Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > The War on Drugs - and the results of it
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

The War on Drugs - and the results of it A war against drugs, or against families?

View Poll Results: Do you think the that first-time felon drug charges should be thrown in prison?
Yes 55 6.96%
No 735 93.04%
Voters: 790. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2008, 08:14 PM

I agree 100%. My son is serving a four year sentence for drug trafficking. He's a nonviolent, first time offender. His addiction controlled him to a degree, but he did work to support his kids & hide how bad his problem was from his wife & family. He sold to his friends to support his habit. Don't get me wrong, he broke the law & deserves to be punished. But four years away from his kids & family. Not to mention trying to find employment, adjusting back to a family life after being gone so long. Addiction is a sickness, so how does locking someone up change that fact. Jail time & treatment makes more sense & is cheaper for the tax payers! He could be home supporting his family & getting help with his addiction which led him to be an offender in the first place.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:46 AM

Hmm my wife was sentenced 10 months for selling 1 1/2 oz of pot over a 3 month period by the same wired person. And that was over 2 years ago and now paying 2 1/2 years or so later. we have 2 daughters, and i work 2nd shift, animals locked up in the house 8-12 hours a day unless i can get some one to stop by. its all messed up... longest 5 days away from some one in my life... I do feel a bit better knowing were not the only ones that have gotten fucked over, but yet it is B.S. They knew she is a house wife with children/ family, that doesn't do much but cook and clean take care of the kids, cook breakfast and dinner.... Yeah a big threat to society..... I mean wtf???? And yet it all comes down to a meth addict(narc)that fucked us over so she could keep tweaking........
Old 06-19-2008, 02:19 PM

I turn myself in 7 days for a 57 month sentance for 1st time anything let alone felony charge.. I knew what I was doing, and the risk I was taking, I did think they would be easier on me since this is my anything. So no I don't think they should go to prison, We should get a chance at some kind of reform..
The Following User Says Thank You to iforresti For This Useful Post:
Shygirl4joker13 (12-14-2015)
Old 06-19-2008, 04:18 PM

Well to start off let me say that my husband which i love and adore with all my heart is in prison for intent to distribute. i honestly think he does deserve to be there for doing something illegal. but i also believe that they should give him a couple of breaks on time he will be serving, when its there first non violent felony. i also beleive prison has saved him from the coke addict he was behind every ones back, if not right now i dont know were he would be. his got 1 yr 4 months left which beleive me when i say it seems eternal. i think that prison will help him be a better human, husband and father when his out. god works in mysterious ways and i think that god listened to my prayers, when i asked him to save my husband and my marriage, to help my husband be the man i married. i asked god to do what ever it took, no matter how hard it was as long as i could deal with it and ofcourse my husband could deal with it, and guess what, this happened. i beleive in my heart that this is for a better future when he is finally free. the only thing that makes me very sad is the fact that he is a resident alien and will be deported. and ofcourse that right now i am raising 2 boys (5 and 6) all alone with out a father figure.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:58 PM
you can't kill integrity

My father is serving 56 years on a first offense non-violent drug crime.... its ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.
There is grace and forgiveness,
Mercy and healing....

He'll meet you WHEREVER you are..

CRY OUT TO JESUS

Old 06-20-2008, 07:34 PM

Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,456 Posts

Yes! especially the Crack vs Cocain Law, it is soooo discriminatory!

There are different organizations that you can hook up with to make help make a change. Some will atlease give you a link to other organizations that are more specific to your intrest. Check out The Sentencing Project, Human Rights Watch ....good luck. Contact me if you want some more info

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeFaithNLove View Post
I think someone should start a petition on first-time drug charges going to prison. I think that some people get into more trouble than they could have expected.

They should be given an automatic chance on probation with some type of class that has to be taken as well, instead of being thrown in prison for 2-10 years or more!

If you agree please post here. If you know anything about trying to change the law in US please let me know!

I am in Texas!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noboundries For This Useful Post:
adbaby (10-06-2008), mortimersmith (09-18-2008)
Old 07-11-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeFaithNLove View Post
I think someone should start a petition on first-time drug charges going to prison. I think that some people get into more trouble than they could have expected.

