Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Asia and Pacific Prison & Criminal Justice Topics
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Asia and Pacific Prison & Criminal Justice Topics Discussions and Information about Asia and Pacific-region Prisons, Jails, the Criminal Justice System, etc.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Busy Dizzy Admin
Donation Award 

Thanked 21,590 Times in 5,574 Posts
Default Taiwan - Young offenders' odyssey puts them on the right track

Despite their different callings, the Rev. Huang Ming-chen and juvenile parole officer Lu Su-wei share a common passion for helping others and a strong belief in the power of love to reform. Together, the two men organized a wondrous journey of redemption for a collection of wayward young souls.

In the summer of 2006, a group of youths from troubled backgrounds in Taiwan accomplished a remarkable feat by undertaking a 1,000-kilometer trip around the island on unicycles.

Through the voyage intertwined with tears, love and courage, the film led its audience to witness how the wounds of these young broken hearts were healed in the process. The stars of the film had all been placed in the Faith, Hope and Love Youth Academy in Kwangfu, Hualien County in eastern Taiwan. The center serves as a shelter and reform facility for some 50 children and teenagers who are minor offenders, runaways or victims of domestic violence.

Read the full and very moving story here - Taiwan Journal
Old 03-24-2012, 04:57 PM

Many great programs are taking place in Taiwan'sjuvenile detention centers and as a former inmate I can assure you that, accodring to my experience, someone rarely goes back.. of course it is the sock they try to give you too and the fact that many of the juveniles are held for minor offences (like my case) and not for serious ones
The Following User Says Thank You to chris7cn For This Useful Post:
Rachel (03-25-2012)
Old 05-07-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris7cn View Post
Many great programs are taking place in Taiwan'sjuvenile detention centers and as a former inmate I can assure you that, accodring to my experience, someone rarely goes back.. of course it is the sock they try to give you too and the fact that many of the juveniles are held for minor offences (like my case) and not for serious ones
I believe Taiwan's prisons are more humane than China's prison, in the Chinese detention center, detainees for serious and minor offenses are put together and overcrowding is a serious problem.