison you were in but many of them are very violent and even if you TRY to stay out of trouble they try to coerce inmates into snitching or lying on other inmates. Many inmates end up in segregation because of an inmates trying to please a guard whose on his back. I'm glad you ONLY HAD 5 FIGHTS. There shouldn't have been one!!! Cameras know what is going on but yes there is politics even inside the walls.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Boom's Wife Mrs. Mekediak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydayw View Post
My son just got transferred to Beaumont USP and will be there a week this Tues.; he previously was at Memphis FCI.

Are there big differences he will encounter or will it be a big difference for me in the way he writes and what little he tells me about? He does have a friend who he writes often and he shares a great deal more with her; that's ok cause I know he needs it but I wish he would be more open with me also.
I really don't have any idea what the differences are between a USP or FCI--can someone give me a little education here??
How rough is it for affiliations in USP's if you know what I'm asking???
I will be very glad to get any real replies back as I know this forum is from people who know the truths..I am no pansy and can take and appreciate anything you answer with.

Thank you and God Bless you and keep you.
My husband is in an FCI and from what he has told me it is a lower level facility than a USP and a way better place to be. He was extremely happy to be placed in a FCI because he said it's less drama. He told me if he went to a USP he'd be fighting for sure but in an FCI the guys are older, closer to going home and so they tend to cause less problems. It should be a good change. Hope this helps some
Old 09-16-2015, 03:35 AM

The time in prison is how one makes it. It's all about respect in there because that's all we've got. If he already got beaten up there's a bigger issue. Did he do something wrong ? Did he disrespect someone ? Did he not follow the dorms rules? Now , if he got beaten up for not doing what they wanted that's something else. How is his stature , young looking , timid , quiet , non confrontational , if he is all those I'm sorry to say it he's going to have a bad time in there. Depending on the crime you commited is where your housed and with who. Sometimes classification does a shitty job about that. you might have drug conviction and get housed with a violent offender. Prison is not what you see on tv but some of those things do happen. These TV shows go to super max prisons to catch action. If you are a murderer or violent that's where you'll end up. I recommend he speak to a high ranking officer and let him know that he would like to be moved to a trusty facility or work camp. Not to say why because that'd be snitching.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fmontana For This Useful Post:
David (03-24-2016)
Old 10-05-2015, 12:17 AM

My question is to those who have served a long time in a max prison. Do you ever find yourself desensitized from the system for good? I wonder when mine gets out if he will be emotionally strong enough to deal with society. He just seems to try to keep me away from it all. Although I appreciate his concerns, I do pray he can overcome the nightmare and we can create a new haven. Does anyone still struggle with any traumatic experiences from the inside, such as PSTD? Or, is it just something you put behind you and proceed by recreating new memories? They say time heals all wounds, but is that truly the case?
Old 10-05-2015, 11:16 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,030 Times in 988 Posts

Had a slow afternoon in the office and read all entries and I'm really moved, impressed and at a loss for words. I feel like a prison-virgin for not having been to prison (thank GOD) and "only" having visited one pen-pal in prison so far. You can only imagine how it must be, just going through the controls as a visitor is unsettling sometimes but "living" there under whatever conditions the only thing that comes to my mind is what my MWI told me once: the worst day you have outside is still a zillions times better than the best day in prison.

Thank you for your insights, especially Katmat1995 and a few more, thank you for sharing and giving us some insights. I hope you are all doing as good as you can now being back outside. I wish you all the best!!!!
Old 10-06-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerstinlinne View Post
Of course they should not have access to the internet because they are prisoners. Why is there any inmates that have access to the internet? Where?
This statement saddens me. I hate that our American attitude towards prisoners is that they are sub-human. What does that statement even mean? By definition prisoners just shouldn't have what other people have? Perhaps they shouldn't be allowed to make phone calls either? Write letters? What? No way that's insanity!
The Following User Says Thank You to MariaFairmaiden For This Useful Post:
rosepetals (07-05-2016)
Old 10-06-2015, 10:38 PM

