Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Friends & Families of Addicts
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Friends & Families of Addicts Information for coping, dealing & living with a loved one's addictive behavior.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:16 AM

Default What do you do to take care of you?

I have someone I love very much that is an addict and has just come home from prison. She will be in parole mandated classes, but she already knows from the therapy what she needs to do to stay clean. She had to go through a pretty horrific rock bottom experience whIle she was incarcerated, but no she doing well.

Now I'm kinda of re-evaluating what I need to do to take better care of me. I know about Nar-Anon, and now I'm not going to visitation on Saturday morning it's going to be much easier to get into a group. I'm working to get into the gym again and eat better, both are struggles at the moment, but I have learned the six weeks rule enough times to have hope. When I'm not up running, I'm trying to just go walk. I have gone through some therapy as well just to better deal with the stress of a close parent with cancer. I really, really hate to start doing them, but I found that cleaning and cooking both relax me. Lol.

I was just wondering what others do to take care of themselves?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2017, 02:55 PM

Church, Yoga, listen to inspirational messages on youtube, spend itme in prayer. long walks
God will supply your needs, call on Him. Praying for you! P.S. cleaning calms me as well :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to careyon For This Useful Post:
K6770 (11-18-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 05:25 PM

Thanked 3,966 Times in 2,126 Posts

Whatever I need to do to feel good!!
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
K6770 (11-18-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 05:56 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,823 Times in 5,322 Posts

I guess I have two answers--

Being with a person active in their addiction is not possible for me. I self-destruct, so the only thing I can do to care for myself is create and maintain boundaries. Learned that one the hard way.

With someone active in their recovery, then my self-care looks like it usually does plus ensuring that I don't tip over into trying to parent them. As you've said, Nar or Al-anon are fantastic, finding a way to nurture your spiritual health, volunteer for a cause you're passionate about.

I also love to clean, but more like purge. It can get a little insane and then I wind up re-buying things I just threw out. Ha!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (11-07-2017), K6770 (11-18-2017), xolady (11-05-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 09:19 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,915 Times in 981 Posts

I work out 5 days a week. Take walks. Raise chickens and ducks. Garden. Listen to music. Take long baths (usually interrupted multiple items by children but such is life). Bake fresh bread....
The Following User Says Thank You to Fridyrr.Likn For This Useful Post:
K6770 (11-18-2017)