Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, halfway houses, community service and electronic monitoring in Pennsylvania should be posted here.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:18 PM

Default Pennsylvania Parole and Probation Reform

Hi everyone. Do any of you know if the PA House and Senate have been working on HB 1555 or SB 14 for parole and probation reform? My boyfriend had his probation revoked due to a technical violation and a one new misdemeanor. He has to serve out the rest of his sentence in SCI. His first chance of parole will be 2/13/2021. If HB 1555 or SB 14 pass, will he be able to appeal his sentence even though he got a new misdemeanor while probation? I'm praying for these reform bills to pass... not just for my boyfriend but for so many others who are stuck in the revolving door of prison/parole.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2019, 05:49 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,821 Times in 13,132 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. I hope you get answers from folks who know.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:16 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,285 Posts

Welcome.

SB 14 and related bills would not affect your boyfriend very much. Your boyfriend's new charge is separate and the sentence was likely enhanced because he was on probation at the time. Nothing in that case would change. It is possible that the amount of time imposed for the technical probation violation could be affected if it was specifically delineated in the re-sentencing, which is often not the case.

The aim of this legislation -- and the key to it's possible success -- is the focus on those who ONLY commit technical infractions. Any hint that those who commit new crimes would somehow reap a benefit is sure to reduce the chances of passage.
fbopnomore (11-03-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 08:04 AM

Thank you for the information. He was given time served for the new misdemeanor, which was in another county and it ran concurrently to the probation violation he is currently in for. After a lot of reading last evening, I may have found something hopeful. In HB1555 it says any new misdemeanor while on probation will carry a max sentence of 90 days. Also, there is no mention that he can't appeal his sentencing because of the new misdemeanor with that bill (if I read it correctly). I hope he will be able to appeal his sentence if HB1555 passes.