They should be given an automatic chance on probation with some type of class that has to be taken as well, instead of being thrown in prison for 2-10 years or more!

If you agree please post here. If you know anything about trying to change the law in US please let me know!

I am in Texas!
I'm in Texas as well and it is insane and alot of other states from what I'm seeing have the same stories,they are horrific! I might be a statistic myself...We all need to get togethor on this one! I wish we had more knowledge..They need help not prison!

Old 07-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Son home from La Tuna

Default Petition for Relief from Drug War Injustice

My son came home after 2 years in Oct from Federal Prison and had never been in trouble before that and im with anyone that wants to get on board with a Petition and i had found a web site last year to print off and you can too
www.november.org
It is the November Coalition
Old 09-17-2008, 11:05 PM

Angry hopeandfaithnlove

i agree with u hun i think they should be able to get something but not prison time. my husband was a 1st time offender and he got 14 yrs in fci low in beaumont tx and we r from alabama. he will not get out till one week after my son's 21st birthday and our daughter will be 19 and they r only 11 n 8 rite now... i mean this is bull crapi understand that selling drugs is a crime but peoeple get out here n drink n drive n kill some1 n only get wat??? maybe 1 or 2 in prison or not even that???? do they not understand that our kids are the that are getting punished as well??? my kids have changed so much since their dad has been gone they went from good kids to demons i love my kids with all my heart n soul but something has got to give.......
Old 09-24-2008, 07:57 PM
gj07

I think the school zone is a rotten deal since school zone does not mean just a school or school yard, but can be many things such as a field where school kids practice, a school administrative building, a church that might have a school activity occasionally, etc. Just about any area can be called within a school zone. This is just a law to be used by the prosecuring attorney whenever he wants to add more time.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:27 PM

no they should have to
be charged
Old 09-30-2008, 05:41 PM

ok for the Oregon voters... they want was to vote on adding drug and property crimes to measure 11, what they aren't telling us is that if this passes then we are also authorizing the building of 3 more prisons in the state of Oregon and 4,000- 6,000 more Oregonians going to prison. I have spoken to several people about this matter and the best action is to get everyone to vote "NO" on this matter. It seems like the Oregon government won't stop until they have all Oregonians in prison somehow.

Just thought this would be the best place to put this since prisons effect all of us on this forum
Old 10-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Son home from La Tuna

My son is home after serving two years as a first time non violent drug offender and is doing really good.He has been home one year already.
He said prison wasnt what helped him it was drug rehab that he was in for 45 days after he was bustted that helped him so by the time he went to prison he was already clean
Things have got to change in our drug laws
Old 10-06-2008, 01:45 AM

Unhappy

I'M SO UPSET W/ OUR SYSTEM IT'S CRAZY TO SEND US AWAY TO PRISON FOR OUR FIRST OFFENSE, MY HUSBAND WAS SENTENCED TO 10 YRS. AT AGE 18 FOR A SMALL DRUG CHARGE, CRAZY I KNOW...
Old 10-06-2008, 01:46 AM

[quote=jdhbabygirl;4039972] I'M SO UPSET W/ OUR SYSTEM IT'S CRAZY TO SEND US AWAY TO PRISON FOR OUR FIRST OFFENSE, MY HUSBAND WAS SENTENCED TO 10 YRS. AT AGE 18 FOR A SMALL DRUG CHARGE, CRAZY I KNOW...
Old 10-06-2008, 05:56 PM

Im in Texas too but my man is in Arkansas Pen. First time drug charge and not for any hard drugs... I think that he should have gotten probation but I guess they think that if they go to prison that they will change their ways. After going to prison it's hard for anyone to do anything positive with their lives because noone wants to hire a person with a record now days. anyways I hope that everything works out.. All we can do is pray for the best.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:23 AM

