Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Raising Children with Parents in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Raising Children with Parents in Prison For the Parent left behind with children AND for the Children that have a parent inside. Discussion of unique challenges facing this group!

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2017, 09:35 AM
Kimmied1105's Avatar
Kimmied1105 Kimmied1105 is offline
Broken Mom

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Alabama US
Posts: 29
Thanks: 5
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default Need advice on children of an inmate

My son has been locked up for a year and a half and unfortanutely his baby girl was born after he was locked up. She is now a year old and the mother won't let me, the grandmother have anything to do with her as well as they have shut off communication to my son and he can't even call and check on her. Her mother has married since my son has been locked up. What can I do to start the process of visitation before my son gets out in a year.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kimmied1105 For This Useful Post:
Gardis.Girl13 (11-18-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2017, 12:09 PM
nimuay's Avatar
nimuay nimuay is online now
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: new york
Posts: 23,820
Thanks: 6,067
Thanked 28,537 Times in 10,370 Posts

Consult with a Family Law attorney (might be a free consult or you might have to pay for an hour of their time) about grandparents' rights. Get visitation for yourself with your granddaughter if you can.

If there is no court decree on custody or visitation, then that would probably be another place to start. Difficult, since he's in prison, but that's the beginning. He petitions the Family court (or whatever it's called in your state) for visitation, and, some time down the road, for joint custody.
You'll know you've created God in your own image when He hates all the people you do.

Last edited by nimuay; 11-08-2017 at 01:32 PM..
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nimuay For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (11-16-2017), maytayah (11-16-2017), sidewalker (11-08-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 10:42 PM
careyon careyon is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 74
Thanks: 0
Thanked 49 Times in 29 Posts

You need to seek legal advice. I hope it all works out.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:26 AM
Fridyrr.Likn's Avatar
Fridyrr.Likn Fridyrr.Likn is offline
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 


Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Casa Grande, AZ
Posts: 2,507
Thanks: 6,100
Thanked 2,653 Times in 1,279 Posts

As stated above, you will need to seek grandparent's rights and your son will need to seek custody orders. An attorney would be very helpful especially because he's in prison. Unfortunately, in most states, grandparents rights alone will not allow you to take a child to visit as there has to be written permission from the parent (which the inmate cannot provide).
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:46 PM
trauma4us trauma4us is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 640
Thanks: 606
Thanked 758 Times in 349 Posts

In our state, IL grandparents rights don't exist. So, we hired a family law lawyer (approx $4-5k for our case) went to court for supervised visits and this was granted. It was all about the relationship that existed PRIOR to our son being incarcerated - my grandson knew and loved his Dad very much and our son is incarcerated for many years.

In the end, we are the supervisors of the visit and our grandson gets to see his Dad about twice/month or so. It has worked out well.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trauma4us For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (02-16-2018), nimuay (11-18-2017)


children of inmate rights

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For all the ladies with children... i need advice TRINITEE729 Raising Children with Parents in Prison 15 11-16-2017 03:39 AM
Ex-Wife Won't Bring Children-Need Advice thetebbybear General Prison Talk 29 09-16-2009 10:19 PM
Need Advice!! Having children when he comes home dania Husbands & Boyfriends in Prison 23 06-21-2008 10:26 AM
ADVICE PLEASE! Step-Children Woes Neca Blacc Husbands & Boyfriends in Prison 7 07-18-2006 09:37 AM

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:27 PM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics