Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Account Closed

Angry $28 a call OMG please help me!

We had our first call last night. We decided that we would add it to our "constant letter campaign". Why oh why did we do that??? We enjoyed hearing each other so much. It was like music to my ears to hear his sweet voice. Well, before he called I had put $50 on the V-Connect account. They took out a fee and left us $42 to use for calls. I figured blindly that it would be enough for a few calls. Well, this morning I checked the account because I was curious about the cost of the call. I wanted to just drop dead on the spot. $28 and some change. I was screaming so loud that my neighbor came running to my rescue. She was like girl you need to find a cheaper way like yesterday or just keep on writing to him. She does not understand that it is not that simple now that I have heard his voice. Now, I am determined to find a way to hear it on a regular much more AFFORDABLE basis.

Does anyone know if I get a second cell with a local number to him in Monroe, Wa whether or not my NC address will make a difference with me setting up a V-Connect account online??? Or if I get a prepay cell? Please some help is much requested and greatly appreciated.

This all sucks because I told him to call back tonight before I saw that horrific call rate. Well if he gets through at least I can tell him to not call back until I have this all worked out. But, I do count my blessings because awhile ago I had to deal with GTL when talking with a friend who was incarcerated. So, despite this minor setback I am thankful for that blessing.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2010, 03:20 PM
waiting on my heart

There are a lot of people on here that swear by ConsCallHome . com

I believe you pay a monthly fee (depending on the minutes you want) and they will get you a local number to his prison and then forward that call to your current cell phone.

Once you have that new number call the service provider the prison uses for their prepaid accounts (I guess V-Connect...) and give them the number that is local to him. Then he calls that number which in turn calls you on your cell.

Something along those lines anyway. Check out the website or call them at 888-524-6151

Everyday is one day closer....

The Following User Says Thank You to anmyers For This Useful Post:
NC_Dragon (03-11-2010)
Old 03-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Account Closed

If they allow calls to cell phones or virtual numbers the cheapest would be magic Jack.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:30 PM
ahhh here we go again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Dragon View Post
We had our first call last night. We decided that we would add it to our "constant letter campaign". Why oh why did we do that??? We enjoyed hearing each other so much. It was like music to my ears to hear his sweet voice. Well, before he called I had put $50 on the V-Connect account. They took out a fee and left us $42 to use for calls. I figured blindly that it would be enough for a few calls. Well, this morning I checked the account because I was curious about the cost of the call. I wanted to just drop dead on the spot. $28 and some change. I was screaming so loud that my neighbor came running to my rescue. She was like girl you need to find a cheaper way like yesterday or just keep on writing to him. She does not understand that it is not that simple now that I have heard his voice. Now, I am determined to find a way to hear it on a regular much more AFFORDABLE basis.

Does anyone know if I get a second cell with a local number to him in Monroe, Wa whether or not my NC address will make a difference with me setting up a V-Connect account online??? Or if I get a prepay cell? Please some help is much requested and greatly appreciated.

This all sucks because I told him to call back tonight before I saw that horrific call rate. Well if he gets through at least I can tell him to not call back until I have this all worked out. But, I do count my blessings because awhile ago I had to deal with GTL when talking with a friend who was incarcerated. So, despite this minor setback I am thankful for that blessing.
you should be able to get a pay as you go phone and than, i believe, your able to request an area code and can get a new number that he can call.. that way it wont matter if your address and all that is for some place else.. you should try that. go to an ATT or T-MOBILE store and ask them about there pay-as-you go phones and if your able to request a number. if you have to tell them you need it for travel..blah blah you could suger coat it if they act like you cant. cause i member when i moved, i still wanted my old area code so i jus asked them for a number with my old area code and i got it.
good luck

Last edited by Missez Duncan; 03-11-2010 at 09:31 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Missez Duncan For This Useful Post:
NC_Dragon (03-12-2010)
Old 03-11-2010, 09:42 PM

You may wana try inmatecallsolutions.com and see if that will work for you. I am currently in washington and so is my bf but soon he will be transferred to idaho and I will be setting up an account thur this company so i can get "local" calls.

"Love is running into his arms, colliding with his heart, and exploding into his soul!"

The Following User Says Thank You to You'remyheart For This Useful Post:
NC_Dragon (03-12-2010)
Old 03-12-2010, 12:47 AM
Account Closed

If the calls will go thru a cell phone or a 3rd party company like suggested about, why have an extra bill??? Just get majgic Jack or Skype or another FREE virtual line.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:36 PM

Okay here is what I did today. I did a Search on Pre-Paid cell phone companies that had local area code and prefixes to the institution my PP is in (TRCI Oregon) I found that AT&T, Verizon, Net-10, Freedom Voice (Walmart phone) and Trac-phone. I then searched these to see what ones worked at my house, I live in a very Rural area with One tower. I narrowed it down to Three. AT&T Net-10 and Trac-phone, I then looked up their individual rates. At&T has a 60.00 Unlimited prepaid plan..But I already have 6 other Contract Family plans so they only person calling this phone would be my PP. They also had a 3.00 a day unlimited on the days you use the phone plus some other ones. Net-10 was 10Cents a min and Trac-phone said 10-c a minute but I didnt like how confusing they were with double your mins etc etc. I figured that the cheapest way for me to go was the At&T 3.00 on the day you use it phones. I figure it will run total about 5.00 a call or if he calls more than once that day it would 5.00 for the first call and 1.78 For each additional call