Let me vent my feelings on the "drug war". I am 30yrs old, was attending 2 colleges, own a small business, and worked as a realtor. A very good friend of mine was caught selling drugs. I told him that I would help his wife and kids until he got out of prison. I gave her money on several occasions to help her out. I called just about every day to check on her. One day she came to me and said that she needed to talk to me about something. She said that the guy her husband was dealing with was looking for someone to help move a kilo of cocaine, and she asked if I could help her. My first response was "HELL NO". She brought the subject up many times and I always rejected the proposition. One day she asked me to come over,I went, she pulled her pockets out and showed me $2 and a little change and began crying,saying "I cant feed the kids,I can't buy them school clothes, I can't pay the bills,etc. She said that the guy promised her $2000 if she could find someone to move a kilo. She told me that through her husband, she could move it fast and just needed my help. I agreed to help but made my feelings wel known to her that I didn't approve but gave my word to help. I borrowed the money,picked her up and went to meet the guy. I get thrown on the ground with guns in my face and arrested for posession with intent to distribute 500grms or more. I never asked to be involved, I was never looking for drugs.I was talked into something that I wanted no part of. Through the discovery information I learned that she was working as a cs for the FBI. She set me up so her husband would get a reduced sentence.He didn't.She was paid a very small amount of money and my life is over. After I made bond and talked with my family I was so ashamed that I sat on the foot of the bed with a pistol in my mouth praying to God to forgive me for what I was about to do. I think by the faith of God my fiance called and talked to me and changed my mindset. I was in the process of starting a big brother-big sister organization, less than 10 months away from a Bachelors degree, had already started a very succesfull SCUBA club, me and my fiance were planning on trying to get pregnant in the winter and getting married in the early spring.Now all is lost. All of this not for the so called "war on drugs" but to ad another number to a FBI agents record. The FED's say that they didn't record any conversations prior to the agreement, how convienent for them huh?Those conversations plainly show my objection to the situation as well as her saying "I can sell it,I just need the money and a way to get there". What do you think about the "war on drugs" now? I am a first time offende and am looking at 5-40yrs.........5-40yrs!!!!!!!!!!! As far as I am concerned the US government and every three letter organization can KISS MY ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by bow-hunter; 10-28-2008 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: addition
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bow-hunter For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (07-20-2009)
Old 10-28-2008, 01:05 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

I thank you, bow-hunter--you have provided food for thought and a very good point that is often ignored in discussions of this sort. Why, if drugs are such a "menace to society", are those charged with enforcing the laws against them forced to CREATE criminals as opposed to arresting those who are supposedly destroying the moral fabric of society? Could it be that there isn't a monster under the bed after all?

Perhaps the pro "war on drugs" people could weigh in on this. Is a potential sentence of 5-40 years an appropriate response to what is, at worst, a case of poor judgment? For the record, I find this sort of thing utterly ridiculous.

Stick around, bow-hunter....you'll find fellowship and support here. Above all, you will find that you are far from alone.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

Last edited by DaveMoff; 10-28-2008 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: to add material.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveMoff For This Useful Post:
bow-hunter (12-11-2008)
Old 11-08-2008, 11:27 AM

It makes so much more sense to me for our government to legalize marijuana. That would allow them to tax it and control it. That would eliminate so many problems.
My son has told me that he saw something in rehab where Obama was stating that same thing. I can only hope that our government finally stops letting the pharmaceutical companies paying so much to lobbyists to keep it illegal.
I believe that our federal sentencing structure is nothing short of ridiculous.
My future SIL had never been in trouble in his life and got talked into
helping an uncle and cousins with a large marijuana grow. Conspiracy
to manufacture is a 10 year sentence for first time offenders. He has accepted responsibility for his part and cooperated by answering questions, so there will be some downward departure. My daughter and I ended up in the middle of this when they got busted. Fortunately, we aren't looking at any charges. But, I did have to make a statement. There are 5 lives ruined for something that shouldn't even be illegal, IMO.
During the last couple of months, while looking for information and answers, I have been horrified by some of the stories that I have came across in how the feds operate. They look at the end result they want and then do anything to get there, making great deals with the bad guys to often end up with the decent person getting screwed.
Between my experience through the last couple of months with my SIL and the last 6 months with Immigration with my husband....and many other government agencies along the way.........I have completely lost faith in the US governmment to be able to do the right thing. I worry where the US headed and what chance my kids have for a future with the route things are headed.
Sign as many online petitions that you can. If everybody gets involved, we can make a change.
The Following User Says Thank You to pamela_c For This Useful Post:
Shygirl4joker13 (12-14-2015)
Old 11-19-2008, 07:50 AM
dianna4444

http://www.fedcure.org/information/F...rWriting.shtml write sentencing commission to help our loved ones come home sooner from federal prisons, this is a bill that needs to be passed offers, less time and possibility of parole, we are stronger in numbers thanks
Old 11-28-2008, 04:08 PM
gj07

