Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 10-14-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarellan2 View Post
Okay Peeps, I filled out every thing on line. However, its asking me, issued date and expiration date of his drivers license, which expired in 2013. Does anyone know if thats acceptable? I don't know what his federal issue id is.

You can leave those blank, no need for his bop#

as long as you have his SSN.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2020, 05:36 PM

Default Have Stimulus Check - now what?

I received a stimulus check payable to my incarcerated son in May and held it. Now we know it is entitled to the payment but how does he get it the funds?

1) Despite having power of attorney I cannot cash as his name must be on bank account to deposit a federal check.

2) If I send it to Des Moines (federal inmate) it is not a postal order and does not have his BOP number on it

3) If I mail to him what does he do with it?!

Thx for any options.
The Following User Says Thank You to NewWorldMom For This Useful Post:
do97jdl (10-21-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 07:27 PM

My guy asked me to apply online. I put the prisons address on it. Will this be an issue?
Old 10-15-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYOGSXR View Post
You can leave those blank, no need for his bop#

as long as you have his SSN.
Yes. I finally figured that out. Thank you very much. However, I'm still having problems, when I go to continue on efile, it refers me back to page 1 and 2. I reviewed it and I don't see what im doing wrong. The only thing I can think of on page 1 it asks if you have dependants or be claimed as one, but theres no box that says no.
So im just having hard time.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Yes. I finally figured that out. Thank you very much. However, I'm still having problems, when I go to continue on efile, it refers me back to page 1 and 2. I reviewed it and I don't see what im doing wrong. The only thing I can think of on page 1 it asks if you have dependants or be claimed as one, but theres no box that says no.

Did you verify your email address? You have to verify first to continue
Old 10-15-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldMom View Post
I received a stimulus check payable to my incarcerated son in May and held it. Now we know it is entitled to the payment but how does he get it the funds?

1) Despite having power of attorney I cannot cash as his name must be on bank account to deposit a federal check.

2) If I send it to Des Moines (federal inmate) it is not a postal order and does not have his BOP number on it

3) If I mail to him what does he do with it?!

Thx for any options.
Write his BOP# next to his name
Old 10-15-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Did you verify your email address? You have to verify first to continue
Yes. But I'll try again, i deleted the form. So im gonna start all over. See what happens
Old 10-15-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Yes. But I'll try again, i deleted the form. So im gonna start all over. See what happens
Where it says Last years AGI put zero in the taxpayer box
Old 10-15-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Where it says Last years AGI put zero in the taxpayer box
Yes i did that, I put agi 0
I reverified my email, even show in small green prind verified. It still gives me a message to go back to page 1 and verify all info.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:46 PM

Do you think its because on the address I typed in FBOP AND THEN THE PO BOX?
Old 10-15-2020, 10:46 PM

I had to go back several times as I also got the same message to correct the info. First time, I forgot to put the SS# and then when it continued to page 2 it no longer had the 0 in the AGI box. So make sure you have that filled in. It took a few times before it would go through.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Write his BOP# next to his name
If I write his name on it, where do I send it? Des Moines maildrop only accepts postal orders. I can mail it to him, but what can he do with it?
Old 10-16-2020, 10:22 AM

Thanked 2,495 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldMom View Post
If I write his name on it, where do I send it? Des Moines maildrop only accepts postal orders. I can mail it to him, but what can he do with it?

If you have the check in his name & you have a bank account, maybe you could add him as joint on your account & then deposit it for him. You can always take him off your account later. Ask your bank what the process is to add him if you're open to that option. They might need you to send him a form for him to sign & return.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaReform View Post
If you have the check in his name & you have a bank account, maybe you could add him as joint on your account & then deposit it for him. You can always take him off your account later. Ask your bank what the process is to add him if you're open to that option. They might need you to send him a form for him to sign & return.
Thank you. Bank agreed and started this process to add him (briefly) to our checking account.

Here is hoping the check has remained valid as we jump through these hoops!
Old 10-16-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Do you think its because on the address I typed in FBOP AND THEN THE PO BOX?

hmmm, I typed in exactly like this

FBOP LOCKBOX P.O. BOX 474701
Old 10-16-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I just filed online and had the same issue. I came to realize on page two under "Electronic Signature Section C You can choose any 5 numbers for your PIN." You are required to create a 5 number pin. Once you enter a 5 digit pin of your choice you will be able to successfully submit.

I entered the address in Iowa but am nervous it will not be processed properly. I contacted the prison today and they aren't much help. I wanted to know if I should enter the exact prison address he is physically located in or the address where they process cheques/money orders. I entered as I noticed you all did here to Iowa. Hopefully it is successful. Once you submit you will receive an email confirmation stating IRS acceptance within 24 to 48 hours. So let's see!

I hope this helps and you are successful with submitting.

Have a great evening!
Old 10-16-2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giannirim View Post
I just filed online and had the same issue. I came to realize on page two under "Electronic Signature Section C You can choose any 5 numbers for your PIN." You are required to create a 5 number pin. Once you enter a 5 digit pin of your choice you will be able to successfully submit.

I entered the address in Iowa but am nervous it will not be processed properly. I contacted the prison today and they aren't much help. I wanted to know if I should enter the exact prison address he is physically located in or the address where they process cheques/money orders. I entered as I noticed you all did here to Iowa. Hopefully it is successful. Once you submit you will receive an email confirmation stating IRS acceptance within 24 to 48 hours. So let's see!

I hope this helps and you are successful with submitting.

Have a great evening!
All funds have to be directed to IOWA not the physical address where your peoples at.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:13 PM

I am trying to help a penpal out.

I figured that I could do the online 'non filers' option.

What I haven't figured out is how my penpal will eventually get her money. I don't that the check would get to her at the snail mail address that I use to write to her. The prison doesn't have an option of sending a check, only electronic transfers or money orders. Even if they did, the check would need to be made out to the facility. So if she go the check it would be a nice souvenir, but she couldn't cash it.

She is in a Tennessee state prison.

Has anyone resolved this issue yet?

Rod
Old 10-18-2020, 02:02 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 24,129 Times in 13,833 Posts

Just a thought, the bop lock box in Des Moines, Iowa only accepts money orders, so I don't know if a US Government check, emblazoned with Donald Trump's name, would work or not. The other problem is how to add the bop's inmate ID number (xxxxx-xxx) to the payee's line. Unless you apply using a bank account (with the money being wired directly to a joint or individual account), I doubt that it would work.

I recently received an email from the Pennsylvania Prison Society with information on how PA prisoners can receive stimulus money, so you can try getting information directly from the bop Des Moines lockbox folks. By the way, the email said that the change that now permits prisoners to receive stimulus money was the result of a court decision.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:16 PM

When applying online I entered his Inmate ID number in the address line...I followed these steps...
lieffcabraser.com/pdf/updated_1040.pdf

bop.gov/inmates/mobile_moneyInfo.jsp?method=usps
Says “Non-postal money orders and non-government checks will be placed on a 15-day hold.”

It is a government cheque, so I believe it will get processed.

Did anyone do anything different? I really hope this works. You can never get a straight answer when contacting anyone within the BOP. It’s awful!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to giannirim For This Useful Post:
do97jdl (10-21-2020), fbopnomore (10-18-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 07:48 AM
Hopelessly Devoted To Him
Donation Award 

Default Stimulus payments for inmates

Hello everyone, hope you all are keeping safe ! Not sure this post might belong here but since my LO is in a federal prison I thought I’d ask here. Just wanted to ask if anyone else has heard of this/thoughts ? How true is this ?

“The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up”. - Paul Valery
Old 10-22-2020, 09:55 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

This October 21, 2020 article "Prisoners won the right to stimulus checks. Some prisons are standing in the way." by the Marshal Project, and NBC News explains the measures taken by the bop to block their prisoners from receiving lawful Covid stimulus checks.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...g-way-n1244173

"Last week, Thomas Root emailed his weekly legal newsletter from his office in Ohio to nearly 11,000 federal prisoners around the country — just as he’s done every Monday since 2015. That same day, attorney Brandon Sample in Vermont fired off his own weekly legal updates to more than 6,700 federal prisoners — as he’s done for three years".

" Within days, the men were flooded with rejection emails declaring that the Federal Bureau of Prisons had abruptly banned their newsletters, saying they were “detrimental to the security, good order, or discipline of the facility, or might facilitate criminal activity.”

"What did last week’s newsletters have in common? Citing a recent court ruling, both told prisoners how to apply for the $1,200 economic stimulus checks that much of the rest of the country received in the spring through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act, or CARES Act "
Old 10-22-2020, 10:20 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

This article by NBC News and the Marshal Project is headlined

"Prisoners won the right to stimulus checks. Some prisons are standing in the way."

is mainly about the federal bop's efforts to block stimulus payments to their prisoners as ordered by a US District Court Judge, so I posted it in the Federal Prison forum. It also mentions a few different prison systems too, so here is another link to read the October 21 article.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...g-way-n1244173
Old 11-12-2020, 10:42 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Update, with a November 21 filing deadline for prisoners to apply for the $1200.00 stimulus checks.

This article, "Federal Judge Rules Prisoners Eligible for $1,200 Stimulus Checks; Application Deadline Extended to Nov. 21 for Online Filing", from the November issue of "Prison Legal News" reports a ruling by a US federal District Court Judge. The article's title summarizes her ruling, prisoners are eligible for the initial $1200.00 COVID stimulus checks but the online application must be filed by Nov. 21, which is next week.
https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news...online-filing/
Old 11-12-2020, 04:57 PM

Default stimulus check

my incarcerated son received a paper check , i had him sign and the bank will not deposit it in my account unless he is there with his state issued id , what am i going to do at this point it is just a piece of useless paper? please someone help me , i am so stressed out im about to have a stroke.
Annette
The Following User Says Thank You to mamabear101 For This Useful Post:
Lifetime30 (11-16-2020)