Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > Mental Health
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Mental Health Pleae use this forum for all mental health related issues dealing with the prison system.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:45 PM

Default Bipolar Type Schizoaffective Disorder

So my husband has bipolar type Schizoaffective disorder, which he unfortunately wasn't diagnosed with until after being incarcerated or there's a high chance he wouldn't be incarcerated right now. As someone who deals with their own mental health issues and also as someone who's heavily interested in psychology in general, I was wondering if any of you had any advice, resources, or experience on the disorder.

I am able to find a few things on the internet from websites I personally trust for psychology information, but I realize nothing on the internet can trump personal experience with it and that even the most reputable sites on the internet must always be taken with a grain of salt when it comes to psychology. Any advice you can give would be very much appreciated. Any resources, even if it's more websites, will be very much appreciated. Any experiences you can pass on to me to help prepare me for the rest of my life with him will be very much appreciated.

I adore my husband more than words can express, and I am determined to support him as best I can in his fight against this disorder. Both of us also have Aspergers, so if there is anything you can pass on to me related to that, I would appreciate it very much.
The Following User Says Thank You to NeedA_Name For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-07-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2017, 10:46 AM

Encourage him to get help. Encourage him to accept help when offered. That's what we can do as loved ones. Willingness to accept help is really key here. Accept that his issues are beyond what you can effectively manage and your role is to provide support to get the help he needs.

There are jail diversion initiatives in many states for the mentally ill. NAMI is a good resource to find out about programs available. The success of these programs do depend on a willingness to accept help when offered.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Babyx For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-07-2017), NeedA_Name (11-07-2017), nimuay (11-07-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 09:52 AM

There are many more options when the charges are at a misdemeanor level.
it's a whole other ballgame when there's class a felonies involved. Do your best to keep things from escalating.

Easier said than done, I know. In hindsight, I should have pursued more aggressive tactics early on. Nip it in the bud at the first truly distressing signs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Babyx For This Useful Post:
NeedA_Name (11-08-2017)