I have over the course of three days read all the way through this thread. Thank you for those who shared their experiences and advice!
The Following User Says Thank You to MariaFairmaiden For This Useful Post:
rosepetals (07-05-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preciousrain View Post
Well, I have a question. From time to time D tells me bits and pieces of what it is like. He tells me that I take things for granted--even the fact that I sleep in my own bed. He tells me that every day he has to face the fact that he has no control over his own life. He has to watch his back. But he doesn't tell me what he is feeling when he's running to get to bed before 10:45 or he'll go to the hole. He doesn't tell much. Just bits and pieces. And he sometimes gets frustrated and thinks that I'm running game on him. So, tell me what is it really like. Be brutally honest even if its scary. Because this is his reality and I love this man enough to give him my life. I need to understand. Thanks.
Hi Precious,

Having spent a few months in prison years and my girlfriend currently being in prison, I feel I can help your question a little. Prison isn't quite the horror story you see in the movies with fights and violence all the time.The hardest thing about it is loss of control of your life and following petty rules all the time..like standing in line for count a few times a day and acepting people always think the wiorst of you because you are in prison.Yiu get used to wearing a uniform, doing a menial job and having set times to get up abbd go to bed. Sying that, your husbabd will get thriugh it abd come out stronger!
The Following User Says Thank You to uniformed For This Useful Post:
rosepetals (07-05-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 08:33 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,604 Times in 1,554 Posts

Lots of good information and experiences...

Those of you who have spent time inside and want to share your experiences.. Please take a moment to actually start a new "Thread" about it.. Especially in the State (forum) where you did time.. It'll make it much more easy for people to find it and really use the info.. Not required but something to think about.
sidewalker (04-06-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 11:32 AM

Default Did 48 months in Florida

I served 4 years in Florida's prison system and would be glad to answer your questions.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:31 AM

Prison IS THE WORST place on earth I did 4 and half years in the Georgia prison system and some of the stuff you see on TV does happen but it depends on what camp you were in.Luckily I did time by staying to myself so not much happened.And prison is scary,yes it has scared to the point when I think about it i get traumzize.It was a battle to survive and i learned this regardless what happens to me in the free world as long as im not locked up then i have a chance.I'd rather be homeless,have nothing then be in prison.Prison depending on who you are makes you either a better person or makes you into a monster.It made me into a much kinder human and to love the world better.If you are reading this NOTHING is worth going to prison its scary,embarassing and waste of time.When you commit a crime you make yourself small now im a law abiding citizen and slowly adjusting to life and it feels great.I know one thing for sure regardless what happens here in the free world its 100000000 times better then ANY day spend in prison.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to someguyfrommars For This Useful Post:
Benjaminsbaby (06-11-2016), Cactus (06-05-2016), Critter07 (06-01-2016), LifeTraveler (06-12-2016), Lordbew/us (06-05-2016), rosepetals (07-05-2016), sidewalker (06-03-2016), TheMiracleWorker (06-07-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 01:51 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,377 Times in 3,117 Posts

"Everyday until Freedom"
'Cactus'

The electric lock of the cold steel door will (((‘POP’))) at 5:00am sharp every morning. It was an alarm clock of sorts. The sudden sound would bring me out of my temporary dreamscape from this cold-room of confinement and quickly thrust my mind, my body and my soul back to the reality of these concrete walls and steel surroundings. This cold steel door would be one of many doors in this block popping open all at once. It was the same way everyday, a ‘Ground-hogs Day’ effect that never changed. The lining up for chow would then follow this quick-dead awakening and the noise level of chatter will begin to rise. Once again (((pop))) the hallway door to the block will open and the auto-march to the chow hall will now commence. There was no need to plan. All anyone had to do was follow the very same footsteps of yesterday’s constant repetition. For everyday is completely the same and everyday is as one.
----------------------------------------------------------------
“The Black Flower of civilized society, a prison.”
‘Nathaniel Hawthorne’

