Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Lost in the System
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Lost in the System Are you having problems locating someone in jail or prison? Place your missing person ad in this forum, as well as find out what resources & techniques others are using to find loved ones in the system.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:27 AM

Default Assistance Needed locating california inmate -Patton State Hospital

Hi. I am posting this here in hopes that someone here may be able to assist me with locating an inmate (Michael Allen Watkins aka Michael Watkins) in California who was arrested in Los Angeles county in December 2008 and was court ruled as being incompetant to stand trial in 2010. The most recent info I've been able to find was a news paper article that reported the incompetant ruling and that he was set to go to Patton State Hospital.( that was back in 2010) I tried doing a recent LASD inmate search and now he doesn't even show in as being in the system. Nor does he show up on the Vine Link (for victims etc) website. Why would something like this occur? Does this mean he is no longer in the system? As in they released him? Please my family would appreciate the assistance in locating any information update possible on this guy. He was arrested for the murder of a very dear family friend of mine, and we just want to make sure that he is still incarcerated as their have been a recent string of weird things on just recently and we just want to know that he is still
Locked up. This is a the info I have . I wish I would have saved his booking number back when he was showing up on lasd.con or his d.o.b. , however I don't have that info. Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can give.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2017, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 4,558 Times in 2,407 Posts

You may be better off calling the prosecutors office.

If he was found incompetent to stand trial and was hospitalized, that means he is most likely still in a hospital and not prison or jail. And as you should know, hospital informatin is not public. If he hasn't been found competent to stand trial, there isn't a finding of guilt or innocence so he won't be in the jail or prison system as an inmate.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:15 PM

Ok cause he was in the system when he was arrested back in 2008. And then when I checked again back in 2010. However now, he doesn't come up at all in their system. So I guess that makes sense if he is in the hospital. And I understand the privacy issues with finding info if that's where he is at. However, the reason we are seeking this info is just recently some very strange things have happened, (the victim - a dear family friend of my family- had horses that he had threatened to harm back before he arrested for our friends death. After she died the horses were rehomed all going seperate ways.this was back in the end of 2008. Now just this year back in June, 2 of these horses suddenly dropped dead days apart from each other. In both cases vets had no explained cause of death that they could find without having to do a toxicology report(which is extremely expensive to do, but shows that the suspicion of them being poisoned was a good possibility. Both horses were known to be healthy at the time and not housed together or currently owned by the same people. and it makes us wander if by some chance they released him .
Old 01-02-2017, 12:19 PM

So if he is in hospital then that makes him not an inmate?so then like it's as if he is getting away with what he did? I don't understand how they could have even found him incompetant as he made threats for months leading up to the day he killed her. They had found that her door locks had been ripped outsmart a restraint order that had been placed on him.he made threats then followed through with those threats. Doesn't sound like he was incompetant to me. Maybe more along the lines of the courts being incompetant to do their jobs and lock up the bad guys
Old 01-02-2017, 01:14 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,840 Times in 13,063 Posts

Perhaps call Victim Advocacy, or whatever its called in that state.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:07 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 16,278 Times in 9,847 Posts

My understanding is that he will be civilly committed to a psychiatric facility until (if ever?) he is found to be competent to stand trial. Then he should be returned to the criminal justice system to face the charges. If he continues to be incompetent, he should remain civilly committed forever.

The LA or CA prosecutors will know where he is.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:00 AM

Ok good. So there's no way they would just let him out. Im relieved with that answer. Thank you fbopnomore .
The Following User Says Thank You to Misskitty818 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 12:14 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 16,278 Times in 9,847 Posts

Since it is so important to know that he is still being held securely in a prison or in a hospital, my advice is to keep trying until you receive a definite answer from someone in authority from the California criminal prosecution system, prosecutor, judge, whatever.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:48 PM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,952 Times in 1,265 Posts

Okay, just to clarify, if you are housed at Patton State Hospital, you're housed just as securely as if you were in a prison. It's a lock-down facility, closely monitored, and while patients are not technically considered "inmates," the standard of security is as good as if not better than a state prison.

