Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > European Prison & Criminal Justice Topics
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

European Prison & Criminal Justice Topics Prison, Jail and Criminal Justice discussions in relation to European countries.

Old 05-29-2006, 11:16 AM
Donation Award 

Default Rapper faces jail for song dissing France

Angelique Chrisafis in Paris
Monday May 29, 2006
The Guardian
One of France's most popular rappers will appear in court today charged with offending public decency with a song in which he referred to France as a "slut" and vowed to "piss" on Napoleon and Charles de Gaulle. Monsieur R, whose real name is Richard Makela, could face three years in prison or a €75,000 (£51,000) fine after an MP from the ruling UMP party launched legal action against him over his album Politikment Incorrekt.
Article:Rapper
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2006, 03:27 AM
Super Duper Admin
Donation Award 

Thanked 16,451 Times in 5,895 Posts

Politically Incorrect - I would love to hear his songs translated. I dont understand much French. Is it really that bad, that he has to censored, or did he tell the truth and he has hit a raw note?

PTO Administrator
Old 06-03-2006, 06:08 AM
Donation Award 

No word on the outcome of the trial yet. I found the misogynist, sexist lyrics that were quoted in the article very offensive but I don't agree that it requires a trial and possible jail term.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:49 AM
Super Duper Admin
Donation Award 

I also read those parts of the Lyrics, that is whjy I would like to read the whole thing. His words are really harsh, but I also agree that instead of jailing him they should just take his music off the market.

PTO Administrator
Old 06-04-2006, 03:23 AM
Frenchy Member

LOL girls, you know a lot more about what's going on in my country than me !!! But I'm half Floridian.

Actually, I never heard of this guy before. I can't find the whole text, what's in the French websites is what is printed in the Guardian.

I think he can say thank you to this MP, otherwise nobody would have ever heard of him and his CD.

He shouldn't be tried in my opinion, as far as I know we still have freedom of speech in this country. The UMP people (sooooooooo conservative but hopefully we'll get rid of them next year) weren't so shocked about the Mahomet cartoons....

Phil
Old 06-04-2006, 07:48 AM
one lucky woman

I'm sure DeGaulle and Napoleon don't much care WHAT this guy says.

Diamond: a lump of coal that did well under pressure
Old 06-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Super Duper Admin
Donation Award 

Exactly what I was thinking. I agree Phil... he can say thanks to them for getting his music out there. Prehaps he did this CD to make sure he caused a stir to get himself noticed. That is really clever in my eyes.

PTO Administrator
Old 12-10-2011, 04:48 PM

I am conservative myself and while I certainly would not like hearing my own country USA get dissed in music, I am however a believer in free speech and istead of demanding he be jailed for this, why not demand a boycott, after all when The Dixie Chicks bashed Bush, loads of angry people destroyed CDs (including me), of those those ladies were never banned from selling their CDs as they still had fans, since well some people still liked their music anyways.

And of course if one still wanted to buy their CDs, it's perfectly legal to do so.

Do I buy anything from Dixie Chicks? not anymore since what happened and their reaction to the people that booed them for it (such as provoking booing), and no law says I have to like them, but no law says anyone has to dislike them either.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:44 AM

Just like Pussy Riot in Russia. Too much political accusations these days