The other three units will then follow or lead depending on whose corridor door would pop open first. It would usually follow alphabetically, one quick (((pop))) of a block door after another. Those who will go to morning-chow in this autopilot and trance-like march will now congregate and line up outside the chow hall entrance; to allow the diabetic, crutch or wheelchair-bound and near blind to enter first. Amongst the first of those units; hand-shakes, fist bumps and hugs with the good-ole solid slap on the back in a manly tattooed fashion would be exchanged in the hall along the way.
After the last of the disabled and imprisoned-affirmed along with those that hold the medical diet passes enters the chow-hall, the mass of those in this ultra-mind-altering numbness will quickly follow. It’s almost as if their quickness to the chow-hall window will some how speed-up and shorten the days never-ending timelessness ahead. For most of us this fast morning ritual for sustenance is a necessary evil but it will also be made quick so as to hasten our way back from this reality-based pain; back to our respective block and to the place where synthetic freedom lays awaiting in continued sleep. Back to our dreams until that next (((pop))) of the solid steels’ resound. For today is like yesterday, as it will be like tomorrow, like everyday completely the same and nothing different from the next.

“The vilest deeds like prison weeds bloom well in prison air.
It is only what is good in man, that wastes and withers there.
Pale anguish keeps the heavy gate, and the warder is despair.”
‘Oscar Wilde’

The noise; louder to be heard over those who want to be heard. Laughter above the pain; a fake laughter which is anguished and angered from within and without; without sight or direction home within this prison of time; and the time it takes to get home. A constant ‘piece’ of their minds that is selfishly shared; made with the noise of their own hands (and the minds of their own denial) as a distraction from time. With the ‘pop’ of release we’re out! Its now after lock-down & head-count; evening ‘dayroom’ in the Block; the cards & dominoes, work-outs & showers resume. Shuffling, gambling, yelling, noise, despair.
Fake laughter is fake; a wining hand is relief; one trying to out-do the other. The dominoes are a constant clicking/clacking louder than those loudly heard over the ones who want to be heard. It has been like this all day, like this all yesterday and like this all tomorrows; ‘Everyday until Freedom’. Above those heard and those who want to be heard is the sudden call; LOCK IN!!! It must be another conflict but from another Block because this Block is very peaceful in its own disorderly chaos and noise. Heavy steel doors slam, all of them. The Block grows very silent and once again time languishes and does its thing… Several moments later like dragging fingers down the keys of a piano; the (((popping))) of cell doors release the quiet dead and the life of the loud resumes. At least until the 10pm lock-down and head count when this day never really ends until sleep begins.

“This too I know and wise it were if each could know the same.
That every prison that man hath built is built with bricks of shame.
And bound with bars lest Christ should see, how men their brothers maim.”
‘Oscar Wilde’

The electric locks of the cold steel door will (((pop))) like an alarm clock of sorts. The sudden sound would bring me out of my temporary dreamscape from this cold-room of confinement and quickly thrust my mind, my body and my soul back to the reality of these concrete walls and steel surroundings. This sudden (((popping))) of the cold steel doors would reveal it’s late after final lock-down and it’s an emergency head-count. Another one of many that will break-up the peaceful quiet nights into a sudden alarm and shake of reality; concrete and steel.

Cactus~©

Last edited by Cactus; 06-05-2016 at 01:54 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cactus For This Useful Post:
Benjaminsbaby (06-11-2016), marco1969 (06-05-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheNumber View Post
Ontario's provincial prison was formed around the US prison structure (super max), so I can explain from a logical perspective of what goes on inside Ontario's provincial jails (not the federal ones you read about in the newspaper which some call "club-fed" due to it's lax restrictions including facilities with no bars/fences/etc)

