Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Legal Help
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Legal Help Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to the State of California. This information is *NOT PROFESSIONAL* and should always be fact-checked!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-01-2020, 03:59 PM
Bamswife6200 Bamswife6200 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Ca, usa
Posts: 21
Thanks: 29
Thanked 20 Times in 9 Posts
Default Unite the people-BEWARE😡

Hi,

Iím not sure if anyone else has every used the organization called Unite the People, but if you havenít I wanted to make you aware that in my opinion you shouldnít use them. Please review their Yelp account to see the negative reviews ( any positive reviews are posted by staff). They also have 5 complaints with the Better Business Bureau and every client has the same complaints.

In my case(which seems to be the same story for everyone) I had a consultation and of course was told everything that someone with a loved one wants to hear, ďweíve had success and can get your love in back in court and time reducedĒ. Wrong! I had a consultation with the founder (Iím opting to leave the names blank but you can find it on their website). We consulted about having a 1170 D1 completed and he stated he thought his chances would increase if we added a writ and I agreed. He told me both documents would be submitted to the courts and DA office in 60 days! That was over a year ago and both items were just submitted. The 1170 was done so poorly the DA office never recognized it or acknowledged it, so I demanded it be redone, which took another 5 months and it was just done in September of 2020. The writ was started by someone they claimed to be a paralegal, then an out of state attorney who claimed to have license to practice in California, that was changed to their staff attorney. The staff attorney turned out to be suspended and couldnít practice law in California and they submitted it to the courts anyway!! The courts of course denied the writ and gave them a chance to use another attorney and the waited until the last day to try and have another attorney sign off, but the court denied it anyway based on being time barred.

Ive gone around and around in circles with this group and even have text messages from other staff members saying how unorganized and unprofessional they are. They have a high turn over rate and is always changing staff due to complaints and also to fool their clients. Once I paid my money ALL communication stopped. Once the courts denied the writ, they claimed they did their part to submit the documents and no longer respond. We spent $4000.

Please donít be fooled and donít use this organization. Everyone my husband knows in prison with him that has used this complaint has simply taken it as a loss of money and arenít fighting, but Iíve filed complaints with the California bar association and better business Bureau to get a refund.

Donít be scammed!!!
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bamswife6200 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-02-2020), gvalliant (10-09-2020), HisQueenKD (10-03-2020), Jacob's Girl (10-01-2020), LifeTraveler (10-02-2020), Ms Sunny (10-02-2020), Patrickj (10-03-2020)
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 10-01-2020, 07:58 PM
Patrickj's Avatar
Patrickj Patrickj is offline
Moderator
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Atwater CA. USA.
Posts: 2,780
Thanks: 2,679
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,204 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamswife6200 View Post
Hi,

Iím not sure if anyone else has every used the organization called Unite the People, but if you havenít I wanted to make you aware that in my opinion you shouldnít use them. Please review their Yelp account to see the negative reviews ( any positive reviews are posted by staff). They also have 5 complaints with the Better Business Bureau and every client has the same complaints.

In my case(which seems to be the same story for everyone) I had a consultation and of course was told everything that someone with a loved one wants to hear, ďweíve had success and can get your love in back in court and time reducedĒ. Wrong! I had a consultation with the founder (Iím opting to leave the names blank but you can find it on their website). We consulted about having a 1170 D1 completed and he stated he thought his chances would increase if we added a writ and I agreed. He told me both documents would be submitted to the courts and DA office in 60 days! That was over a year ago and both items were just submitted. The 1170 was done so poorly the DA office never recognized it or acknowledged it, so I demanded it be redone, which took another 5 months and it was just done in September of 2020. The writ was started by someone they claimed to be a paralegal, then an out of state attorney who claimed to have license to practice in California, that was changed to their staff attorney. The staff attorney turned out to be suspended and couldnít practice law in California and they submitted it to the courts anyway!! The courts of course denied the writ and gave them a chance to use another attorney and the waited until the last day to try and have another attorney sign off, but the court denied it anyway based on being time barred.

