Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ALABAMA > Alabama Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alabama Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in Alabama should be posted here.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:45 PM

Default Sex offender parole in Alabama

A guy I met in Easterling who was in there for rape made parole after ..15 years, I think. But, they need a home plan.

He's written me, asking me for help - but I certainly can't be of much help to him. He says he needs help with a hotel - but that doesn't make sense to me. Seems if he got out on parole, they would only release him if he had a place to stay. I can help him a little - but I certainly can't have him stay with me, and I certainly can't afford to subsidize him for a month until he gets a job and gets cash flow.

If anyone has any insights on how this gets handled, and what hoops are waiting for him, I'd appreciate it.

I would think, if he could, he'd do better in California. His mother is older, but she's there and Cal. DoC wouldn't have nearly as many hoops for him to jump through to stay out of trouble.

But, that would bring the interstate compact agreement stuff in, which could complicate things.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigpappy For This Useful Post:
liveweyerd (05-06-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2017, 02:07 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,208 Times in 13,207 Posts

Some states will allow parole to a motel and/or homeless status, but I just don't know if Alabama is one of those states. You may want to call the local PO's office and ask (without providing your name / your friend's name).

If he considers an interstate compact to California, he should do his due diligence on Cali's SO rules for sex offenders....I've heard its not one of the better states for SO's.

Good luck to your friend, and congratulations to him on his making parole!
Old 04-03-2017, 02:07 PM

I have a friend in California - who was in prison for molesting his own children, if you can wrap your brain around that. I know him to be a good man and still can't fathom what sort of demon possessed him to do such a thing - but that's neither here nor there.

Suffice to say, he's told me that ALL he has to do is check in on his birthday, unless he moves, and then he'll have to update his address. That's it. Once annually, he's got to visit the Sheriff's Office. (In California) Sounds pretty lax to me.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpappy View Post
A guy I met in Easterling who was in there for rape made parole after ..15 years, I think. But, they need a home plan.

He's written me, asking me for help - but I certainly can't be of much help to him. He says he needs help with a hotel - but that doesn't make sense to me. Seems if he got out on parole, they would only release him if he had a place to stay. I can help him a little - but I certainly can't have him stay with me, and I certainly can't afford to subsidize him for a month until he gets a job and gets cash flow.

If anyone has any insights on how this gets handled, and what hoops are waiting for him, I'd appreciate it.

I would think, if he could, he'd do better in California. His mother is older, but she's there and Cal. DoC wouldn't have nearly as many hoops for him to jump through to stay out of trouble.

But, that would bring the interstate compact agreement stuff in, which could complicate things.
You might check into the RSOL group chapters in both states. They might have some advice or contacts to help him. I also found these groups that you might check for resources-http://reformalabama.blogspot.com/ http://all4consolaws.org/category/california/
Old 04-04-2017, 08:32 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 24,429 Times in 12,649 Posts

If he is going to still be on supervision then that is NOT all he has to do.
Parole for a registered sex offender in CA is no walk in the park. (forget even thinking about going to one especially while on parole/probation)

If he is going to be off paper.......he might also consider the registration length.
Not sure if it will remain the same for CA but as of now, its lifetime registration.
If where he's at now he has the possibility to get off the registry......I'd stay put until that point.

He needs to choose very carefully before he decides what he's going to do.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 05-02-2017, 08:04 PM

He's decided to stick it out in Alabama.

As he should - as apparently he's got a wife who is on disability living in Birmingham.

There are some strange things that he's told me - and although I know the DoC has never been strong on common sense, this is what he's told me:

1. He has to take some sort of class that lasts 6 weeks - from 7:30 am to 4:30pm. (I think those are the right hours)

It doesn't make sense to me - why wouldn't they have him take this class before he was released? How do they expect him to get a job if he's in class all day? Where do they think his money is going to come from?

2. He tells me that although the parole board was given his wife's address, he doesn't want to use it because he's afraid the apartment complex may give his wife some flack and she could lose her apartment or cause them trouble in some other way. So - he's asked the Sheriff's dept. what he could do as an alternative address. From what he said, they would let him register with a car as an address/location where he could be found. But - he doesn't have a car. And if he did - he'd have to put gas in it, get it registered, insured or end up right back in trouble otherwise. And - gas, registration, insurance - that costs money he simply doesn't have.

