Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 06-27-2020, 12:14 PM
Donation Award 

Default Sentenced Federal Prisoners Delays in Being Transferred?

Has anyone heard whether sentenced federal prisoners are being transferred to prisons and how "slow" or "fast" this is happening? I know of several prisoners sentenced in February and March still sitting in a county jail. My son was sentenced in mid June and I am wondering how long he may "sit" waiting for a transfer. He is currently in a CORE CIVIC facility as a federal inmate. Given the virus everything is slowed and just curious others' experiences in past months with transfers.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGA62 View Post
Has anyone heard whether sentenced federal prisoners are being transferred to prisons and how "slow" or "fast" this is happening? I know of several prisoners sentenced in February and March still sitting in a county jail. My son was sentenced in mid June and I am wondering how long he may "sit" waiting for a transfer. He is currently in a CORE CIVIC facility as a federal inmate. Given the virus everything is slowed and just curious others' experiences in past months with transfers.
I think like everything else nothing seems to be consistent. Some have been transferred and transferred fairly fast and others have not. Some have said that Marshalls are saying that transfers aren't happening except for immigration issues or medical but then we hear of stories where they ARE happening.

The only real solace that you can have is that while he's inside every day is counting towards his time. All of those who are still awaiting sentencing or transferring on the outside, even those on house arrest, aren't gaining any time at all and when they go in, whenever that will be it will be day one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
YOGA62 (06-27-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 03:52 PM

I think most of the transfers were halted around mid March, and just restarted not too long ago.

on the BOP website, there is a press release on 5/25, saying that USMs would start transferring newly sentenced people form county detention to one of the 3 federal quarantine centers; i assume after the 14-day quarantine, they would go to their designated facility. otherwise, there is little information out there.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:25 PM

Same thing here. My son is being sent to an ITF/RSAT center. Was sentenced in March, then Covid happened. Been spinning his wheels and my money in a jail, waiting for transfer.
The Following User Says Thank You to PrayingMama912 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-09-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 09:09 PM
Donation Award 

One codefendant here in Montana sentenced in February has still not be sent to federal prison. Another codefendants sentenced in March is still in county jail. My son sentenced in June still waiting. I hope it is soon. The county jail is horrific. No health care, inmates sleeping on the floor, no cleaning supplies. Very sad. Federal prison will be a big step up to better conditions. Then my son can have a second Hepatitis C test and get his cavities filled.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Was sentencing pushed back because of covid?
Old 07-10-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
One codefendant here in Montana sentenced in February has still not be sent to federal prison. Another codefendants sentenced in March is still in county jail. My son sentenced in June still waiting. I hope it is soon. The county jail is horrific. No health care, inmates sleeping on the floor, no cleaning supplies. Very sad. Federal prison will be a big step up to better conditions. Then my son can have a second Hepatitis C test and get his cavities filled.
Do not hold your breath. The odds of getting Dental in Federal is slim to none especially getting fillings. They might offer to pull them and get around to it when they can 18 months to 2 years later.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:47 PM
Donation Award 

No; sentencing was not pushed back. After sentencing they are delayed in going to a federal prison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frees View Post
Was sentencing pushed back because of covid?
Old 07-10-2020, 09:49 PM
Donation Award 

Default Cavities Filled in Federal Prison

Please there must be some cavities filled in federal prison. He has 9 cavities. Maybe I need to start a new thread this weekend when I find the energy on prisoners that have their teeth cleaned AND cavities filled in federal prisons!! This is making me literally sick thinking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl22472 View Post
Do not hold your breath. The odds of getting Dental in Federal is slim to none especially getting fillings. They might offer to pull them and get around to it when they can 18 months to 2 years later.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Please there must be some cavities filled in federal prison. He has 9 cavities. Maybe I need to start a new thread this weekend when I find the energy on prisoners that have their teeth cleaned AND cavities filled in federal prisons!! This is making me literally sick thinking about it.
I'm sorry but that's just how it is. Just not what everyone thinks it is. The advantage of County jails is generally they are closer to family and at this point they may open up for visitation before Federal even thinks about it.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:50 AM

