Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > The War on Drugs - and the results of it
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

The War on Drugs - and the results of it A war against drugs, or against families?

View Poll Results: What is the gateway drug
Pot 20 26.67%
Alcohol 55 73.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2013, 07:56 AM
§2K2.2. [Deleted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prochef View Post
Every time i hear the media talk about pot, they always say it is the gateway to other drug use. I feel alcohol is the gateway to the use of other drugs. In almost everyone i talked to they said they ran into first time drug use while at drinking parties, but alcohol is legal. How many of you know someone who has died from drinking related death? By no means am i promoting drug use. What do you think is it pot or alcohol ?
The gateway to your mind.....

I love you sweet leaf !

Its a medicine not to be abused by the government.
The Following User Says Thank You to Busted922 For This Useful Post:
Prochef (05-13-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2013, 11:29 PM
Unrepentant Mule-Wearer
Donation Award 

Yes, I have a close relative who died of alcoholism at the age of 48.

I have yet to meet or hear of anyone who died of marijuana use at any age.

My "gateway drug" was Boone's Farm Apple Wine, baby : ) There but for the grace of God...

**I actually think the gateway drug theory is a crock, whether alchohol, pot or something else. YMMV
Prochef (05-13-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prochef View Post
Every time i hear the media talk about pot, they always say it is the gateway to other drug use. I feel alcohol is the gateway to the use of other drugs. In almost everyone i talked to they said they ran into first time drug use while at drinking parties, but alcohol is legal. How many of you know someone who has died from drinking related death? By no means am i promoting drug use. What do you think is it pot or alcohol ?
i find alcohol and drugs go hand in hand. first the person gets drunk and then the drugs follow. you know, not having a clear head about what's going on while drunk and just accepting on the basis of prolonging the fun. i had a friend die who overdosed on a drug while he was drinking. passed out from the alcohol, but died in his sleep from the drug. i dont think pot is a gateway drug for other substances. i know people who smoke pot and don't drink or smoke. i know people who drink who do cocaine and other harder drugs. either way, it's the generally unique to the person involved. i had opportunities in my life to get high but i chose not to, i drank and peer pressure, temptation was very real but i avoided it. if someone wants to do drugs or drink, they will. its easy to spiral. i voted alcohol
Old 07-21-2014, 08:29 AM
Donation Award 

It most certainly is, like someone said you can only get so high. I went to harder drugs, eventually quit them but still smoked pot for 20 years straight until my arrest. I was always such a pro marijuana advocate. I can say the past few years without it have been clearer, focused and just plain better. I am much more active, work better, etc. I believe had I never smoked it or stopped after college my life would have been much better. Aside from my crime I still had a good job, was financially successful and by Americas standards, living the American Dream. However I feel I missed out on much more important things because I was high every day. I would not want my kids smoking pot all the time. Just my opinion
The Following User Says Thank You to goodfella13 For This Useful Post:
Lordbew/us (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 09:29 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,288 Times in 607 Posts

I think for some it is a gateway drug just as beer and liquor is, for others its not
The Following User Says Thank You to mg113 For This Useful Post:
Lordbew/us (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 12:35 PM

Thanked 2,519 Times in 880 Posts

I believe legalizing marajuana is opening another pandora's box!
I'm not looking forward to seeing what legalizing pot will do in the future for our young people, the results are not in.
The world we are living in is in truly SAD shape and is in a Spiritual free fall! Our kids are being sent so many wrong messages. We are living in a very selfish society and the younger generations will pay the price AS will we for allowing an anything goes mentality!!! I think there are NO easy answers or solutions outside of GOD. The ball was dropped many years ago and continues to roll out of control...we are reaping what we've sowed.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:42 PM

No, I do not believe that weed is a gateway drug. I believe it is Alcohol. All day long!
Old 08-11-2014, 10:43 PM
TheBee'sKnees
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,724 Times in 1,115 Posts

The gateway drug is television.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:11 AM