Ontario Provincial Prison Facts (I have learned)
===================================
Clothing
----------------------
Blankets are seldom washed, or replaced (at most once / year but i never seen it happen).
Blankets are provided in the cell you are assigned. Most of the time, you do not have a blanket, but when you do, it is from the last person who used that cell before they left (to another prison / to freedom?).
You are legally allowed 15 minutes of exercise outside per day, however this seldom happens which usually ends up being about 15 minutes "outside" per week.
You are only allowed 1 jumpsuit/boxers/and a very short pair of socks/and 1 orange t-shirt which is cycled in "roll" call once every 4-5 days, sometimes longer as they get missed.
The shower is on the range consisting of 2 shower stalls with the window section facing the front of the range for the guards to look in and watch (and this includes male guards looking at female in-mates, and female guards looking at male in-mates).
The soap provided is a very harsh on the skin soap in the same shape and size of one you may find in a hotel.
The toothpaste, shaving cream, shampoo, and conditioner provided all appear to have the exact same texture which is more often used as super-glue for building stuff out of paper than using on one-self due to the disgusting nature and putrid stench.
The toothbrush is best described as if you took a normal toothbrush, and chopped the very head off (bristles only), then added a 1.5inch rubber handle to it the width of your thumb (try caring for your molars with that one).
You are provided with a single plastic spoon with less density than the white spoon you would find at a dairy queen (not the long red one, just a standard short white spoon). This spoon is all you are provided with to eat for the entire duration of your sentence -- requests for a replacement are met with large skeptisism and are more often not granted (goes the same for toothbrushes).
The seems to be fix all drug of choice prisons issue to inmates of pretty much ANY problem is Seroquel . I guess this is some sort of wonder-cure-all drug that we in the mainstream society were unaware of --- or, they are grossly dosing people with incorrect prescriptions.
Anti-dandruff shampoo that is bought over the counter requires a prescription.
Cleaning your ears requires a prescription and is only done by "flushing"
During lock-down, only "necessary" drugs are issued -- which doesn't seem to include antibiotics, nitro for bad hearts, or other such "unnecessary" drugs -- however it DOES include the super-wonder drug Seroquel.
The labor program is optional, but once opted in, you can not opt out or leave without losing most or all of your "good" time (the get out early for good behaviour time). You do NOT get paid for this and it really does not benefit anyone except the system.
The food quality is so sub-par that I am 100% positive if left "fresh" in a nest of starving Rodents, it would remain untouched. If I had been handed tins of dog-food mixed with fecal matter on a daily basis, that would have been favorable. I begged for a bread & water only diet, and was denied -- even after making several formal requests.
There is a library, however the men are not allowed to use it. Instead, a "librarian" comes by once/month with about 10 books total for the entire range of 32 people, consisting entirely of thriller/horror/mafia novels, and any request for any educational material is not only denied, but forbidden with a penalty of loss of good time.
The education system inside (very looslely said "education"), consists of a teacher barely capable of grade 9 basic english and math (by canada's standards), and even rarer, makes an appearance for a grand total of 5 people (remember, 32 people per range), over the entire jail.
There are other facilities available that were built for the inmates, however, unless someone inside had prior knowledge of them and pulls strings to make the c/o's /guards relinquish use of them to the inmates, then they remain a secret and are NOT made available to the inmates.
Work duty requires regular strip searches on the way to work, and on the way from work. You are not allowed to bring anything there (like a bag of chips, or "homework"), and you are not allowed to bring anything back (like part of your lunch). You can't even have a piece of paper in your pocket (aka, a note reminding you of an appointment).
"Work" also is a form of slavery as you are not allowed to quit, and are forced under threat of loss of good time to work without pay garnishing a grotesque profit for the jail (privately owned).
"Work" consists of one of the following:
Tailoring - Making inmates clothes, guards clothes, hospital clothing/gowns, military/naval/etc uniforms.
Plates --- Making license plates (on average around 500,000 / day), including custom plates, ambassador plates, truck plates, motorcycle plates, etc (if you still don't think they are profiting, look at how much money 1 set of plates goes for in each of those categories, then from this alone look at how much they "whine" it "costs" society to run the prison)
Workshop - Making public benches, trashcans, etc
Cooking --- Both preparing the food en-masse, and dividing it up into serving trays for reheat later (again, huge profit at very low cost as this food is impossible to cost more than around $1 / day per inmate -- as soup kitchens have low quality, but even they are hundreds of times better than what is served -- and it's not the cooks fault -- it is the food itself)

The company that operates the slave labour program is called "Trilcor". The machinary used is very dangerous and any public company would be shut down for safty reasons due to the dangerous environment. The sewing machines are from early 1800-1900 era and constantly the needles snap with no safeguards on the machine so it just flies off in a random direction, potentially killing someone, or hurting them very badly at the very least (needles are about 4mm thick by around 6 inches long). The plate presses have no safety devices on them to prevent the stamper from coming down on someones hand (or head, or any other body part) and the pressurizer is often faulty on the best of days.