Way back in 2006 when I was at Ann FCI, they did cleanings every six months, then that was changed to annual. Just be sure he files separate requests (cop-outs) to get on the cleaning list, and another for cavities. I believe if they fill cavities, they do it with a non metallic, essentially temporary, filling material. Unfortunately, it’s a system that prioritizes the most severe dental problems (emergency procedures) first.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:39 PM

What is the quality of the dental cleaning? comparing to a normal dentist's office..
Old 07-16-2020, 06:29 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 24,121 Times in 13,831 Posts

It depends on the situation in each prison, but my experience with vision and dental care was I would have been better served in a back alley in a third world country.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:16 PM
Donation Award 

Just an update on my original post above, my son left Montana a county jail on either the afternoon of July 14 or the morning of July 15. Today, July 16 I was told he is en route to Florence CO complex, and has not yet arrived. I am going to call tomorrow to see. Some guard at another prison was very nice and friendly, rather unique. He looked him up and said he is not coming here he is going to Florence. I believe my son will be in the Medium prison there. At least it is a relief to know he is on the way. I hope it doesn't take too long to get there, after hearing the horror stories of prisoners shipped all over the country in diesel therapy, perhaps with this virus, prisoners won't get shuffled around as much for everyone's health protection!
The Following User Says Thank You to YOGA62 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-17-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 09:56 PM

Here is the excerpt from the bop's Covid-10 "modified operation" page:

INMATE MOVEMENT (Updated): ....

The BOP and the USMS are coordinating carefully to transport and transfer federal inmates into the Bureau's custody while taking proactive steps, including aggressive testing, to mitigate the transmission of COVID-19 into the federal prison environment. The Bureau is processing all newly-sentenced BOP inmates through one of three quarantine sites - - FCC Yazoo City, MS; FCC Victorville, CA; and FTC Oklahoma City, OK, or to a BOP detention center/jail unit. The BOP will test all inmates upon arrival at a BOP detention center/jail unit or at one of the three quarantine sites. All inmates will be tested again before movement to their designated BOP facility.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AyaStar For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-17-2020), YOGA62 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 10:27 PM
Donation Award 

I am wondering if some go directly to the federal prison, if they have already been in a jail somewhere else. But it looks like from this info they have to go to the quarantine site first, guess that makes sense to control the spread of this virus. Thanks
Old 07-17-2020, 11:07 PM
Donation Award 

I now think the guard may have given me wrong info. i think my son may be at a transfer center for 14 days or longer. hard not having a phone call. he is not in BOP locator and I don't think he will be in the bop registry with a destination in a transfer center. i think he will show unknown in bop inmate locator until he gets to the designated prison.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:51 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 24,121 Times in 13,831 Posts

The inmate locator will show him on every day he is in any bop owned prison during the mandatory 4 PM count. If he's not showing up there, he was not counted on that date, which could mean he was still on a bus, or was parked in a jail somewhere.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:57 AM
Donation Award 

Default Parumph NEVADA CORE CIVIC

I found him, he is in Nevada at a transfer facility owned by CORE CIVIC. He shows unknown in the BOP locator since this facility is not owned by BOP. Not very helpful to the thousands or tens of thousands that are being housed in private facilities waiting to transfer to the federal facility.

He waited from July 14-July 16 to have a phone call, free 15-minutes. I put money on the IC Solution account (transferred funds from the previous prison in MT) and sent him 100 with a Western Union wire that will post Monday night. When he moves to the next prison, he can request to have his funds sent to him at the new location if he has a balance. I figure he will be there at least 2 weeks for the quarantine. He told me some inmates are only there a couple days though, and some have been there many months.

They are on lockdown, a prisoner tested positive for the virus, he has his own cell.

Said they took a plane from Great Falls, MT to Vegas, then a bus in 110 degrees was too full so some were in a van. Said it took 16 hours of sitting to process the 30 plus inmates into Parumph CORE CIVIC.

I am happy for him he is out of the county jail, it was very bad. Poor hygiene and inmates dying. A young man early 30s just died there.

I also posted under NEVADA as it is a private facility . Not sure if that was the right place, since he is a federal inmate?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YOGA62 For This Useful Post:
AyaStar (07-19-2020), fbopnomore (07-19-2020)