Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Parole, Probation, Halfway Houses, Employment, etc.
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Parole, Probation, Halfway Houses, Employment, etc. All information & questions relating to parole, probation, community service, half-way houses, and ex-offender employment in Michigan should be posted here.

Old 10-02-2020, 10:05 PM
Donation Award 

Default What documents does Michigan provide parolees with when they exit prison?

I'm hoping my boyfriend will be given his birth certificate when he gets out soon so that we can get married. Does anyone know if this will be the case, or do we need to request it from the government early?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2020, 10:03 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,471 Times in 17,284 Posts

Hi Bleu, anytime My Mr has been released all he has is his prison ID. We ordered his birth certificate after he was home. Not sure if that's true for Michigan, but your loved one can ask his Counselor if his birth certificate will be ordered by the facility prior to his release. If the answer is no, then you could go ahead and order it online for him.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 10-05-2020, 10:27 AM
Attorney

Michigan has a new initiative in place that will provide an ID (driver license or state ID) to all paroled individuals now. Depending on what facility the person is at an paroling from, it's possible your boyfriend may have his birth certificate and social security card in hand when he gets out. But for sure, he'll have an ID other than his prison ID.
The Following User Says Thank You to enigmaingr For This Useful Post:
patchouli (10-05-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 10:26 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleu View Post
I'm hoping my boyfriend will be given his birth certificate when he gets out soon so that we can get married. Does anyone know if this will be the case, or do we need to request it from the government early?
When you get near your earliest release date, or near your parole hearing, you're automatically put on a list to request your birth certificate, your social security card and a state ID. I think it's maybe 6 months beforehand. You don't HAVE to get these items, but at least you're asked if you want them. Michigan goes back and forth on whether they charge you or not, depending on funding. At one time it was $35 for the birth certificate, then they got funding and it was free. If he's close to getting out, he can ask to get these items.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChloeMoe For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (11-18-2020), patchouli (11-17-2020)