Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Asia and Pacific Prison & Criminal Justice Topics
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Asia and Pacific Prison & Criminal Justice Topics Discussions and Information about Asia and Pacific-region Prisons, Jails, the Criminal Justice System, etc.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:45 PM

Unhappy Tokyo prison?

hi, my boyfriend is in tokyo fuchu prison he is sentanced to 2 1/2 years. i only get letters which i know are translated and im in the uk now and cant afford to visit. i just wanted more info on what its like in there, we have a baby together and i am worried about what it is like. what are the attitudes to race there? he is black and i heard they can be rasist but i also heard its ok and not that bad, anyone know??
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2010, 10:41 PM

Hey Mandelady, I was in Fuchu for nearly 4 years in the early 90's. If he keeps his head down he will be okay. It's a mad prison and serious lock
down but he should physically get through it. He will be in the Gaijin han section and there are many other black people in there - americans from okinawa mostly. So he will be okay with that. The Japanese guards in there are racist against anyone not Japanese but mostly there are just kids. Don't worry too much he will physically be okay. Mentally is a different story - my main thing to tell you is to tell him to relax and don't fight the system in there. They will mess you up if you go against them. So just so Hai, Hai all he time and do what they say and things go smoother. As for the visits and the letters - honestly you can't change it - just tell him you're cool and he will be cool okay. Don't stress on it too much, it's not like Peru or something where you have to battle with knives every day. In there it's just mental stuff and all the gaijin look after each other. So he will have friends. So relax it will all be over soon.
One thing - just keep sending him letters - it means a lot in there because it's very solitary and no talking, so a letter from home is great. Keep strong and it will all be cool. Trust me, I did it. Tell him not to freak out. Also they do have good books in the library and you can bribe the indian guards so that you can keep them in your cell for more than the 2 week limit. Also in the winter you get mad frostbite so make sure he has extra clothes that he can buy with his own money if you send him - you need that. Take care.
The Following User Says Thank You to genki For This Useful Post:
Rachel (11-01-2010)
Old 10-22-2010, 10:43 PM

Don't write anything in the letters - they read everything and they know when you do the code stuff so they will just withhold the letter and he will think you didn't write him.

Also the american embassy people are very nice if he's american, the english embassy are shite.
The Following User Says Thank You to genki For This Useful Post:
Rachel (11-01-2010)
Old 11-01-2010, 03:26 PM

thanks for the relpy, i keep righting every week, sometimes more. he always writes positive stuff and i think he is just going along with whatever happens so thats good. I'm english and he's ugandan so my embassy cant do anything and his dont seam that bothered. all i can do is sit and wait. i feel much calmer bout the situation now anyway thanks xxx
Old 06-21-2013, 12:53 AM

I hope he gets out soon, its bad to go to jail in a foreign country, I got nabbed too when I was in China so mentally I understand how he feels, you should write more to him, letters are very important for a person in prison.