Thanked 1,722 Times in 908 Posts

It's the never ending question. Recreational drug/alcohol use is WAY overused. Marijuana is a plant. And I firmly believe in medically using any natural plants without the stigma of it being a drug. It's the recreational use of anything to get high and that varies from person to person. I don't really believe in 'gateway' drugs. You either have an inclination or you don't. You either find another form of recreation or not. Pot and alcohol are just the easiest to come by. If heroin or speed were the most used they would be the gateway drug. Alcohol is legal so many homes have some form of it. Pot is widely used so again it's everywhere. The others are more closet or hardened or less likely to run into on a night out. In most cases.
Me and my mom had the medical marijuana debate many times. And I always said, so if someone really needed it medically you would still call it bad, a crime. She always said yes. But started to see my point. And unfortunately she had cancer and I remember her calling me. Asking if I could get her some to try. She was so sick. Couldn't eat. Couldn't get any relief. And all the 'prescription' drugs were giving her such bad side effects. I never rubbed it in her face. Never said I told you so. But she now has a whole new appreciation for natural medication.
Anyways. My point being. I don't believe in gateway drugs. You either have a desire or you don't.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:36 PM
nycgal

It was for me, I can only speak for myself. In recovery many, many years now. I was destined to become an alcoholic and an addict because of so many factors its not one thing. You can't compare, some people can drink and put it down, people can use pot recreationally but I think if you ask most recovering people the number would be very high (hmm) that they began with pot.

Oh sorry I didn't see that it was a question I thought it was just regarding drugs, in answer to compared to alcohol I would have to answer alcohol hands down.

Last edited by nycgal; 08-25-2014 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: Missed reading the question
Old 09-08-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS0803JAE View Post
I think it is to an extent, most kids try weed first & think "hey! This didn't kill me it was nothing like they taught us in school." .... So then most of the time, those same "kids" go onto trying harder drugs with the mentality that it won't kill them or won't be addicting.

This is exactly what I was going to say, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to stylesofdanger For This Useful Post:
Lordbew/us (09-10-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 11:36 PM

I think anything is the gateway way drug if we allow it to be. Might be cliche, but mind over matter. I'm an advocate for legalizing pot, it's much more dangerous than alcohol. But as anything in life, some of us have an addictive side, maybe because it's in our family history. But I believe just as everything in our life, it's all a choice we make. The term 'gateway drug' in my opinion is just an excuse. At the end of the day the choice is ours.

"The Degree of Civilization in a Society Can Be Judged by Entering its Prisons"
Old 09-14-2014, 09:25 PM
tired

Thanked 14,176 Times in 3,688 Posts

Well marijuana is legal to those who carry a card in California. You can buy the crap anywhere, everywhere, and then some. Some people are glad there is not public cigarette smoking in clubs, eat out places or near any building usually so with that I want to say why should it be legal to set out at the library and watch people roll blunts and then puff the smoke my way? I sort of think that's violating my rights and opening the door to the gateway for me to want to try it and other stuff...
okay, that was sarcasm. I don't care if pot is legal. Smoke it, smoke it, smoke and pay those high dollar taxes too. From what I've seen from people who smoke they become pretty 'duh...' so I don't see them venturing to farawy from the video game they're playing or the twinkie tray to go find something a little more hard core. Drugs are out there, meth is some nasty ass shit and it's taking over our youth, pot is probably one of the lesser of the evils. bb
Old 09-14-2014, 10:12 PM

I think ANY gateway drug is the one that compensates for a person dealing with reality. Whether it's booze, tobacco, pot, meth, whatever. Because at some point what you're taking or how much isn't going to work anymore and you need more or something else.

We have pain, loss, stress, whatever in our lives and when we reply on something else to take care of that instead of dealing with it ourselves we're playing with fire. And the result often sucks. I've done it and still have a hard time sometimes...

And now we have more and more gateway drugs that are prescription. Awesome. Yeah, gateway drugs abound
Old 09-17-2014, 08:32 AM

Pot should be legal. I am certain I am ADHD and when I smoke I can focus. Example, ill be trying to clean the house and jump around from one task to the next, can NOT stay on just one thing. Smoke a bowl. And I'm able to finish what I started.

