Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Donation Award 

Default Child Support Payments From Inside ?

Does anyone have any experience or know if an inmate can make child support payments from inside ? My daughter in-law was told by the attorney generals office they can work inside and transfer funds to a childs account. My son left money for her before he went inside for the childs needs clothing, medical, daycare ect... the money will soon be gone and we would like to set it up by the law so he has no back payments when he gets out in 16 months. Any info would be helpful.
Brandons Mom
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Loving Life Now!!

As they don't have a way to make money, unless you're talking about money being taken out of his commisary account, it can't happen. If that was going to be the case, why not ask whoever was going to put commisary money on to just make the payment to his child support account? I don't know who was going to put money in an account for him, so that's why I say that.

Nance
Old 08-02-2007, 12:39 PM

First, Texas inmates do not get paid for any type of work unless they enter the P.I. program. They do get paid for their work and a withholding order can be set up for those inmates, in fact, the inmates owing child support take priority when being interviewed for the jobs.

If there is all ready an order out there ordering child support, it would need to be modified. If not, then it would be up to your daughter-in-law to fight to keep from anything coming due until after his release.

If you have any further questions, just send me a p.m.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Amy

I have custody of my husband's twins. There mom is suppose to pay me child support but she is in state jail for 18 months. The judge said it will stop while she is in prison and will start a month after she gets out. That is our conditions. We also have two kids of our own and I made sure that he wouldn't have a child support case.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:04 PM

You definitely need to have the child support order modified. Most judges WILL do this. Otherwise, there is a possibility that he will have warrant out for his arrest upon his release and in essence end right back in a county jail. Good luck!

Old 08-02-2007, 02:07 PM

Whether a judge will stop the child support is something that varies between counties and judges. In Tarrant, it is almost impossible to have the child support stopped during incarceration. It can be done, but the custodial parent pretty much has to request and demand it to be that way. Other counties stop it automatically. Tarrant's judges say, "The child still eats while they are incarcerated, he/she owes the money."

Good luck!

Old 08-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Loving Life Now!!

Williamson County is the same way Kerri. I feel so bad for my ex's ex-wife..she agreed to child support being lowered because his parents agreed to pay it..they made a couple of payments and quit. She gets nothing now and is of course raising their son on her own. He's going to owe LOADS when he gets home--I believe it's going to be in excess of $100,000 if he's there for the whole 15 years.

Nance
Old 08-03-2007, 05:03 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 4,176 Times in 2,585 Posts

Allowing child support to build up when a person is incarcerated makes no sense when you are in a state that pays $0.00 to offenders for the work they do. Another GOOD reason to pay offenders for their work!! I know their children still have needs! What a sad situation for the kids and for the dads who might love to be able to help out.

Help Desk

Super Moderator: Texas, Capital Punishment, Hurricanes, Visitation, Prison Evacuations, Parents With Children In Prison
Old 08-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Loving Life Now!!

It IS sad Katy. Brandon paid his child support no matter what when he was home. I couldn't afford to do it, being a "single" mom myself when he and I were married and he went in. I have 2 children myself. You are right..another reason they should at least pay the inmates SOMETHING.

Nance