Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 07-28-2020, 07:58 PM

Default FBOP: Other than Western Union & MoneyGram, how can I send money?

What other ways can i send my husband money other than western union and money gram? both my accounts have been cancelled due to no longer being in country. what other sevice is there for me to use via international?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2020, 08:40 PM
Donation Award 

Default On the BOP Website is another method by mail

Sending funds using the United States Postal Service

Inmates can receive funds at a BOP-managed facility, which are deposited into their commissary accounts. If you would like to send an inmate funds through the mail, you must use the United States Postal Service.

Please read and follow these steps carefully:

Wait until an inmate has physically arrived at a Federal Bureau of Prisons' facility. Locate Inmate Whereabouts
Obtain a money order. View Details
Send the money order to our central processing location. View Details
Old 07-28-2020, 08:42 PM
Donation Award 

Default link

https://www.bop.gov/inmates/communications.jsp
Old 07-28-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGA62 View Post
Sending funds using the United States Postal Service

Inmates can receive funds at a BOP-managed facility, which are deposited into their commissary accounts. If you would like to send an inmate funds through the mail, you must use the United States Postal Service.

Please read and follow these steps carefully:

Wait until an inmate has physically arrived at a Federal Bureau of Prisons' facility. Locate Inmate Whereabouts
Obtain a money order. View Details
Send the money order to our central processing location. View Details

Thanks Yoga,

But that's not an option for me either.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:56 PM

may have to send a money order in BOP name to someone you know here, and have them send it in....
Old 07-29-2020, 03:56 PM
Donation Award 

the federal prison won't accept a money order from another country? What country are you living in? As above you may need to send the money in some form to a person in the US, they send the money order from a post office in a special pre stamped envelope. Why can't you call in Western Union and pay for wire over the phone? That is what I did for 200 and it cost 9.95 for the transaction fee, which was high, but I needed to get the money right away to my son who just arrived to a federal prison. I hope he has access to the money. Hope this helps?
Old 07-29-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
the federal prison won't accept a money order from another country? What country are you living in? As above you may need to send the money in some form to a person in the US, they send the money order from a post office in a special pre stamped envelope. Why can't you call in Western Union and pay for wire over the phone? That is what I did for 200 and it cost 9.95 for the transaction fee, which was high, but I needed to get the money right away to my son who just arrived to a federal prison. I hope he has access to the money. Hope this helps?

I'm stuck in Australia and i had to give up my green card because i came back for surgery and ended up having to give up the green card because the hospital kept delaying my surgery which didn't allow me to come back and because the green card has a maximum 6 month out of country stay on it and because my husband was going to go to jail he decided that i should just stay here and relinquish my greencard since we had no family or friends that i could go back and stay with and also the fact that i didn't know how to drive or survive in a country setting on my own.

Now i regret ever coming back but we couldn't afford the health insurance in America. It was too expensive we either had to pay and starve or eat and do without. When he was in county jail it was easy to send him money but now that he's in federal it's become non existent.

Last edited by Born; 07-29-2020 at 04:10 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Born For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 07:10 PM
Donation Award 

Default Debit Card

Australia sounds so nice and less expensive health care there. So what about a debit card/credit card? Do you have one? I called Western Union, they are open 24/7 and I paid on my son's account with my debit card.

All you need is the Registration number, the inmate's name and say it is for a federal prison, giving the name of prison, but they all use the same FBOP account DC for Washington DC. At least that is what they told me. I received an email with confirmation of the payment. You can call the WU 800 number.

Would that work? WU is worldwide I think....
Old 07-30-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Australia sounds so nice and less expensive health care there. So what about a debit card/credit card? Do you have one? I called Western Union, they are open 24/7 and I paid on my son's account with my debit card.

All you need is the Registration number, the inmate's name and say it is for a federal prison, giving the name of prison, but they all use the same FBOP account DC for Washington DC. At least that is what they told me. I received an email with confirmation of the payment. You can call the WU 800 number.

Would that work? WU is worldwide I think....

I tried calling but again no luck. They've closed my account because i'm out of country and even though western union is worldwide they do not allow international money transfers into an American commissary account due to money laundering and fraud guidelines. Too god damn stressed and heart broken at the moment. If anyone else knows of another way please share. Thank you
Old 07-30-2020, 07:20 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,290 Times in 1,505 Posts

There has been more than one person from the UK and elsewhere talking about successfully sending money from their country. Other than putting in the term "foreign" and seeing what comes up, I think you are going to have to research it from your end.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellisq View Post
There has been more than one person from the UK and elsewhere talking about successfully sending money from their country. Other than putting in the term "foreign" and seeing what comes up, I think you are going to have to research it from your end.
I have been trying all week, I've called the prison, written to the warden and councilor and they couldn't help as they only use money-gram and western union. I lost a $100 by using money-gram and then they closed my account due to being outside America. western union also closed my account for the same reason. Both western union and money-gram are owned and operated by western union. Western union international wire transfers are not accepted due to wire fraud guidelines. I have no-one in the U.S who could help me. I'm desperate to stay in communication with my husband. I also know how important it is to fund his account. I don't know who else to turn to or where to go i've done my research and have come to a dead end. So i thought of trying here. I'm reading all the federal posts but cant seem to find anything. Boy this is hard and i wouldn't wish this type of a life on anyone.

Thanks for your reply
Old 07-30-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born View Post
I have been trying all week, I've called the prison, written to the warden and councilor and they couldn't help as they only use money-gram and western union. I lost a $100 by using money-gram and then they closed my account due to being outside America. western union also closed my account for the same reason. Both western union and money-gram are owned and operated by western union. Western union international wire transfers are not accepted due to wire fraud guidelines. I have no-one in the U.S who could help me. I'm desperate to stay in communication with my husband. I also know how important it is to fund his account. I don't know who else to turn to or where to go i've done my research and have come to a dead end. So i thought of trying here. I'm reading all the federal posts but cant seem to find anything. Boy this is hard and i wouldn't wish this type of a life on anyone.

Thanks for your reply
https://www.bop.gov/contact/

Try contacting bop HQ directly. good luck!
Old 07-30-2020, 08:30 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,290 Times in 1,505 Posts

The answer is in AU, not the US. BOP will know nothing. I can't believe there isn't a way. Talk to your bank. How would you send anyone else money to put on his account?
Old 07-30-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellisq View Post
The answer is in AU, not the US. BOP will know nothing. I can't believe there isn't a way. Talk to your bank. How would you send anyone else money to put on his account?

I've contacted the bank and every other institution here in Australia. The issue is not Australia I can send to the U.S money wires and checks. The only problem is the Federal Prisons don't accept them they only accept anything from within America only.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyaStar View Post
https://www.bop.gov/contact/

Try contacting bop HQ directly. good luck!

Thank you
Old 08-08-2020, 05:42 PM
Donation Award 

Default Bank

Hi Born,

Just wondering will you be coming back to the US? Could you open a bank account in the US and then have the bank help you by making a payment out of your bank debit card to Western Union? Or is there a branch where you live where you can get a bank with a US Branch? Then a US debit card? Then you could have bank assist? Just a thought. There must be some way!

Quote:
It all depends on where you live. If you're in the states then you can fund him and place money on his account. If you're overseas then you probably can't. It also depends on where he is if he's in federal prison then there nothing that i have found to help support or fund his commissary account as they only use moneygram, western union or money orders. But if hes county then you can fund his account via access corrections and jpay.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Hi Born,

Just wondering will you be coming back to the US? Could you open a bank account in the US and then have the bank help you by making a payment out of your bank debit card to Western Union? Or is there a branch where you live where you can get a bank with a US Branch? Then a US debit card? Then you could have bank assist? Just a thought. There must be some way!

Yoga,

I have tried calling my bank in the states and they've informed me that theres nothing that they can do or help with unless i go there in person. Now that will be very hard to do as we have travel bans for international flights out of Australia at the moment we are under level 4 restrictions and can only venture out no more than five miles and have to wear the masks. We have the army patrolling the homes and streets. This coronia is quite the headache and pain at the moment as everyone is in fear. I've also written a letter to trump advising him that there are many family members who are living overseas that are helpless in helping their spouses re commissary and whether he could do anything about trying to help us all out. I'm not expecting a response but who knows.