The Following User Says Thank You to Xellena For This Useful Post:
NC_Dragon (03-13-2010)
Old 03-14-2010, 01:35 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellena View Post
Okay here is what I did today. I did a Search on Pre-Paid cell phone companies that had local area code and prefixes to the institution my PP is in (TRCI Oregon) I found that AT&T, Verizon, Net-10, Freedom Voice (Walmart phone) and Trac-phone. I then searched these to see what ones worked at my house, I live in a very Rural area with One tower. I narrowed it down to Three. AT&T Net-10 and Trac-phone, I then looked up their individual rates. At&T has a 60.00 Unlimited prepaid plan..But I already have 6 other Contract Family plans so they only person calling this phone would be my PP. They also had a 3.00 a day unlimited on the days you use the phone plus some other ones. Net-10 was 10Cents a min and Trac-phone said 10-c a minute but I didnt like how confusing they were with double your mins etc etc. I figured that the cheapest way for me to go was the At&T 3.00 on the day you use it phones. I figure it will run total about 5.00 a call or if he calls more than once that day it would 5.00 for the first call and 1.78 For each additional call
If an inmate can make calls to cell phones then they can make calls to Magic Jack. Why dont you get one for $40 a year unlimited and go online and forward t he calls to your cell phone. You dont have to be online to be able to get the calls. Just a thought.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubana View Post
If an inmate can make calls to cell phones then they can make calls to Magic Jack. Why dont you get one for $40 a year unlimited and go online and forward t he calls to your cell phone. You dont have to be online to be able to get the calls. Just a thought.
Because of the area I live in. Magic Jack requires a highspeed connection and that is Unavailable where I live...I live in one of the largest counties in Wa yet we are the least poppulated...Whole county poppulation is like 4800. So the only internet avail to me is Dial up (whopping 16k connection) or wildblue or Hughes net...neither of which support any VOIP due to the delay in sending and receiving to a sattelite. Right now the internet on my computer is ran through my Blackberry (T-mobile) using it as a dial up modem..I average a 18-26k connection) Not exactly sure how Magic Jack works but if it is like Vonage or Skype you have to get a # then that # is forwarded to your "home/cell/etc" # From what I have discovered this is something that is frowned upon in oregon and can result in suspension of Phone. That is if there is even a local area code and PREFIX that would be local to the prison alot of the prisons in Oregon/ Wa are located in more Rural locations...Take TRCI for instance it is on the corner of Timbuktoooo and Hell...Nearest "big" Cities...to the North Tri-Cities Wa 2+ hours away..to the South Portland Or..189 miles...

Last edited by Xellena; 03-14-2010 at 01:55 AM..
Old 03-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
Because of the area I live in. Magic Jack requires a highspeed connection and that is Unavailable where I live...I live in one of the largest counties in Wa yet we are the least poppulated...Whole county poppulation is like 4800. So the only internet avail to me is Dial up (whopping 16k connection) or wildblue or Hughes net...neither of which support any VOIP due to the delay in sending and receiving to a sattelite. Right now the internet on my computer is ran through my Blackberry (T-mobile) using it as a dial up modem..I average a 18-26k connection) Not exactly sure how Magic Jack works but if it is like Vonage or Skype you have to get a # then that # is forwarded to your "home/cell/etc" # From what I have discovered this is something that is frowned upon in oregon and can result in suspension of Phone. That is if there is even a local area code and PREFIX that would be local to the prison alot of the prisons in Oregon/ Wa are located in more Rural locations...Take TRCI for instance it is on the corner of Timbuktoooo and Hell...Nearest "big" Cities...to the North Tri-Cities Wa 2+ hours away..to the South Portland Or..189 miles...
I have Vonage and Magic Jack, I have NEVEr used it with my computer, that's the greatest thing about it. All you need to do is get a number and use your online account to forward it to your cell or home phone. You really do not need to connect it to your computer. My vonage modem has never left the box it came in, it's still in an open box. There is NO WAY that they will know it's a forwarded line. In California it is not allowed either to forward calls, but when my husband calls the number it automatically rings on my cell . There is no way for them to know. They can only detect a 3 way call not a forwarded number. They say that so that no one does it. Just never speak about it over the phone.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubana View Post
I have Vonage and Magic Jack, I have NEVEr used it with my computer, that's the greatest thing about it. All you need to do is get a number and use your online account to forward it to your cell or home phone. You really do not need to connect it to your computer. My vonage modem has never left the box it came in, it's still in an open box. There is NO WAY that they will know it's a forwarded line. In California it is not allowed either to forward calls, but when my husband calls the number it automatically rings on my cell . There is no way for them to know. They can only detect a 3 way call not a forwarded number. They say that so that no one does it. Just never speak about it over the phone.
WoW! I love learning new information! Thank you! I honestly wouldve never thought that it didn't have to run through a computer...Because of the commercials I instantly assumed that was the only way you could use it. I will have to check and see if either have local area code and prefixes would def be a cheaper route to go...beats having to listen for 1 of now 7 phones to ring...If it would work there I would just give the Pre paid phone to my babysitter and put minutes on it as needed when she had my children lol