As far as it being a "gateway" drug. I think not. Alcohol always seems to lead me to harder things. I shouldn't drink. I'm aware.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:24 AM

Alcohol and weed are not gateway drugs. The whole concept of the "gateway" drug probably came about by a total lack of understanding of probabilities and is a total fallacy. Due to how common alcohol and weed is it's just common sense, almost obvious that anyone who tries hard drugs have tried softer drugs.

It's always wise to remember that correlation does imply causation but unfortunately the media and law are unable to see the flaws in their reasoning. It's like saying milk is the "gateway" liquid to alcohol and has an even greater correlation of 100% with alcohol than alcohol and weed has to hard drugs but it's obviously total nonsense.

Last edited by nines; 09-17-2014 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Old 09-27-2014, 07:36 AM

I agree that neither are a gateway drug. I agree the term came about out of ignorance, but then was further used as propaganda to aid the failed war on drugs.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:35 PM
Always Remembered
Donation Award 

Thanked 30,845 Times in 11,079 Posts

The gateway is a tendency to addictive behavior; it's not about the substance.
JennaJackson88 (08-19-2016), Lordbew/us (10-05-2014), miamac (07-19-2016), Mikesgirl73 (10-06-2014)
Old 03-31-2015, 07:42 PM
TheBee'sKnees
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,724 Times in 1,115 Posts

The gateway is the cultural message that passive escape is a viable and even beneficial path. The gateway is the culturally accepted notion that any discomfort is to be avoided at all costs. And it begins in childhood with mind-numbing, passive television/screen time.
Cutepixie (04-05-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 10:23 AM

Thanked 2,091 Times in 1,003 Posts

Your medicine cabinet. Yep I said it...at 13 I was addicted to morphine from a friends medicine cabinet...and although not everyone has morphine in your medicine cabinet I'm sure there are a lot of other fun drugs that adolescents don't mind trying out. I told my parents that they needed to sit me down and talk to me about things like that and what addiction really was so I had a better understanding. I'm sure I also could have made better choices and not done the things I did...but it's all a learning experience.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:51 AM
Donation Award 

While I don't believe either is a gateway drug, I chose alcohol for personal reasons. When I drink, I have a tendency to want to smoke and I'm more susceptible to trying other things while I'm drinking. I've considered trying other things besides weed and alcohol in the past but not because I tried either one, just out of curiosity. Hearing stories of the wild trips and such made me want to experience a little Wonderland myself! I think weed used to be considered a gateway drug because it was so easily accessible and that would be the first thing people tried before using strong drugs. But nowadays anything and everything is easily accessible and they skip the weed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shine0749 For This Useful Post:
Lordbew/us (11-04-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 05:31 PM

I didn't vote but as I read through the comments I have to agree it has more to do with the person than the substance.

I believe that either drugs or alcohol are "gateway" substances the same way a butter knife is a "gateway" to a switch blade!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UnjustSystem For This Useful Post:
JennaJackson88 (08-19-2016), Lordbew/us (11-04-2015)
Old 07-19-2016, 11:04 AM

I believe they can both be the gateway drug, it really depends on the person.

All the former addicts I know cannot partake in either of them because it ends up being a slippery slope.
The Following User Says Thank You to additup For This Useful Post:
Lordbew/us (08-21-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 06:57 PM

Default Neither

There isn't such thing as a gateway drug. The only reason many drug abusers start with weed or alcohol, is because they're what's easily available. For every person who went from weed to heroine and meth, there's probably a hundred people who only smoked weed and never had interest in other drugs. I bet every addict started with coffee too. I'm fairly certain the gateway theory has been disproven in studies anyways.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:52 PM

Thanked 1,117 Times in 527 Posts

Depends on the person, both pot and alcohol can become addictive to certain people and open up a lifestyle and many doors to go down a bad way with harder drugs. I don't think using one or the other necessarily opens the gateway I think it is the particular person's lifestyle and addiction issues that helps them go down that path.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Struck For This Useful Post:
Lordbew/us (08-21-2016)