Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > GREEN HAVEN HUB - NY DOCS
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GREEN HAVEN HUB - NY DOCS New York State Prisons & Institutions located inside the GREEN HAVEN HUB - Green Haven, Downstate, Fishkill, Beacon, Taconic, Bedford Hills.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-31-2017, 11:34 AM
stonecoldbunny stonecoldbunny is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: DC, USA
Posts: 7
Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Unhappy Issues sending cassette tapes to Green Haven Correctional Facility

Hopefully someone can give me advice on an issue I am having sending a cassette tape to Green Haven Correctional Facility. I sent a cassette tape by purchasing it through an approved vendor. The cassette is commercially made, sealed, has no screws, and was sent directly by the retailer. When the mailroom received the package, they called him down and said they could not give it to him because it is "bootleg." It is simply not bootleg music; the vendor has every legal right to distribute the cassette. I believe that perhaps because it is new music, they might think it's bootleg. I would never send or order a cassette tape without confirming it could not be considered contraband. Instead of sending it back, he asked for it to be reviewed (I am not sure what the terminology is). He called me today, explaining what happened. We decided I should call to explain the details of the cassette hoping it would be approved. When I called I was told the only option is for the inmate to request that it be re-reviewed, which he has already done. I was told by several people that I cannot discuss the details of the package with anyone and that the inmate would have to request it himself.

If it is rejected, is there any suggestion on how I can send this approved cassette to my loved one? Does anyone know a reason why they would not allow it or follow NY DOC policy on cassettes? I don't want to cause trouble, but I am also concerned that he is being sent packages that are incorrectly deemed contraband.

Thank you for any insight on this, even if you believe I should let it go.

Last edited by stonecoldbunny; 07-31-2017 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stonecoldbunny For This Useful Post:
newtothis1230 (10-03-2017)
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 07-31-2017, 03:50 PM
Ms Sunny Ms Sunny is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 684
Thanks: 1,190
Thanked 542 Times in 267 Posts
Default

As you have been told, it's on him to pursue the grievance process, so he can have in writing the specific parameters regarding the cassette. Only he can do this. But that would be the way to go.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
stonecoldbunny (08-04-2017)
  #3  
Old 08-04-2017, 08:40 AM
stonecoldbunny stonecoldbunny is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: DC, USA
Posts: 7
Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
As you have been told, it's on him to pursue the grievance process, so he can have in writing the specific parameters regarding the cassette. Only he can do this. But that would be the way to go.
Thank you. It was ultimately denied.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-04-2018, 11:39 AM
JR92008 JR92008 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Bronx, New York
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Green Haven Correction Garbage This is an ongoing issue with this facility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecoldbunny View Post
Hopefully someone can give me advice on an issue I am having sending a cassette tape to Green Haven Correctional Facility. I sent a cassette tape by purchasing it through an approved vendor. The cassette is commercially made, sealed, has no screws, and was sent directly by the retailer. When the mailroom received the package, they called him down and said they could not give it to him because it is "bootleg." It is simply not bootleg music; the vendor has every legal right to distribute the cassette. I believe that perhaps because it is new music, they might think it's bootleg. I would never send or order a cassette tape without confirming it could not be considered contraband. Instead of sending it back, he asked for it to be reviewed (I am not sure what the terminology is). He called me today, explaining what happened. We decided I should call to explain the details of the cassette hoping it would be approved. When I called I was told the only option is for the inmate to request that it be re-reviewed, which he has already done. I was told by several people that I cannot discuss the details of the package with anyone and that the inmate would have to request it himself.

If it is rejected, is there any suggestion on how I can send this approved cassette to my loved one? Does anyone know a reason why they would not allow it or follow NY DOC policy on cassettes? I don't want to cause trouble, but I am also concerned that he is being sent packages that are incorrectly deemed contraband.

Thank you for any insight on this, even if you believe I should let it go.
You should not let it go! You need to write to the warden and Governor Cuomo about these incidents concerning your situation and concern! Stop letting these C/O make there own rules because they don't like an inmate or want to persuade people to thinking that these are the rules. The NYSDOC handbook states other. Use the power of the pen and make it happen
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JR92008 For This Useful Post:
stonecoldbunny (01-04-2018)
  #5  
Old 01-04-2018, 01:03 PM
stonecoldbunny stonecoldbunny is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: DC, USA
Posts: 7
Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR92008 View Post
You should not let it go! You need to write to the warden and Governor Cuomo about these incidents concerning your situation and concern! Stop letting these C/O make there own rules because they don't like an inmate or want to persuade people to thinking that these are the rules. The NYSDOC handbook states other. Use the power of the pen and make it happen
Thanks for your feedback. I eventually got a cassette tape through after being denied. It took a lot of persistence and calling.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-04-2018, 06:01 PM
xolady xolady is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2014
Location: highlands, florida
Posts: 4,851
Thanks: 9,275
Thanked 4,784 Times in 2,532 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR92008 View Post
You should not let it go! You need to write to the warden and Governor Cuomo about these incidents concerning your situation and concern! Stop letting these C/O make there own rules because they don't like an inmate or want to persuade people to thinking that these are the rules. The NYSDOC handbook states other. Use the power of the pen and make it happen
Frankly this is not a big deal and I personally would never fight such a stupid cause. Try fighting for something worth it, like medical, decent food, real problems!!!!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
ConCraft (01-09-2018)
  #7  
Old 01-09-2018, 06:01 PM
ConCraft ConCraft is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NY & FL
Posts: 104
Thanks: 16
Thanked 78 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR92008 View Post
You should not let it go! You need to write to the warden and Governor Cuomo about these incidents concerning your situation and concern! Stop letting these C/O make there own rules because they don't like an inmate or want to persuade people to thinking that these are the rules. The NYSDOC handbook states other. Use the power of the pen and make it happen
I'm sure both the warden and the Governor will immediately intercede. Hell, the President probably would too, if contacted.

Are you effen serious?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cassette, green haven correctional, mailroom

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transportation to Green Haven Correctional Facility Antsasia GREEN HAVEN HUB - NY DOCS 2 10-13-2015 05:35 PM
Sending Music Cassette tapes to Riverview Al Benett New York Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail 2 10-01-2015 10:44 PM
Van Services to Green Haven Correctional Facility KeyLime44 GREEN HAVEN HUB - NY DOCS 4 04-10-2010 10:24 AM
Ridiculous mail issues at Green Haven Queen*JW*25 GREEN HAVEN HUB - NY DOCS 1 10-06-2009 09:04 AM
Sending Cassette Tapes briansma Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat 8 08-02-2007 04:29 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:44 PM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics