Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Federal General Prison Talk This forum is for general topics & discussions relating to the U.S. Federal Prison System. If there is no other category available, please use this one.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:05 AM

Default How does the system decide where you will serve?

Have a friend who is going to be sentenced in the Fall into a federal prison I am guessing. Her crime was wire fraud, maximum 5 years. She doesn't know how long her sentence will be.

How do they decided where you will go -- she lives in Southern California.

Thanks ahead of time.

She's a first time offender if that makes a difference, never been in trouble.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2011, 03:51 AM

the way i understand it is generally security level is a big factor in determining placement. I cannot say for sure w/o knowing more details, but it sounds like she might be good for minimum/camp placement. The BoP would decide which facility to send her. The judge can make a recomendation, and on paper the BoP is "supposed" to take distance into account, but both of those are not binding. There are somet hings that almost always preclude camp placement, such as public safety factor.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:45 AM
LYIDFIW

I would go to www.bop.gov and click on Inmate Matters and then look for designation and computation and open up the dscc program statement. They base it upon sentence, custody points , management variables, program needs, judges recommendations (which are rarely ever followed), and you can see how things work. It is complicated and the BOP doesn't hardly ever follow rules so it's a luck of the draw.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,766 Times in 4,308 Posts

Sounds like she will likely be minimum custody, so would be placed at a camp. She would have to have a sentence of 10 years of less to be placed at a camp - and no public safety factors or management variables. (Doubtful she'll have those from what you describe.) There is a women's camp at Victorville in southern California. The sentencing judge can make a recommendation and sometimes it's followed. Sometimes not. If she has co-defendants, that might affect placement also.