Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:41 PM

Default Prison Protest

Florida prisoners are planning to go on strike beginning on MLK Day, 1/15/2018. They want better conditions and are getting organized. Let's support them! Protests will be held outside of the Reception and Medical Center in Lake Butler on 1/15/2018 at 3pm and outside DOC offices in Tallahassee the following day at 1pm. Other protests are being organized outside other facilities in various areas. If you are upset about the current state of the prison system and the way people are treated, both prisoner and staff, come lend your voice to a planned rally at a prison or organize your own at the facility your loved one is in. If you work at a prison, stay home that day. Let's send a message to DOC that things have got to change! For more info about the strike, known as "Operation Push", check out FightToxicPrisons.Org and IncarceratedWorkers.org. There are event pages on FB for the protest at RMC and others @ SPARC, Gainesville Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee, or Campaign to Fight Toxic Prisons. Hope to see you out there!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nomoreprisons For This Useful Post:
Minor activist (12-28-2017), Nickel Timer (01-01-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2017, 09:04 PM

I might suggest attempting to elicit some ideas from the former FSP warden who himself has opposed the manner in which the FLDOC treats its inmates and staff too. Ron McAndrew ... he even went so far as to bring down former Secretary James Crosby, who wound up doing federal prison time for his acts as FLDOC Secretary. Ron is a very valuable resource when it comes to the Florida prison system. You can contact him through his website: https://www.ronmcandrew.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to ConCraft For This Useful Post:
Minor activist (12-28-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 09:29 PM

Default TY

Thank you, I will! And feel free to spread the word about the strike, it's so rare that prisoners exercise their collective power. I'd love to see them get the support they need!
Old 12-27-2017, 09:37 PM

Ron is a good man. I know him personally. I've been invited to his home. I had lunch with him the day Crosby was sentenced to prison in Jacksonville.

As someone who served time, I never thought possible that I could ever become friends with a former prison warden, but Ron really is a good man.

A saying of his: People are sentenced to prison as punishment, not to be punished.

I'm sure he will be willing to share his thoughts with you.

Best of luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to ConCraft For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-28-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 09:49 PM

I don't live far from Tallahassee and would like to stand in on this rally just to hear what all is said. But my question is, what do prisoners do when they go on strike? Could this lead to SERIOUS violence?
Old 12-28-2017, 10:09 PM

Hello! When prisoners go on strike it can mean a variety of things - labor, hunger, boycotts... In this case it is a nonviolent labor strike and boycott of all products and programs that prison profiteers capitalize on. Because violence is perpetuated by prison staff and administration and prisoners are fed up and frustrated, there is always a potential for violence - that place breeds violence. If this movement becomes violent it will be because guards introduce it.

The rally in Tallahassee will be the day after the strike is set to begin and it will happen before a speaking event that Angela Davis, longtime prison activist, will be headlining. There are event pages on sparc, gainesville iwoc, and campaign to fight toxic prisons facebook pages for both the protest at RMC on the 15th and the rally at DOC offices on the 16th.

It would be great to have help spreading the word among prisoner families, if you think you'd be interested in that...
The Following User Says Thank You to nomoreprisons For This Useful Post:
prettytomboi (12-28-2017)
Old 01-01-2018, 05:38 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoreprisons View Post
Hello! When prisoners go on strike it can mean a variety of things - labor, hunger, boycotts... In this case it is a nonviolent labor strike and boycott of all products and programs that prison profiteers capitalize on. Because violence is perpetuated by prison staff and administration and prisoners are fed up and frustrated, there is always a potential for violence - that place breeds violence. If this movement becomes violent it will be because guards introduce it.

I'm not disagreeing you you totally. You make it sound like there are not any violent prisoners.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:20 PM

Thanked 10,065 Times in 5,621 Posts

Lost in all of these discussions are the disciplinary repercussions for those that choose to refuse to work, even if only for one day. Most will back out when they realize their freedom is jeopardized by participation in such an event...
Old 01-01-2018, 08:56 PM
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,193 Times in 880 Posts

It's definitely a tall-order achieving a true general strike inside a prison complex.

The biggest weapon admin has at its disposal is to withhold hot meals from the population for the duration of the strike.

You see, without kitchen workers to help out, it will fall on the staff to prepare all the meals, which usually means cold sack-lunches for all.

With as much as they starve you already in there with just the basic hot meals, withholding even them can be a real test of character right there.

Here's hoping for solidarity though, that at least the Correctional Industries workers might be able to pull it off, and maybe get their voices heard to effect some real change down there in Florida.