Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 07-12-2017, 09:30 PM

Default Injured in prison - Relief for back pain

My boyfriend is located at Fulham Correctional Cenre in Melbourne, Australia.

I received a call from him last night informing me that he's injured his back (in between his grumpy and down attitude it sounds self inflicted from exercise and/or is possibly a pinched nerve or strained muscle) I was wondering what kind of pain relief is he entitled to? Am I able to contact someone for a stronger dose?

Honestly, he's a bit of sook and doesn't deal with pain well at all. He's apparently stayed in the prison hospital for the past two nights.

But basically just wondered what basic health care or pain relief can he obtain? He told me that they haven't given him much for it and I can tell he's struggling. I'm sure the pain will subside in a few days to a week but I know his mood will serverly be affected on how he will be feeling and ultimately we all know that will affect those he communicates and converses with me (me and his family)

Just after some general advice

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to khharris For This Useful Post:
Amy_au (07-12-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2017, 10:03 PM

Thanked 1,131 Times in 741 Posts

I hope he's able to find relief. I know here in michigan they won't do much for back pain as far as meds go. Hope your state is better.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 26,634 Times in 9,712 Posts

Postural relief is probably going to be his best bet. If you have a fuller description of the exact location andthe type of pain (stabbing, throbbing, dull ache, etc.) look up a few yoga postures or positions that might help him along.
jadah (07-16-2017), miamac (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 05:07 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 16,615 Times in 10,046 Posts

It will depend on the Australian prison's policies, or their prescription formulary. Here ares two articles from the Australian Prescriber that explain what he will be up against,
https://www.nps.org.au/australian-pr...e-in-custody-5

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4657313/

In US federal prisons pain medications are limited to over the counter meds except in a hospital setting, which did not include the federal medical center pseudo hospitals. bop prisoners don't have pain, and anyone who says they do is only "drug seeking".
Old 07-13-2017, 07:07 AM

Thanked 9,201 Times in 5,275 Posts

Do not anticipate anything stronger than OTC Ibuprofen. Few agencies will prescribe any of the good painkillers, primarily because most contain ingredients conducive to abuse.

If there is a muscle pull that is ultimately diagnosed, then he might get whatever the current equivalent to Flexeril or similar medications happens to be.
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
His_Queen13 (07-13-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 05:43 AM

Update:

I got to see him on Saturday. He's definitely strained something and he was limping and he used me for support when we walked around outside. He struggled to sit comfortable for long periods so he was constantly changing his position.

I offered multiple times to go home early before our visit was up so he could go get more pain relief but he said that seeing me helped him immensely. I held him, I held his hands and told him how much I loved him and that these visits and what get me through to the next one or the next time he calls.

I found out that they are giving him pain relief but they're only giving him 1 tablet instead of a normal recommended dose of 1-2 like it says on a packet of pain relief. He also told me that they tried acupuncture but he couldn't even feel the needles going in when they did it.

I hope he rested today and that next weekend when I see him that he's feeling better. Thank you all for your support and suggestions
Old 07-24-2017, 09:04 PM

My man is in a similar situation. He has a herniated disc. He is in NY and told me getting to see an actual Dr is a process and by the time he decides to try and go that route his back gets somewhat better. He had a broken foot and got zero pain meds so he is hoping they recognize this and at least give him a shot of something non narcotic. The medical care is so third world and we are not use to it.