Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes Do you have news relating to California's Prison or Ciminal Justice System and related efforts? Post them here! Also discuss 3 Strike laws.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:59 PM

Default Propositions on November ballot

check out no. 5,6 & 9

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs...st/013567.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davidandbridget For This Useful Post:
fanciface (06-30-2008), kima (06-30-2008)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2008, 11:33 PM

Thanked 4,616 Times in 1,700 Posts

Vote YES on 5!!! This is the Nora Act.

Vote NO on 6 and 9!!! These are Marsy's Law and the Runners Initiative.

If you're not registered to vote, please do so as soon as possible. It's really easy and you can do it online. Just go to your county election clerks website. If anyone needs help registering feel free to PM me and I'll see if I can help you. This is so important in so many ways. Even if you don't vote for any elected officials including the President, you need to vote on these three bills.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kima For This Useful Post:
desertmoonwoman (07-11-2008), fanciface (06-30-2008), fidgitus (07-02-2008), javies gurl (07-08-2008), monkeyseesall (07-02-2008), prayN4myboy (07-01-2008), wtomatoo1030 (07-02-2008)
Old 07-01-2008, 01:38 PM

THANKS GUYS FOR THIS INFO, I WAS WAITING FOR THEM TO GET A PROPOSTION #. I HAVE MADE FLYERS TO SEND TO MY HUSBAND SO HE CAN PASS IT ON TO ALL INMATES TO SEND TO THEIR FAMILIES. WE HAVE TO HELP GET THE WORD OUT!!!!

VOTE “NO” ON PROPOSITIONS
# 6 & # 9

Propositions that are on the

November 4, 2008 General Election Ballot*

Proposition 6
1326. Criminal Penalties and Laws. Public Safety Funding. Statute.
Proponents: George C. Runner, Jr., Gary Ovitt and Mike Reynolds
Requires new state spending on various programs to combat crime and gangs, and to operate prison and parole systems. Increases penalties for several crimes, including violating gang injunctions, using or possessing to sell methamphetamine, or carrying loaded or concealed firearms by certain felons. Eliminates bail for illegal immigrants charged with violent or gang-related felonies, establishes crime for removing or disabling a monitoring device affixed as part of a criminal sentence, and changes evidence rules to allow use of certain hearsay statements as evidence when witnesses are unavailable. Summary of estimate by Legislative Analyst and Director of Finance of fiscal impact on state and local government: Net state costs likely to exceed a half billion dollars annually primarily for increased funding of criminal justice programs, as well as for increased costs for prison and parole operations. Unknown one-time state capital outlay costs potentially exceeding a half billion dollars for prison facilities. Unknown net fiscal impact for state trial courts, county jails, and other local criminal justice agencies. (Initiative 07-0094.) (Full Text)
Proposition 9
1325. Criminal Justice System. Victims’ Rights. Parole. Constitutional Amendment and Statute.
Proponents: Henry Nicholas, Marcella Leach and LaWanda Hawkins c/o Ashlee N. Titus (916) 442-7757
Requires notification to victim and opportunity for input during phases of criminal justice process, including bail, pleas, sentencing and parole. Establishes victim safety as consideration in determining bail or release on parole. Increases the number of people permitted to attend and testify on behalf of victims at parole hearings. Reduces the number of parole hearings to which prisoners are entitled. Requires that victims receive written notification of their constitutional rights. Establishes timelines and procedures concerning parole revocation hearings. Summary of estimate by Legislative Analyst and Director of Finance of fiscal impact on state and local government: Unknown potential increases in state prison and county jail operating costs due to provisions restricting early release of inmates. To the extent that any such costs were incurred, they could collectively amount to hundreds of millions of dollars annually. A potential net savings in the low tens of millions of dollars for the administration of parole reviews and revocations if the changes related to parole revocation procedures were not overturned by potential legal challenges. (Initiative 07-0100.) (Full Text)

VOTE “YES” ON PROPOSITION
# 5

Proposition 5
1310. Nonviolent Offenders. Sentencing, Parole and Rehabilitation. Statute.
Proponent: Daniel N. Abrahamson (510) 229-5211
Requires State to expand and increase funding and oversight for individualized treatment and rehabilitation programs for nonviolent drug offenders and parolees. Reduces criminal consequences of nonviolent drug offenses by mandating three-tiered probation with treatment and by providing for case dismissal and/or sealing of records after probation. Limits court’s authority to incarcerate offenders who violate probation or parole. Shortens parole for most drug offenses, including sales, and for nonviolent property crimes. Creates numerous divisions, boards, commissions, and reporting requirements regarding drug treatment and rehabilitation. Changes certain marijuana misdemeanors to infractions. Summary of estimate by Legislative Analyst and Director of Finance of fiscal impact on state and local government: Increased state costs that could exceed $1 billion annually primarily for expanding drug treatment and rehabilitation programs for offenders in state prisons, on parole, and in the community. Savings to the state that could exceed $1 billion annually due primarily to reduced prison and parole operating costs. Net savings on a one-time basis on capital outlay costs for prison facilities that could exceed $2.5 billion. Unknown net fiscal effect on expenditures for county operations and capital outlay. (Initiative 07-0081.) (Full Text)

