Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Georgia Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2005, 10:40 PM
nikichik's Avatar
nikichik nikichik is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: georgia
Posts: 216
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Question What happens to child support payments when he goes to prison?

my boyfriend of 3 years has been locked up since march ... he has a 2 year max sentence. he and his ex have a 9 year old daughter. i was just informed by friends of the ex that she is planning on getting child support for the little girl. i dont have kids so i have NO clue how this works. so maybe if yall can share some insight with me. right now the daughter doesnt even live with the mom shes staying with her grandma(moms mother) and has been there over a month. the ex has no place to stay no job and 2 other kids by another guy. i have no problem with us paying child support for her, but we choose not to give them money now cause it will only go to support the ex and bf's habit, not the daughter. so instead of giving them money i buy her other things, we gave them a washing machine when theirs broke, i bought all her school supplies and new school clothes, and last week i bought her a new pair of shoes and outfit and a bookbag, just because she needed them. Even thought my bf is locked up I still do alot for his daughter. i let her come stay with me every chance im off on the weekends and everything. i just want to know whats going ot happen with the child support thing. the daughters mother,the ex, seems to think that she will file for it now cause if he dont pay he will be on parole and she can have him sent back to jail. im just worried that when he comes home he will owe an outrageous amount and it will get our new life together started off on the wrong foot. any insight yall have on this kind of stuff will be helpful ...
also do you have to take a drug test of some sorts for this kind of stuff .... im not worried about my guy.. its the ex thats dirty...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Willssweetie Willssweetie is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 383
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Will was in a somewhat similar situation. I don't know all the details because I was not there but I do know that the judge mandated that while he is incarcerated he does not have to pay child support. If you haven't done so already I would start keeping receipts and keeping a log book of what you spend just in case. And in my opinion if the child is living with someone other than her mother than it should be the person who is caring for the child to get the money. If possible you may want to speak with a lawyer or a social worker. It seems the mother is not in the best situation right now to be caring for a child and you are making an effort to see to the child's welfare on behave of your boyfriend. All this needs to be documented because it will help you later on if you have to go to court. CYB(cover your butt).
Married to my soulmate on December 3, 2005.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:50 PM
David's Avatar
David David is offline
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 20,825
Thanks: 3,290
Thanked 7,698 Times in 1,576 Posts

Technically speaking, I don't think that you all will legally have to pay anything. I mean, he is locked up and it is he that would have been ordered to make payments. Once he gets out they will resume and he might even be ordered to cover back payments.
I do however think it is good of you to continue to look out for this little girl.. Sounds like her mother is not doing so hot if she needs or has to stay with the grandparents.. And if there are drugs involved, I'm sure that is better anyways..
"Too often ... people enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought" - Leapfrog
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:59 PM
betrayed_4_life betrayed_4_life is offline
amused MEMBER

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 2,648
Thanks: 0
Thanked 34 Times in 22 Posts

In Michigan if you prove to the Friend of the Court (they handle Child Support here) that you are incarcerated then they will suspend payments until you are released. However - they will not wash away back child support if you don't contact them when you first enter. I would call the people who handle CS in your state and let them know what your situation is. There may be something that can be sent to them - or you may try their website. Here is one I found. http://ocse.dhr.georgia.gov/portal/site/DHR-OCSE/

Here is a document that I found on this website dealing with this situation:

Hope this helps.

Last edited by betrayed_4_life; 10-21-2005 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:16 PM
haswtch haswtch is offline
one lucky woman

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ulster County, NY, USA
Posts: 10,954
Thanks: 158
Thanked 267 Times in 165 Posts

Yeah, talk to the child support authorities and explain your side- and somebody shoud talk to her and tell her that if she really wants the best for those kids (which even mothers with bad habits are not totally untouched by) she will NOT play games with his life right now. She will pray and hope and cheer him on to where he becomes such a success that the child support will be NO PROBLEM. But she needs to refrain from adding to his misery.
Save the receipts from the things you provide for the child, by the way- if she does "go legal" on him (kinda ike going postal) it may help.
"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."- Voltaire -
[François Marie Arouet] (1694-1778)

Diamond: a lump of coal that did well under pressure
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:44 AM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics