Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSISSIPPI > Mississippi Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Mississippi Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Mississippi prison & criminal justice systems. This includes legislation & laws!

Old 08-29-2006, 10:10 AM
Don't Compromise Yourself

Default Article: Do 'child support' payments stop if child is in prison?

I have heard Tyler Edmonds mentioned a few times here and since this is dealing with him, I thought many of you would find this interesting.

August 29, 2006

Do 'child support' payments stop if child is in prison?

By Jack Elliott Jr.
The Associated Press

In recent weeks, the Mississippi Supreme Court has cited a "compelling argument" by a father wanting to either end or reduce child support payments for a minor serving a life sentence for murder.

Lawmakers might take notice of what was a hint from the Supreme Court that state law is vague on the issues raised by Danny Edmonds.

He said his son, Tyler Edmonds, no longer needs the $213 a month because the Mississippi Department of Corrections is providing food, shelter and clothing for the teen. Danny Edmonds has been making the payments to his ex-wife, Sharon Edmonds.

For the full article, click here.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:14 AM

Danny Edmonds is a low life. The only reason Tyler was over at his sisters house the night her husband was murdered was so he could see his father--who never would come and pick him up. Even if they DO make legislation against this, it'll be years from now. Tyler will be 21 in 4 years anyway. Looks like Danny is stuck paying for a little while.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:50 AM

I saw this in the paper today, and did find it very interesting. I noticed in the article that his mom was sending the bulk of the payment to Tyler's acount in prison anyway, or at least said she was. Regardless of how the child support case works out, I'm glad he's getting some money for canteen. I just feel so badly for him. No matter what he had to do with the murder, he's still only a boy not much older than my own son.