Last edited by Mrs. Magic; 07-01-2008 at 01:40 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrs. Magic For This Useful Post:
desertmoonwoman (07-11-2008), fidgitus (07-02-2008)
Old 07-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,999 Times in 801 Posts

Inmates really need to get their family members to get registered to vote if they are eligable. A vote is a vote. They all count.
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. And then you cash in on guilt"--Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
The Following User Says Thank You to Morris1 For This Useful Post:
wtomatoo1030 (07-02-2008)
Old 07-08-2008, 10:15 PM
I belong to him
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,847 Times in 1,719 Posts

i'm excited to vote for the first time this year. i could've started voting 14 yrs ago but i always thought "whats one vote?". now i know that if there are thousands out there like me..... then thats thousands of votes.

~grumpy's wifey~

Loyalty IS Everything!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrs.grumps For This Useful Post:
kima (07-08-2008), Morris1 (07-09-2008)
Old 07-08-2008, 10:29 PM

Thanked 4,616 Times in 1,700 Posts

I haven't always voted either, figured "what's the use"? Now I'm realizing that if we DON'T vote, then we don't "count". The stakes in the justice system are getting too high to just sit back and ignore the problems any longer. If every California prisoner had just ONE family member voting this November, that would be over 170,000 votes!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kima For This Useful Post:
Morris1 (07-09-2008), mrs.grumps (07-08-2008), Sizzixgal (07-09-2008)
Old 07-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Account Closed

Between my fiancee and myself we have covered all of Valley State prison for women in Chowchilla with the flyer that Family Comes First sent us about 6 & 9, her from the inside and me from the outside.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:54 PM
BIGBURT

California Voter Foundation in there recent survey has found that 6.4 million Californians who are eligible to vote are unregistered. The survey also found that family and friends are as likely as any other source in influencing how infrequent voters decide to vote. We need to tell, ask and influence our own families and friends to first register. Then we need to educate them on prison reform issues. Most people are not aware of the sad conditions of California prisons and the appalling conditions the incarcerated face daily. We all need to vote and influence others to do the same! The best to all. BigBurtChino
Old 07-11-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy72 View Post
Between my fiancee and myself we have covered all of Valley State prison for women in Chowchilla with the flyer that Family Comes First sent us about 6 & 9, her from the inside and me from the outside.
Do you know where I can get one? I joined TIPS but they are holding off for awhile on sending fliers because they are afraid that the public will forget if we start educating them too soon. I would appreciate any info.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Donation Award 

Why would they think that? The earlier the better. It takes time to get things to people.
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. And then you cash in on guilt"--Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Old 07-11-2008, 08:24 AM
2008Tea Party-CA Co-Chair

Thanked 2,531 Times in 797 Posts

Also for people with family or friends in jail (not prison) most are eligible to vote and don't know it. They can and should request ballets. I've always voted, but up until a few years ago I didn't pay as much attention to the propositions as I should have. I was more interested in who was running for what. I've now learned it really doesn't matter who wins so much as long as the laws in place are good for all.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Donation Award 

Also, NO more of the partisan voting. If I like a Democrat better than a Republican. That is who gets my vote. They need to get rid of the parties as far as I am concerned.
The Following User Says Thank You to Morris1 For This Useful Post:
Sizzixgal (07-11-2008)
Old 07-11-2008, 11:09 AM
2008Tea Party-CA Co-Chair

Thanked 2,531 Times in 797 Posts

That's for sure. As Glenn Beck said:

Quote:
Although I am a "conservative," I'm not a "Republican," and there's a big difference. A true Republican, or a true Democrat, is someone who puts their party above their principles and their candidate above their conscience.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Judeca For This Useful Post:
Morris1 (07-11-2008), Sizzixgal (07-11-2008)
Old 07-11-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris1 View Post
Why would they think that? The earlier the better. It takes time to get things to people.
I totally agree but when I emailed GiGi that's what she said. It gets me a little nervous but maybe they are hoping for more volunteers.