Old 03-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Account Closed

Thumbs up Thanks so much

Quote:
WoW! I love learning new information! Thank you! I honestly wouldve never thought that it didn't have to run through a computer...Because of the commercials I instantly assumed that was the only way you could use it. I will have to check and see if either have local area code and prefixes would def be a cheaper route to go...beats having to listen for 1 of now 7 phones to ring...If it would work there I would just give the Pre paid phone to my babysitter and put minutes on it as needed when she had my children lol
I assumed the same thing....I am so glad that I don't need to be connected to use it. I am going to get magic jack next week when I get paid...I will get to hear my baby again at an affordable rate....With magic jack we will be able to talk everyday...I have been going crazy with this issue...Thanks to all who offered help....
Old 03-14-2010, 06:36 PM

Default Say no to trac phone...

Just wanted to let you know that tracfones are BIG NO-NO! They are extremely expensive and it is so not worth it. T Mobile or Att would be the best bet money wise!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:32 PM

Yeah I kinda found Tracfone to be very expensive! I have a family plan with T-mobile Unlimited everything web data calls texts at it runs about 158.00 for Two phones...I have AT&T family plan with Two Iphones and two Solstice..Unlimited everything and it runs closer to 400.00 a month but I split that bill with a friend...I wish I couldve just changed my T-mobile line to a Umatilla Hermiston Prefix...but no such luck..They already have 541 area codes so now I have 5 phones in my house that are mine and when my friend and her husband are here which is ALOT that makes 7 cell phones lol ...I am going to pee myself the first time the Pre paid rings ...I hope i realize it is that phone and not just random background noise from the televison

Old 03-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Banned

For what it's worth. I don't know if he can call out to a toll free number but I get a toll free number that forwards straight into my cell phone for $1.99 mo and about 3¢ minute. I only pay for what I use and I can port it into any number, landline or cell. It's from Touchtone Communications. I love it.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:13 PM
--------------

Thanked 6,984 Times in 2,108 Posts

Call me crazy..but..

i have spent $26 for the first MINUTE

and i mean...literally lol

Heres to hopin you find a cheaper way
Old 03-17-2010, 12:18 AM

Booboo, how on earth did that happen? Are you calls always that expensive?
The Following User Says Thank You to moony For This Useful Post:
PTO-189145 (03-19-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Account Closed

Question That sounds strange to me

I was under the impression that inmates could not use toll free numbers from the inside. If that's the case then we can just buy them calling cards and give them the number and bypass all this other drama.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:28 PM

I didn't know the fees could be so outrageous.

That makes me mad.

Thats really not right.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:43 PM

can someone respond to see if the magic jack or skype or vonnage has worked. Please i'm dying here. my husband will be transferred to adams county correctional in MS on monday.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:14 PM
--------------

Thanked 6,984 Times in 2,108 Posts

moony..i'm out of state...so when he called collect..yeah..thats the charge and when its an emergency..you can't say no!..so. $25 a min..there it went lol.

earthstarr: i have never used magic jack..but i talked to one lady who did..and she said it worked. Be careful. im not sure if its allowed..? idk...i think they have cell phones banned for a reason...There are consequences in some prisons if an inmate is caught calling cell phones... idk
Old 03-20-2010, 12:45 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthstarr7 View Post
can someone respond to see if the magic jack or skype or vonnage has worked. Please i'm dying here. my husband will be transferred to adams county correctional in MS on monday.
I have Vonage and it works fine. It all depends what company the prison uses and what types of accounts are allowed. If it's GTL you are very limited, but it's not impossible.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:34 PM

Cubana?

Can you get a 'local' number thru magic jack or skype?

My mom is in CA and she wants my brother to call her from OR. Right now it's costing almost $24.00 for a 15-20 minute call.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:36 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna B View Post
Cubana?

Can you get a 'local' number thru magic jack or skype?

My mom is in CA and she wants my brother to call her from OR. Right now it's costing almost $24.00 for a 15-20 minute call.
If he is in a california state prison, then no it wouldnt help. The best thing to do is, if she plans on getting 2-4 calls a week, is get a remote call forwarding line with verizon or at&t. They both have contracts with GTL and you would not need to fax in your bill. This would be the only way to get a cali number without GTL fing out about it. the calls will be billed to the regular phone bill. You can PM me if you'd like an i'll explain it more if you'd like
Old 03-23-2010, 01:52 AM

Anyone have advice for menard I'll phone calls. Same area code as mine but calls so expensive!