Ive gone around and around in circles with this group and even have text messages from other staff members saying how unorganized and unprofessional they are. They have a high turn over rate and is always changing staff due to complaints and also to fool their clients. Once I paid my money ALL communication stopped. Once the courts denied the writ, they claimed they did their part to submit the documents and no longer respond. We spent $4000.

Please donít be fooled and donít use this organization. Everyone my husband knows in prison with him that has used this complaint has simply taken it as a loss of money and arenít fighting, but Iíve filed complaints with the California bar association and better business Bureau to get a refund.

Donít be scammed!!!

They have changed their name a few times. My last exposure with Unite The People , was when they made changes to section 1170(d)(1) of the Calif Penal Code. Unite the People was taking people to the cleaners. Claiming they could get your sentence reduced. at that time they were hitting people for $1,500 each and doing nothing. I have exposed them several times. Yet people will tell me I don't know what I am talking about(especially on F.B)
Thanks for your story sorry about what they done to you
__________________
Be a friend to everyone,never know when you may need their help
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Patrickj For This Useful Post:
Bamswife6200 (10-02-2020), fbopnomore (10-02-2020), gvalliant (10-09-2020)
  #3  
Old 10-02-2020, 06:59 AM
sidewalker sidewalker is offline
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ca usa
Posts: 34,267
Thanks: 60,545
Thanked 33,087 Times in 16,530 Posts
Default

Im so sorry this happened to you. Thats a chunk of change to put out for nothing but aggravation and no result.
__________________
I thought about why that frisbee was getting bigger and bigger.........
then it hit me.

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Bamswife6200 (10-02-2020)
  #4  
Old 10-02-2020, 03:55 PM
Bamswife6200 Bamswife6200 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Ca, usa
Posts: 21
Thanks: 29
Thanked 20 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj View Post

They have changed their name a few times. My last exposure with Unite The People , was when they made changes to section 1170(d)(1) of the Calif Penal Code. Unite the People was taking people to the cleaners. Claiming they could get your sentence reduced. at that time they were hitting people for $1,500 each and doing nothing. I have exposed them several times. Yet people will tell me I don't know what I am talking about(especially on F.B)
Thanks for your story sorry about what they done to you
If anybody told you that,. They were probably from that organization. Itís ridiculous they can still be allowed to even operate with all the complaints they have against them. I donít have social media but please feel free to share my story. People are holding on to false hope with unite the people but after a while they will definitely see, they wonít get anywhere with them. Iím filing complaints with every possible entinity.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bamswife6200 For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (10-09-2020), Patrickj (10-03-2020), sidewalker (10-03-2020)
  #5  
Old 10-03-2020, 02:29 PM
Patrickj's Avatar
Patrickj Patrickj is offline
Moderator
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Atwater CA. USA.
Posts: 2,780
Thanks: 2,679
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,204 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamswife6200 View Post
If anybody told you that,. They were probably from that organization. Itís ridiculous they can still be allowed to even operate with all the complaints they have against them. I donít have social media but please feel free to share my story. People are holding on to false hope with unite the people but after a while they will definitely see, they wonít get anywhere with them. Iím filing complaints with every possible entinity.

Unite the People and I have been at each others throat for a long time. They make promises they in no way can produce.
Unite the People came out with their sentencing reduction story just about the time I was doing my in service training on 1170(d)(1) I could read their bullshit between the lines
__________________
Be a friend to everyone,never know when you may need their help
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Patrickj For This Useful Post:
Bamswife6200 (10-13-2020), gvalliant (10-09-2020), sidewalker (10-04-2020)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Venting- phone issues 😡 Jesse22 California: County & City Jail Discussions 0 02-14-2015 01:42 AM
Any Advice about UNITE MrsGramps Kentucky General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat 1 11-15-2008 05:44 PM
We have to unite! smallngood Texas General Prison Talk 15 05-28-2008 10:31 AM
aussies unite Omni Employment w/a Criminal Record 0 10-04-2006 10:09 AM
Mac Users Unite! flygirlaa2 PTO Lounge 5 02-15-2003 03:10 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:07 PM.
Copyright © 2001- 2019 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics