Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > GREEN HAVEN HUB - NY DOCS
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GREEN HAVEN HUB - NY DOCS New York State Prisons & Institutions located inside the GREEN HAVEN HUB - Green Haven, Downstate, Fishkill, Beacon, Taconic, Bedford Hills.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:34 AM

Unhappy Issues sending cassette tapes to Green Haven Correctional Facility

Hopefully someone can give me advice on an issue I am having sending a cassette tape to Green Haven Correctional Facility. I sent a cassette tape by purchasing it through an approved vendor. The cassette is commercially made, sealed, has no screws, and was sent directly by the retailer. When the mailroom received the package, they called him down and said they could not give it to him because it is "bootleg." It is simply not bootleg music; the vendor has every legal right to distribute the cassette. I believe that perhaps because it is new music, they might think it's bootleg. I would never send or order a cassette tape without confirming it could not be considered contraband. Instead of sending it back, he asked for it to be reviewed (I am not sure what the terminology is). He called me today, explaining what happened. We decided I should call to explain the details of the cassette hoping it would be approved. When I called I was told the only option is for the inmate to request that it be re-reviewed, which he has already done. I was told by several people that I cannot discuss the details of the package with anyone and that the inmate would have to request it himself.

If it is rejected, is there any suggestion on how I can send this approved cassette to my loved one? Does anyone know a reason why they would not allow it or follow NY DOC policy on cassettes? I don't want to cause trouble, but I am also concerned that he is being sent packages that are incorrectly deemed contraband.

Thank you for any insight on this, even if you believe I should let it go.

Last edited by stonecoldbunny; 07-31-2017 at 12:01 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to stonecoldbunny For This Useful Post:
newtothis1230 (10-03-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2017, 03:50 PM

As you have been told, it's on him to pursue the grievance process, so he can have in writing the specific parameters regarding the cassette. Only he can do this. But that would be the way to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
stonecoldbunny (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
As you have been told, it's on him to pursue the grievance process, so he can have in writing the specific parameters regarding the cassette. Only he can do this. But that would be the way to go.
Thank you. It was ultimately denied.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:39 AM

Default Green Haven Correction Garbage This is an ongoing issue with this facility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecoldbunny View Post
Hopefully someone can give me advice on an issue I am having sending a cassette tape to Green Haven Correctional Facility. I sent a cassette tape by purchasing it through an approved vendor. The cassette is commercially made, sealed, has no screws, and was sent directly by the retailer. When the mailroom received the package, they called him down and said they could not give it to him because it is "bootleg." It is simply not bootleg music; the vendor has every legal right to distribute the cassette. I believe that perhaps because it is new music, they might think it's bootleg. I would never send or order a cassette tape without confirming it could not be considered contraband. Instead of sending it back, he asked for it to be reviewed (I am not sure what the terminology is). He called me today, explaining what happened. We decided I should call to explain the details of the cassette hoping it would be approved. When I called I was told the only option is for the inmate to request that it be re-reviewed, which he has already done. I was told by several people that I cannot discuss the details of the package with anyone and that the inmate would have to request it himself.

If it is rejected, is there any suggestion on how I can send this approved cassette to my loved one? Does anyone know a reason why they would not allow it or follow NY DOC policy on cassettes? I don't want to cause trouble, but I am also concerned that he is being sent packages that are incorrectly deemed contraband.

Thank you for any insight on this, even if you believe I should let it go.
You should not let it go! You need to write to the warden and Governor Cuomo about these incidents concerning your situation and concern! Stop letting these C/O make there own rules because they don't like an inmate or want to persuade people to thinking that these are the rules. The NYSDOC handbook states other. Use the power of the pen and make it happen
The Following User Says Thank You to JR92008 For This Useful Post:
stonecoldbunny (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR92008 View Post
You should not let it go! You need to write to the warden and Governor Cuomo about these incidents concerning your situation and concern! Stop letting these C/O make there own rules because they don't like an inmate or want to persuade people to thinking that these are the rules. The NYSDOC handbook states other. Use the power of the pen and make it happen
Thanks for your feedback. I eventually got a cassette tape through after being denied. It took a lot of persistence and calling.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:01 PM

Thanked 4,784 Times in 2,532 Posts

Quote:
Frankly this is not a big deal and I personally would never fight such a stupid cause. Try fighting for something worth it, like medical, decent food, real problems!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
ConCraft (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm sure both the warden and the Governor will immediately intercede. Hell, the President probably would too, if contacted.

Are you effen serious?