It is not possible to verify that he is at Patton State Hospital. He will not appear on any Inmate Locator. Because of the time passing since commitment he won't show up in any of the County/State locators either, including VINE.

There are two sources of information you can look into here. The first is, the case itself. There should be a record of all minutes and actions. That will be able to confirm whether or not he was committed indefinitely and whether or not there are ongoing progress reports. If you have the case number and the case was in Los Angeles County you may be able to see if there are continuing actions on the case by going to the L.A. County Superior Court's Criminal Case Information page here: http://www.lacourt.org/criminalcasesummary/ui/ this will verify the location of the case and you can then go to the court to get any needed court minutes and research further.

You can also check with the DA's office in regards to the case as well as they may be able to inform you on the status and whether or not he was released. While you are not directly the victim, it sounds like someone may be of such a status that they would qualify for victim notification in regards to this case and the DA can determine who that person or those people is/are and what information they can release in regards to where Mr. Watkins is now.

It is possible for Mr. Watkins to have been released from state hospital custody, but the goal of the state hospitals is to rehabilitate and make patients competent to stand trial. If that doesn't happen, then typically they continue to be housed in some sort of lockdown facility until either they become competent or such a time has passed that would be in excess of their maximium possible sentence (at which time they'd likely be placed in another lockdown-type facility or placed in a community placement.)

I suppose there is a chance he could have been released, but given the nature of his crime and the severity of mental illness necessary to avoid prosecution, it seems unlikely.

I hope that you get an answer to this question. If he was released and he is at-fault, then poisoning animals is another crime all together.
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
Old 01-04-2017, 05:19 PM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,952 Times in 1,265 Posts

Potential issue: it appears if competence is not restored within 3 years that a conservator is appointed. It is not clear what this means for the inmate/defendant's housing situation.

http://www.shouselaw.com/competency-stand-trial.html

Specifically this portion: If the defendant does not regain competence

In some cases, the report from the treating facility will state that they do not expect the defendant to ever regain competence. Or in some cases competence will not be restored in a reasonable period of time-defined for these purposes as three (3) years if the defendant is charged with a felony, one (1) year if s/he is charged with a misdemeanor, or the maximum prison sentence for the most serious crime charged (if it's shorter than those periods). 51

If this happens, then the defendant goes back to court for what are called conservatorship proceedings. 52 This means that the judge will appoint a person or organization to care for and make decisions for the defendant, who is assumed to be unable to look after his/her own interests.
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
Old 02-05-2017, 04:33 PM

So what exactly does that mean? He could be out? Does that mean that is a possibility that maybe he is out and maybe * Email * have been able to do something like this? What does it mean conservatorship ? Like who would be qualified to do that? Is that something a family member can be ? Or is it like a facility of some kind.!?
Old 02-08-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misskitty818 View Post
Hi. I am posting this here in hopes that someone here may be able to assist me with locating an inmate (Michael Allen Watkins aka Michael Watkins) in California who was arrested in Los Angeles county in December 2008 and was court ruled as being incompetant to stand trial in 2010. The most recent info I've been able to find was a news paper article that reported the incompetant ruling and that he was set to go to Patton State Hospital.( that was back in 2010) I tried doing a recent LASD inmate search and now he doesn't even show in as being in the system. Nor does he show up on the Vine Link (for victims etc) website. Why would something like this occur? Does this mean he is no longer in the system? As in they released him? Please my family would appreciate the assistance in locating any information update possible on this guy. He was arrested for the murder of a very dear family friend of mine, and we just want to make sure that he is still incarcerated as their have been a recent string of weird things on just recently and we just want to know that he is still
Locked up. This is a the info I have . I wish I would have saved his booking number back when he was showing up on lasd.con or his d.o.b. , however I don't have that info. Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can give.
http://www.dsh.ca.gov/docs/CONREP_STRP_RFI.pdf

Maybe this will help? HIs approximate age is 37, based on the fact that he was 28 when the murder occurred.
The Following User Says Thank You to poolside For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-08-2017)