I have just recently become a part of this drug war problem. For years I had no pity on people that used drugs, after all I and my family did not use drugs so why have pity on someone who did. Then it hits your family and you find out that a really great person has been using and is in deep trouble from it. The solution is alternate to prison facilities that work much like a boot camp with training in refraining from drugs use. We have some really great facilities that cost just a very small amount in comparison to prison.
Why are these not being used. In my case, I am seeing a law enforcement group that prefer prison due to the big story it gives them of cleaning the streets of drugs, even though they know that the person will go to prison and most likely return again to the streets. I know we have some great law enforcement people who devote their lives to trying to do the right thing and I have always supported them, but now I am seeing there are some that are thinking of their career progression and how great this will look for them. In my case, I am still haunted by the young female detective who could not wipe the smile from her face or the giggles from her voice as she sat at the sentencing while hearts were breaking for others. I wish I could just tell her that smiling at a sentencing is like smiling at a funeral. All that was on her mind though was how her career would be helped. How sad that we have to experience this ourselves before we begin looking at the problem.
I have prayed so hard for a different outcome. I Just try to think now that maybe God needs people like us that have come from a very law abiding family to having a family member involved. Maybe we are the ones that can get someone to listen. We all need to try. We need to learn all we can about drugs, we need to join all the organizations that are trying to change this situation, and we need to write everyone we can think of that might can make a difference. This is my opinion. I am open to any suggestions though.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:28 PM
gj07

They have alternates to prison for non-violent drug offenders which is almost 2 years of very stringent training. Those that do not comply with the program as they should can then be tried for their original charges. This is very inexpensive compared to prison for the taxpayers and has a very high success rate. Why does law enforcement prefer prison--all I can figure is that it does not make such a dramatic ending for them and thus not as beneficial in their career. If they can lock someone up in prison they can say they are cleaning up the streets of drugs. All they are doing is locking them away with violent offenders. When they are released with no help in combating their habit they are back on the streets and many have now learned to be violent criminals. They can then be arrested again and someone can then say how they are doing so much to clean up the streets. If this cycle can not be broken, it just keeps getting worse. We are the ones that need to convince those in charge that this is wrong. Those on drugs need help. We need to do all we can to convince those that are making our laws that this is wrong.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:10 PM
FOREVER

Default program ?

what is the program called and do all prisons offer it. my hubby is in Englewood Colorado has served 2yrs 3mos now on his 12 year sentenced

he is a first time offender NON VIOLENT

Old 12-11-2008, 12:17 PM
gj07

There are alternates to prison that run from 18-24 months for non-violent first time drug offenders. This is a very intense program which include drug rehab. There success rate is high. A person can attend the program and if the school feels they have not been a success with the program will send them back to face their charges. So there is really nothing to loose while saving the higher expense of prison. Why prison instead? The only reason I can figure out is that law enforcement will not get the recognition they will get from a big prison sentence.

I know someone said they did not think anyone went to prison for their first criminal offense. Yes, they do, with no weapons, no manufacturing, etc. Also, on school zone. This is not necessarily a school zone as most of us think of a school zone. It covers a broad range and can even be a church in some cases.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:46 PM
gj07

Someone asked what the Alternate to Prison program are called. That is what they are called. There is a chain in Texas that are called Cenikor. There is one in Fort Worth, one in Houston, and one in Deer Park; also one in Baton Rouge, LA. The admissions dept number is 1-888-236-4567. I was told there is also a simular program in Colorado. They are very low cost. The people attending must work there way through the program. They are not paid wages, but are given all they need. This is one way they keep the cost so low. I was told by someone that it is like a long boot camp. They do have a better success rate than prison and also are a lot cheaper. So why does law enforcement prefer prison?? It just does not make sense to me.