Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 08-18-2020, 04:15 PM

Default Did time at Sheridan PC, did RDAP. AMA

Back home now and always promised myself I would return the favor of the people that gave me insight leading up to my sentencing, self surrender etc.

I was assigned to Sheridan FPC for my 2 year sentence. Self Surrender, did Rdap, Florence AZ Halfway house, Home confinement, and now on Prob.

Ask me anything.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azjg1999 For This Useful Post:
AyaStar (08-19-2020), fbopnomore (08-18-2020), YOGA62 (08-23-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2020, 05:19 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,290 Times in 1,505 Posts

HI, and welcome to PTO. I do sentencing mitigation and always thought if a sentence was under 30 months, RDAP was not possible. Obviously, you got in with 24 months, if you were literal. So, I'd love to know what you think the minimum time is that someone can have and still get accepted for RDAP. I'm guessing there wasn't a waiting list. I look forward to learning more.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellisq View Post
HI, and welcome to PTO. I do sentencing mitigation and always thought if a sentence was under 30 months, RDAP was not possible. Obviously, you got in with 24 months, if you were literal. So, I'd love to know what you think the minimum time is that someone can have and still get accepted for RDAP. I'm guessing there wasn't a waiting list. I look forward to learning more.
I believe RDAP would still be possible. It can't shorten your sentence, because you would have little or no time left to serve by the time you graduated from the program. But you would still get the "therapeutic" benefit of the program, hopefully helping you beat your addiction.
Old 08-22-2020, 02:25 PM

Default My Exp with RDAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellisq View Post
Correct. I had a 24 month sentence. Since I landed at a place that had RDAP it worked out well for me. If I had to transfer I might not of been able to get there in time. I also received a 6 month sentence reduction from my involvement in RDAP. I was really worried about this as I was sure from my research there would be no way I would get Rdap or be eligible for time off.

That was not the case in my experience. There was a guy with a 22 month sentence that did rdap and got 6 months off while I was there. Also I know of inmates transferring to Sheridan starting Rdap the follow week and getting time off. The time off is based on your total sentence. 6 months, 9 months, 1 year. The day after the rdap graduation is usually a day that imates are transferred to Halfway house. There was 9 guys that left the day after I graduated with me.

I am not sure if anything I did helped me land at a place like Sheridan. I might have just got lucky. But these are some of the things I did.

I was open about my issues during sentencing and interview with Probation Officer leading up to sentencing.

Made sure documentation of my treatment, and recovery work was sent to every possible department leading up to my assignment. BOP, Pre sentencing Officer, Probation office completing my pre sentencing report, and the judge.

Once I was assigned to Sheridan I sent that documentation to Sheridan FPC attn RDAP office.

Again not sure if I needed to do all this. It didnt take me long after landing at sheridan to realize that camp is designed for rdap. Half the pop there is in the program, about to be in the program, or just completed the program.

A new group starts every month there 11 months out of the year. I was in RDAP on the 61 days of my time there. I served 11 months of my 24 month sentence.

The program is not easy, you def have to earn the time off.

Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azjg1999 For This Useful Post:
YOGA62 (08-23-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99mtg00 View Post
I believe RDAP would still be possible. It can't shorten your sentence, because you would have little or no time left to serve by the time you graduated from the program. But you would still get the "therapeutic" benefit of the program, hopefully helping you beat your addiction.
I was able to earn 6 months off my 24 month sentence.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azjg1999 For This Useful Post:
EyesOpening (08-26-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 02:57 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,290 Times in 1,505 Posts

Azjg: That's fascinating. I've been naysaying to everyone with less than 30 months, but I no longer will. I guess I need to learn which places have as plentiful an RDAP schedule as Sheridan.

What the past 5 months has taught me is nothing is off the table. Ask for everything, because you never know what will stick.

I hope your recovery goes well. If you don't already have a sponsor, it would be great to do so. As you may know, you can request to get off Supervised Release after 1 year. In my experience, 1.5 years seems to work better. If we can do anything to help with your request, when the time comes, ask us. Lots of folks get off early and that's a good thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to bellisq For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-22-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 09:48 PM
Donation Award 

Default Congratulations!

Congratulations and thank you for helping others. You sound like you are in a good place now and got the 6 months off sentence that is awesome! I will think of some questions tomorrow too tired tonight! I hope all is going well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azjg1999 View Post
Back home now and always promised myself I would return the favor of the people that gave me insight leading up to my sentencing, self surrender etc.

I was assigned to Sheridan FPC for my 2 year sentence. Self Surrender, did Rdap, Florence AZ Halfway house, Home confinement, and now on Prob.

Ask me anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to YOGA62 For This Useful Post:
bellisq (08-24-2020)