Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:16 AM

Default How can I get an ID/D.L.? Possible 15 year old warrants after mental illnes

How can I get a new state ID or driver's license with 15 year old possible warrants, possibly federal warrants?

I haven't had an ID or driver's license in over 5 years, and live in poverty. And fear. It's been extremely hard to get around / drive, find a job, etc.

In 2003, possible white collar crimes resulting $5000 or < in financial loss. I fear I might have warrants, possibly federal.

I've NEVER been charged, told of investigations, interrogated, arrested, etc. Nothing. No prior criminal past at all before or after 2003.

15 years ago, I was a dumb mentally ill teenager who screwed up after going manic. Long-story short, discovered I was bipolar and went manic as hell. I felt invincible and had all the usual symptoms of mania, but never was treated/hospitalized. It was scary. I got financially desperate, suicidal, invincible, and all of the scary things that come with bipolar depression in 2003. Also have autism spectrum/aspergers, OCD, ADD, depression, anxiety, bad mood swings, and just had/have a rough time that I let ruin my life and lead me to crime in 2003 or so.

I was never arrested, interrogated, informed of an investigation, etc. from the 2003 crime times.
But, I fear I have some warrants out there from 2003.
Possibly federal warrants.

I fear I was investigated over the years.
I noticed some possible investigation activity around 2007 and 2010. No formal contact was ever made to me. No search warrants, etc. either.

In 2007, I was pulled over for speeding so the officer ran my ID as part of that I'm guessing. Another time in 2007 I had a car accident- another officer, another ID run as part of that.

I traveled internationally in 2005 or 2006. I had an existing passport- did not have to apply for one or renew one- and traveled internationally fine.

Since 2003 crimes, I've never done anything sense. I've gone back to school to get an education, tried to advance my career, get mentally well and not become manic as hell again, stay out of trouble, etc.

I lived in the same city as the 2003 crime time for almost long enough to be the statute of limitations, a matter of months away. I lived a reasonably public life, same employer/apartment/etc. for years and participated in civic organizations. I relocated for education and lived in the same place again for years, a reasonably public life. I file taxes and my tax info has always had my current info on it. I've never heard anything from LEO or investigators, and figure I would have by now.

I have no ID, and can't legally drive. This is making it very hard to have a decent career. I also can't get the federally controlled prescription medication that I need for my mental and physical health at times either.

Like I said, no LEO has ever interrogated, interviewed, arrested, etc. me. I looked up warrants in PACER and every city I've lived in and all clear. In 2007 when I got pulled over for speeding and a second time in 2007 for a car accident, the officers ran my license both times and I was never arrested or told of any warrants.

I'm pretty sure the local PD or FBI field office would think I was completely insane if I showed up and asked them to warrant search me now. That, or that wouldn't be procedure and they couldn't help.

I can't afford a lawyer. I have no way to borrow money/finance a lawyer. My city has no legal aid/public defenders unless you have already been charged with a crime. There are no free law schools/charities clinics here. I can't get a public defender since I haven't been charged with a crime. I have no way to borrow $. I'm on my own.

I'm well over 30 now, and still paying for the mistakes I made as a teenager. I can't legally drive, can't show my current ID to potential employers/doctors, can't travel international for work, etc.
How can I get an ID without being arrested without being prepared? What should I do? How can I move on with my life?

How do I know if I have any warrants, will serve time, etc.?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2018, 05:24 AM

Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,790 Posts

If your info was ran at those times durring during an accident and traffic stop and nothing showed up the why do you think you have warrants. I would guess your only option would be just go and apply to get one. Can you call the police dept and give them your info and ask them if you have warrants. I know you can in certain states like Indiana.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:37 AM

I believe I was investigated after those 2007 traffic stops, with the investigating being late 2007 and perhaps once in 2010.

My city PD would not talk to me over the phone. I also don't want to go to a PD and say "run my information please" without a lawyer or any idea if I'm looking at prison time or not. I have no way to get a lawyer anytime soon. It'll take 1-2 years to save up for that, and I'm not qualified/able to borrow money for a lawyer before then.

The city police running my license for traffic violations in 2007 might not have had access to my potential federal warrants either.

I don't really want to go gamble it to get either 1) an ID or 2) arrested without representation in city jail without representation and waiting for the feds to extradite to federal prison.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:31 AM

well in that case I think your out of options until you can afford a lawyer. I have no idea what else you can do. Maybe someone else will have some ideas for you. Until the good luck with everything.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:34 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,735 Times in 12,043 Posts

There are pretty extensive criminal records checks available on the internet, so I would query a couple of those. As many times as you have interacted with the police in traffic stops, I'm pretty sure they would have caught any outstanding warrants.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:58 AM
Beach Girl

If you had warrants you would have been notified AND arrested each time an officer ran your name/information. Also, typically, you would have been stopped at the gate if trying to leave the country (and in a lot of cases, even the gate).
You can easily call and ask an officer if you have a warrant or not. You can probably even call the county court house. (Assuming all states are the same, they want you to know you have a warrant so you can know and potentially turn yourself in.)
If arrested, a lawyer can be appointed to you if you’re indigent.

Good luck.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:14 AM

Thanked 5,975 Times in 3,113 Posts

Just go get a valid ID, then worry about what if's of a warrant.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Just go get a valid ID, then worry about what if's of a warrant.
If he goes to get an ID they will run his name.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:03 PM

Thanked 5,975 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl17 View Post
If he goes to get an ID they will run his name.
I had a warrant from a old case and for years never knew I was always able to get a license and a ID Card. I only found out about old warrant by chance not by getting ID.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 5,773 Times in 2,896 Posts

If you want to drive, get a license.
If you don't want to drive, don't get a license.

You live in the US so at some point you will need some form of ID.

Without an ID or DL, there are still plenty of ways for law enforcement to track you down if they really wanted to find you.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass4221 View Post
If you want to drive, get a license.
If you don't want to drive, don't get a license.

You live in the US so at some point you will need some form of ID.

Without an ID or DL, there are still plenty of ways for law enforcement to track you down if they really wanted to find you.
I can't drive if in prison though.

I've got a family to think about, as well as a career and mental health to think about.

Going to the DMV to get a DL without knowing what my chances of arrest/jail for years are with no lawyer aren't something I can easily gamble.

Long-term, in 1-2 years or less, I hope to have saved up enough for a lawyer who can properly check on any possible warrants for me. I don't have that option yet.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
I had a warrant from a old case and for years never knew I was always able to get a license and a ID Card. I only found out about old warrant by chance not by getting ID.
Thanks, that's what I was wondering.

A DL would help me get a better job and save transit costs, which would help me save up quicker for a lawyer to really see what my legal situation is.

I figured I would've heard about warrants by now if I'd had any.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissStar View Post
If you had warrants you would have been notified AND arrested each time an officer ran your name/information. Also, typically, you would have been stopped at the gate if trying to leave the country (and in a lot of cases, even the gate).
You can easily call and ask an officer if you have a warrant or not. You can probably even call the county court house. (Assuming all states are the same, they want you to know you have a warrant so you can know and potentially turn yourself in.)
Thanks. I figured my name would've come up in those 2007 traffic stops. Or when I traveled internationally in 2007 or 2006.

15 years and no trace of a warrant that I've found and int'l travel years ago makes me wonder if I'm clean after all.

If I call some random city PD, they could search for federal warrants too?

Would they then come hunt me down, then I get arrested, then get appointed a lawyer?
Old 01-15-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
There are pretty extensive criminal records checks available on the internet, so I would query a couple of those. As many times as you have interacted with the police in traffic stops, I'm pretty sure they would have caught any outstanding warrants.
Thanks, I'll have to look into more of those internet searches. I figured I would've been told in 2007 traffic stops had I had any warrants. Unless they were just pending investigations at that time? 4 years after crime time and just a pending investigation, no warrant?

Probably 10 years ago I used an online criminal records search that employers use and I was clean. I applied for a job that supposedly checked backgrounds and nothing came up. Same with 2 apartments I lived at that supposedly ran background checks at the city PD.

I've regularly looked at PACER and city warrant searches ever since.

I haven't renewed a driver's license in office since probably 2007 so it has been a while. Haven't gotten a new passport since 2003 either. Still, I've lived in the same apartments for years, same bank accounts, same phone numbers, same colleges, civically involved, and a public life. Won an award a time or two and was in local newspapers. I'm not hiding under a rock, but also not rocking the boat and going out and getting IDs/DLs. It just took me years to be healthy enough to be able to drive again, so I'd like a DL. It would save me a lot in transit fees, and I could save up for a proper lawyer in 1-2 years.

I would have thought those traffic stops in 2007 would've been arrests had I not been clean after all.

Late 2007 and 2010, I believe I might have been investigated.
I'm wondering if I wasn't on their books until 2007, even though 2003 was crime tmie. No contact was made with me for any possible investigation. Had they investigated me and actually written a warrant, wouldn't they have arrested me since they knew where I was/saw me back then?
Old 01-15-2018, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,756 Times in 11,061 Posts

The easiest thing to do is to look up the Federal statutes for your particular crime and see what the Statute of Limitations is on the crime. You haven't tried to flee or change your name or do anything else that law enforcement would describe as evading arrest, so if the statute of limitations is past, you're free as a bird. Most of them are just a few years, particularly for such a low amount.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:36 PM

Thanked 2,760 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepsonscrewdup View Post
I can't drive if in prison though.

I've got a family to think about, as well as a career and mental health to think about.

Going to the DMV to get a DL without knowing what my chances of arrest/jail for years are with no lawyer aren't something I can easily gamble.

Long-term, in 1-2 years or less, I hope to have saved up enough for a lawyer who can properly check on any possible warrants for me. I don't have that option yet.
This is just silly. If you have a family to take care just figure this out and grow up. Lawyers often do a free consultation and you don’t need to have an attorney on retainer to deal with this. A couple of hours with an attorney to find out how to see if your have warrants would be money well spent. Seems to me there is more stress trying to figure out if you might be arrested than it would be to just deal with it.

You need a valid, unexpired ID for employment so if you get fired or laid off you’ll have no choice but to get a new ID, drivers license or passport.

“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyS For This Useful Post:
MissStar (01-16-2018), MrsDeeKay (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
This is just silly. If you have a family to take care just figure this out and grow up. Lawyers often do a free consultation and you don’t need to have an attorney on retainer to deal with this. A couple of hours with an attorney to find out how to see if your have warrants would be money well spent. Seems to me there is more stress trying to figure out if you might be arrested than it would be to just deal with it.

Fearing prison for years isn't silly, it's normal. Especially with a family and without lawyers on hand. You also can't get those years that you spend in prison with your family back. And you have to figure out how to financially provide for them while you're in jail. You wouldn't be afraid of insta-pirson without a lawyer?

I have not heard of local lawyers that offered a free consultation in my city, but I'll look. The lawyers offices I've talked to wanted billable time, and that's not something I can afford working near-minimum wage while supporting a family.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
The easiest thing to do is to look up the Federal statutes for your particular crime and see what the Statute of Limitations is on the crime. You haven't tried to flee or change your name or do anything else that law enforcement would describe as evading arrest, so if the statute of limitations is past, you're free as a bird. Most of them are just a few years, particularly for such a low amount.

Thanks, it looks like everything is way, way out of the statute of limitations.

I just wonder if they would've filled an arrest warrant at some point a decade ago and never contacted me/arrested me/etc. as I lived a rather public life. I only moved once to another state and that was for college, possibly a few months shy of the state's SOL which could've screwed things up. I need to research the state's SOL more. After moving, I was easily searchable in public directories and credit reports. My family has a public life and has lived in the same house for many years, easily googleable. Perhaps the police filled warrants late 2007 after the early 2007 traffic stops took place so my info wasn't in the system yet- that's my fear here. Or that they just didn't tell me in 2007 for some reason like the investigation was pending. After over a decade though, surely I could've found some trace of warrants on the city warrant search, online court records, employment background checks, and PACER.

I do think I probably am clear and free as a bird. It's probably half guilt and half fear of what I might have done when manic that unnerves me.

I'm going to spend more time trying to research statute of limitations for federal and state, and try to timestamp my past history.

It does seem like I'm clear and worrying about nothing.

15 years is a long time, and I sure as hell am careful to never even potentially screw up again. I haven't had so much as even a spending ticket or library fine or risky behavior in 15 years.