<-- I was trying to post a link to Trilcor here, but apparently I can not until I make 25 posts -->

The water quality is recycled from the same water that was put in the building to begin with, which is used for the toilets, sinks, showers, and --- drinking -- as the building was built to be "self-sustained".

The air is constantly blowing and the ranges quickly fill up with dust that we are forced to breath in --- not normal dust -- this dust is very thick from the newly sewn jumpers / guard uniforms, and from the ventilation shafts as it is all recycled air as well. These fans blow 24/7, 366 days/year inside the cell and operate above 60dB on the noise scale (this means around the same level a train passing by your house would make).

Then there are 3 payphones on range which do not accept any currency (which no inmate is allowed anyway, so the only calls that can be made are collect -- at PREMIUM rates). On a work range, there is an about 3 hours total on range where inmates can use the phone for a 15 minute collect call to their loved one. Given over 32 people, at 15 minutes per person -- 480 minutes of time if everyone was to make 1 call per day. 3 hours is only 180 minutes, so as you can see, some people just can't make calls -- which causes friction.

Then you have the television on the range, which is very loud and echoes a lot off the metal bolted down furniture and cement walls / floor / high ceiling. It is more often than not, playing the exact same thing -- EVERY DAY.

Now, a bit off topic. I am sure you can find online studies that were done en-masse as to the psychological impact any one of the above things can do to any sane human, let alone someone who may have some issues to begin with. One perfect example would the the study of how 7 people who are educated can get along in a very tight environment, and as such they require rigourous training and testing not just for the environment and to operate the equipment, but to ensure that they can manage the 3 day orbit in space --- can you guess the upstanding organization that did this research over several decades ? --- starts with N... ends with A....... NASA.

There was also research done as to the effects of sound below or above a certain dB level for long periods of time and it does in fact cause permanent damage not only to their psyche and functional areas of the brain, but damages their ears irreperably long term, and other more softly founded but still with ongoing research into the impact on the rest of the body such as organ functioning, etc.

We all know that slave labor is being forced into servitude without any or very low remuneration. Rule #14 at CECC is as follows

"All inmates will perform work and attend assigned programs unless exempted by health care staff or operational managers."

The above, doesn't seem to apply when health care staff require you to stay back -- even if they have given you a signed note. This seems to be at the discretion at best of the Trilcor employee running the shop.

I have at my disposal, images of everything -- including all forms available to the inmates, rules, a water sample, and the actual soap/shampoo/toothbrush/etc that is issued with the exception of the clothing (i am sure you can find pictures of that though).

I will find some time to scan all this into the computer and start posting this stuff online so you can see what some of the stuff looks like and read through the BS restrictions which in my opinion go beyond a simple jail term, but do in fact impose restrictions to servitude (slavery), as well as strip one of any humanity, dignity, and provide absolutely no measure for "rehabilitation" whatsoever.

I also took some time while there (had plenty of it) to write out the entire menu as named, and get the average of the inmates feelings on the meal. Beans & Weaners was up there as the best, and this is given the "jail" scale, so a 5, is based on the meals provided which would be approximately 1/50 on a scale relative for the crappiest taco from taco bell -- say... just the meat stuff slopped onto a plate being a 1, would equal on the jail scale from 1-5, about 10.
After reading this long post, and I have never been in a Prison and never will be, if Canada prisons are like CA prisons, this post really scared the shit out of me..........And my has-been wanted to go back to prison? What the hell for?
Old 06-11-2016, 11:55 PM

Question Curious.........I.S.P. Blythe State Prison......

Does anyone have information on what Iron Wood State Prison is like? Hubby is on a Level 3 yard, and would be interested in information on what that CA prison is like........Thank you......
Old 11-12-2017, 01:15 PM

Default GA Prison

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon20 View Post
Yeah I have a question! My mother is serving 4yrs in Georgia and has already done a year1 I worry about her all the time because she can't call me and I live over 5hrs away and have a baby! When I do see her she looks awful she always tells me to be strong and that she's fine! But I know better any advice? She has never been a mentally emonitanly or physically strong person I am so scared that being locked up is going to have neg affects on her any advice?
You were not specific on which prison in GA. They are all different, but in some ways the same. I am hoping that your mother is out now. 2017.