Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > European Prison & Criminal Justice Topics
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

European Prison & Criminal Justice Topics Prison, Jail and Criminal Justice discussions in relation to European countries.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:53 AM

Default Greece

Does anyone else here have a relative locked up in Greece? My son was arrested in Athens last week. He's currently being held at Athens Police HQ and is to be transferred to a remand centre, but there is a prison guard strike, so they can't move him yet. Until they do, I can't visit, can't send him anything other than letters, and he hasn't been able to phone me. I know absolutely nothing about what he's been accused of or the circumstances of his arrest. The Foreign Office have told me what little they can, and I'm in touch with Prisoners Abroad, but their activities are limited. I've been given a quote by a lawyer, but I don't know if this amount is normal or not. The whole thing just seems to be completely lacking in terms of direct information from the people who know where he is, how he is, and what (if anything) we can do to help him. I'd appreciate any information from anyone who has had experience of the Greek system. What little I've been told and have read is absolutely dire.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2013, 10:12 PM

have there been any developments since your post? I have no experience in greek prisons but have visited the country and have many friends that speak the language with relatives there. what was the quote you received? I can help you gauge its propriety...