Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status All discussions relating to specific Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison units, Texas State Jails & Private prisons, and County Jails.

Old 03-30-2006, 09:16 PM

Default Bill Clements Unit, Amarillo, Texas - medical question

My husband is at Bill Clements unit Amarillo, Texas. he was diagnoised with Hepatitis C. he said the doctor there said there was no help for him, that his spleen and liver were enlarged and once his blood platets got low he would bleed to death. i called and talked to a nurse administrator and she said yes, he would get help, i wrote him and told him, he wrote back and said again the doctor said he would not get treatment there. Does anyone know who else i could call to get a straight answer about his diagnois ? I am 12 hours away from him and get there often to visit.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2006, 09:21 PM
Busy Dizzy Admin
Donation Award 

Thanked 21,564 Times in 5,562 Posts

I don't know who you can talk to about his diagnosis but there is a group called the Jeff Dicks Coalition that is interested in prisoners' medical welfare.

Also try the Texas Inmates Family Association for support and advice.

I hope that he gets the attention that he needs.

Rachel x
Old 03-30-2006, 09:52 PM

Thank You for that information, i am trying everything i know. thanks
Old 07-02-2009, 03:35 PM

Ok, I am currently on the inerferson treatment for hep c. This really works, I was diagnosed last october and in november started recieving a clean bill of health, so now i dont have it at all. This is a very serious treatment that he needs to start asap. I take one pegintron inerferon shot every friday, and every tuesday take a procrit shot ( due to anemia induced by the medicine). I also am on 2 different anti- depressents, sleeping pills, sedatives, and a pill called ribavarin that breaks down your platelett count (4 a day). There are laxatives i take, i now have medicine induced autritis, celebrex, imatrex for horrible light sensitive headaches, and vitmens. This will wreck your husbands (right??) immune system. I have already had a major infection due to no immune system, had staff in my ear, and have celluitis that measures in my muscle 3in X 2in, High fevers, ive lost 30lbs, throwing up, lack of appetite...you name it. I am telling you this because prison is already depressing as it is, and people have been known to committ suicide. Your best bet is getting in contact with a dr (within the prison or a dr that originally diagnosed the hep c in your husband) and asking them to moniter his week to week progress, and be able to do blood tests. I am 24 and literally feel about 70...........if i were you i would contact the dr that diagnosed him ( if its not the prison dr), have his doctor write a letter of medical neccessity to the prison warden stressing how important this treatment is to save his life. Ask that any correspondence be cc-ed to you for any types of lawsuits resulting in your husband's health rapidly declinig or the unthinkable( losing him altogether). Hopefully with the documentation from his outside doctors and the prison seeing the threat they are putting your husband in, they will change thier tune. If not call channel 8 and have them do a in depth investigation (seriouslly this works they dont want the public knowing about this). I hope some of the information i provided you will be of some assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc201 View Post
My husband is at Bill Clements unit Amarillo, Texas. he was diagnoised with Hepatitis C. he said the doctor there said there was no help for him, that his spleen and liver were enlarged and once his blood platets got low he would bleed to death. i called and talked to a nurse administrator and she said yes, he would get help, i wrote him and told him, he wrote back and said again the doctor said he would not get treatment there. Does anyone know who else i could call to get a straight answer about his diagnois ? I am 12 hours away from him and get there often to visit.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:23 PM

Mine is at Clements to also has Hep C. HE told me the same thing they will NOT treat them while incarcerated for it is to expense. Funny they contract it from there but they won't treat them ironic huh

I have heard the side effects are bad too from the treatment. At clements they have no been great about monitering his blood levels and a biopsy was never done so we are not sure where we stand on his blood levels. Medical is always a challenge to deal with.

I love you-I have loved you all along-And I miss you-Been far away for far too long-I keep dreaming you'll be with me and you'll never go
Stop breathing if I don't see you anymore - Nickelback Far Away

Last edited by Bchace74; 07-07-2009 at 12:25 PM..
Old 07-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,620 Times in 641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchace74 View Post
Mine is at Clements to also has Hep C. HE told me the same thing they will NOT treat them while incarcerated for it is to expense. Funny they contract it from there but they won't treat them ironic huh

I have heard the side effects are bad too from the treatment. At clements they have no been great about monitering his blood levels and a biopsy was never done so we are not sure where we stand on his blood levels. Medical is always a challenge to deal with.
I'm just curious, have you called the medical department at his unit and questioned why he wasn't being treated.

I know they do treat inmates for Hep C. I had a friend who went through the peginterferon/ribiviran treatment while in TDCJ. He would catch chain on Thursday be sent up to Lubbock, have his treatment and then chain back to his unit on Sunday (it was something like this). He did this once a month for several months. When the series of treatments were done he still had to go but less often. Medical was always testing and blood (looking at some cell count).

Maybe medical has determined that your husband's Hep C is not chronic and doesn't warrant treatment. I encourage you to not be shy about finding out why he isn't being treated.

Has your husband signed a medical release form that allows Medical to divulge his personal information to you? If he hasn't, I suggest you get him to sign on, because until he does by law, the medical department can not tell you any thing about him.

Good luck!
Karen

The Following User Says Thank You to karen For This Useful Post:
Bchace74 (07-11-2009)
Old 07-11-2009, 09:24 PM

Thanks Karen I will double check into this. Yes, I think he had told me that he is not bad enough for treatment.

I love you-I have loved you all along-And I miss you-Been far away for far too long-I keep dreaming you'll be with me and you'll never go
Stop breathing if I don't see you anymore - Nickelback Far Away