Last edited by Born; 08-08-2020 at 08:21 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Born For This Useful Post:
do97jdl (08-10-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 06:24 AM

There is no way. I tried and tried. You need to find someone in the US that you can transfer money to and then they can forward it for you. I send money through PayPal to his best friend who then sends it on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twinkle82 For This Useful Post:
do97jdl (08-10-2020), YOGA62 (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 09:57 AM

Default Overseas families

Quote:
Yoga,

I have tried calling my bank in the states and they've informed me that theres nothing that they can do or help with unless i go there in person. Now that will be very hard to do as we have travel bans for international flights out of Australia at the moment we are under level 4 restrictions and can only venture out no more than five miles and have to wear the masks. We have the army patrolling the homes and streets. This coronia is quite the headache and pain at the moment as everyone is in fear. I've also written a letter to trump advising him that there are many family members who are living overseas that are helpless in helping their spouses re commissary and whether he could do anything about trying to help us all out. I'm not expecting a response but who knows.
Born:
You might have a better chance writing to the local federal public defenders office. They have the most accurate information, and those men and women are the most competent and compassionate lawyers.
All the best!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AyaStar For This Useful Post:
bellisq (08-09-2020), do97jdl (08-10-2020), YOGA62 (08-09-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 10:56 PM
Donation Award 

Default Re: sending money

Quote:

Thanks for your reply
Have you asked the US Postal service directly, by either calling (which may be impossible) or via email or snail mail?
It seems that if you sent something like travels checks that you purchased there you would be able to buy a US postal money order, or it seems that they should be able to accept that currency here.
Another consideration may be to get a military money order from a US base in Australia, if there is one close by and if that's possible at all, and see if there is a way to transfer that to the US post office. Convoluted I know.
Rather stupid that people overseas cannot send money to them here.
Alternatively, maybe there's a way to create another western union account, or have a relative do that for you over there ( and use your old address here)
Good luck to you whatever way it may work out.
What prison is your spouse in here? (if you don't mind telling)

Old 08-11-2020, 04:05 AM

So far this is what ive done and what has happened. 1) Moneygam and western union in australia sends money to the US but not the prison system. 2) I got in contact with my husbands estranged half sister and asked her if she could help us she said that she would so i sent her $1500 to place on my husbands commissary account. I even added her to my us credit card so that she could place some money onto my husbands account. So far all shes done is take the money and cleared out the credit card out so she's run away with $2500 in my hard earned money which was supposed to be for my husband she also took the check that the county jail refunds back to the sender which was a further $223.96 so basically she's taken almost $3000 and now won't answer my calls and i'm left having to pay the credit card and try to save some more money to help my husband out with. 3) I've gone to the post office and bank here and nether do money orders as we now have wire transfers. I know I'm stupid to have trusted her but i was desperate to help my husband out and thought that maybe she would do the honorable thing and help since we've helped her out many a time in the past. I've never met her in person and my husband hasn't seen her in over 20 years they're not close and never have been but every once in a while she would call asking for help. And when we asked her for help we thought nothing of trusting her. anyway back to the drawing board. I guess she was desperate for the money.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:14 AM

do97jdl,

He's in FCI Milan, I've also been staying up till midnight so as to call his councilor and warden but every-time i call i'm told that they're not available so i emailed them and i'm still awaiting a response for emails that i've sent two weeks ago. I can't believe how they've just ignored my calls and emails. Not very good customer service.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 6,488 Times in 3,237 Posts

Quote:
do97jdl,

He's in FCI Milan, I've also been staying up till midnight so as to call his councilor and warden but every-time i call i'm told that they're not available so i emailed them and i'm still awaiting a response for emails that i've sent two weeks ago. I can't believe how they've just ignored my calls and emails. Not very good customer service.

Sorry but "customer service" is not their job. Sad to say but your husband (as well as all inmates) are property of the institution and prison system. The councilors and wardens or any other prison employee do not owe families anything at all. They do not have to contact you or respond to you or any inmates' loved ones. Further, if you keep trying to contact them, they can make it harder on your husband. That's not supposed to happen but it unfortunately does.

I'm sorry but that's how it is.