Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Florida General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Florida that do not fit into any other Florida subforum.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:02 PM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 423 Posts
Default Need info about college courses in Florida prisons

hi ladys,, first i want to say, thank you all for always being here for me , i wonder if any of you can help me, my son was asking me can he take collage courses in prison ?? we are here in fla,,do i have to ask the prison if he can do them??? i dont know anything about this,,or what i have to do for him . thank you all for any help you can give me...hugs brave heart
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2011, 07:07 PM

Thanked 8,633 Times in 2,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave heart View Post
hi ladys,, first i want to say, thank you all for always being here for me , i wonder if any of you can help me, my son was asking me can he take collage courses in prison ?? we are here in fla,,do i have to ask the prison if he can do them??? i dont know anything about this,,or what i have to do for him . thank you all for any help you can give me...hugs brave heart
He should check with his case manager to see what is offered at his prison. Some of the facilites offer college classes. there are universities that offer correspondence courses to inmates also... you can do a web search to find out which ones. I know Ohio State offers some. Some are free and some arent you just kinda have to look to find the ones that wont charge. Now i am not sure with Florida but in Ohio an inmate can take classes and earn credits towards a degree but can not complete the degree while incarcerated. SO like with my son he is going to take some classes but will have to finish his degree once he is released.
hope this helps

Lori
Old 06-04-2011, 12:00 AM

My son is in CA, and did have to get permission from the warden to take correspondence courses if procured by the inmate or his family. We sent courses through LSU Distance Learning -- they are not quite as expensive as other Universities, and they still have several that are all-mail delivery. Unfortunately, the trend at Universities is to go to web-based online distance learning, which is completely useless for most (all?) inmates. [Ohio State is one college that offered courses specifically for the incarcerated... and I heard that even THEY want to go to online courses. I guess they aren't doing a lot of 'business' with that program :-(]

Many of the CA prisons offered courses through nearby Community Colleges, and had an education department all set up to administer coursework and proctor exams... but funding for almost all of that got cut. Darn it.

The bottom line is that your son has to find out how his prison handles college classes, because he WILL need to take proctored exams and things, so some sort of permission is involved.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZD_K For This Useful Post:
brave heart (06-04-2011)
Old 06-04-2011, 04:25 PM

Your son should send an inmate request form to the Education Supervisor asking if s/he has any knowledge of programs, and if so can your son come in and talk about them. This strategy may or may not working depending on the facility and whether the ES gives a damn. At the same time he should also go to the prison library and ask the librarian and the various clerks what they know about mail order degree or certification programs. Some colleges mail information to the librarians for posting, plus s/he should have both reference books that list higher education programs, and online access to same. Again, that's assuming it's a librarian who gives a damn. What prison staff can do and what they are willing to do varies widely. The inmate clerks in Education and at the library tend to know more than many of the staff about educational opportunities and possible limitations. The community college programs that used to help prisoners have vanished with funding in Florida as in other states.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:42 PM

In Florida inmates have Classification Officers who serve as the nexus point, but they are too often worthless when it comes to valid information. Too many have insufficient training and experience, and others have been on the job too long and are burned out. Those inmates who have ethical and responsive ClOs should count themselves lucky. But they won't know squat about college programs. That's not within their job description.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fencie For This Useful Post:
amickeyfan (06-04-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 12:01 AM

Also, from what I was told when my son first went in, if they don't have several years, they won't get any college classes either. My son had some college credits before going in. He was sentenced to 3 years with 209 days credit for time served. When he was in SFRC for the intake process, he asked about taking some classes & they told him that his sentence was not long enough. OK.. a 3 credit class should only take 5 months.. his DOC entrance date was 10/1/09 & ERD (at the 85% with gain time) is 9/6/11. He could have had a few classes in... When he went to the WRC in Dec, he asked over there about attending the community college part time (we would have to pay) since there is something about being allowed to do that when in a WRC, they looked at him like he had 3 heads. He was told that they didn't do that there.. then again, where he is, they don't do anything by DOC rules..