My gut tells me he's worrying about nothing. He should stay with his wife, and check in with the apartment complex manager. If they tell him he can't stay there - I certainly don't see them making his wife move out. Maybe I'm wrong? I am pretty sure she's on disability, so it could be they could rent the place out and get more from someone who isn't on disability.

Why live in a car? That's just crazy. I get being concerned - but I'm thinking the parole board had to have checked with the apt. manager prior to his release, no? Or was that something his wife was supposed to do?

Aside from just tossing cash at him that I can't afford, I'm not sure how I can help him.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:49 AM

Donation Award 

Its possible that if his wife is on some sort of housing assistance she might lose that if he were to move in.
The *class thing* is common as well.
Although my hub didnt have to do it everyday but he had a few mandatory things he has to do.
Not sure why they dont do it before they are released. Maybe to *protect* them? (everyone would know what he's doing? and become a target?)
Pretty standard to require him to attend some sort of classes/therapy after release

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
liveweyerd (05-04-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpappy View Post

Have your friend talk to the prison's chaplain. The chaplain might know of some church groups on the outside that might be able to help.

You might also want to do some online research for your friend. Search Craigslist and all the other online Help Wanted websites (e.g., Indeed.com, SnagAJob, etc). Look for jobs that also offer housing to those that are hired. For example, I live in an area of New Jersey with many horse farms. I know that many, if not most, of these horse farms have housing on the farm for the hired help. (The housing is part of the laborer's overall compensation.) I also know that some of these farms hire people that are on parole, and that includes registered sex offenders that are still on paper. With a little bit of luck, and a little effort on your part, you just might be able to help your friend find a job and a place to stay. It is worth a shot.

Good luck. By helping your friend, you are doing the work of the angels. You should be proud of yourself. I will say a little prayer for your friend.

Last edited by Jelly_Belly; 05-05-2017 at 08:36 AM..
Old 05-09-2017, 09:25 AM

This is really a dizzying effort.

After so many years in, I've the idea that my friend has no idea how money is earned, nor does he seem to realize how hard it is to accumulate.

As stated, he's concerned that if he declares his ex-con status with the apartment that his government assisted wife stays in, that she may have issues continuing to stay there.

I find it wrong to stay there without letting the apt. management know. I understand his concerns, but he cannot be truly free if he's afraid to be discovered. It's patently dishonest to stay there without disclosing his background.

So - he tells me the sheriff's office tells him that he can use a car within a certain radius to the registered address as a home. So, he wants to buy a car. No realization that he needs a driver's license, car insurance and registration, in addition to future gas purchases and the price of the car and the ongoing maintenance of same - which can be ignored to a degree, but only for so long.

I certainly could go into debt and buy him a car, or even co-sign a lease - but I think that would be above and beyond.

I do not understand why the parole board would release someone who has no place to stay. I can only think that he hadn't thought about his wife's tenuous circumstances or worse, lied about where he would stay.

Sorry - a bit of a rant - but of the millions of people on the planet, I find it unsettling that I seem to be the only person he's calling for help - and calling often.

I do realize that without my own support network, life would have been much, much more difficult for me. I am wondering how my friend is supposed to succeed with so many obstacles.

If he can stay at his wife's - he can take the class and accept some help for the food he'd need along the way. That would be simple enough. Maybe some help with some new clothes as well.

But to worry over a car - with no income - that's the height of foolishness in my mind. To try and find a place to stay with no income - impossible.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:27 AM

I think I should update this with some news.

But first - I want to apologize for the rant. I have to remember that not everyone is equipped the same way. Different education levels, different support systems, different experiences - all those elements will shape how we handle what life throws at us.

I spoke with my friend yesterday - shared my concerns about the car - and the concerns about him not being forthcoming with the apartment complex about his background.

So - in a nutshell, I encouraged him to talk to those who he acknowledges as wise people - the prison chaplain, a friend of ours who has succeeded in reintegrating, his wife - and to consider being forthcoming as opposed to not being transparent with everyone. They do have a right to know.

And - if he does need to find another place to live after he's shared the truth - we'll cross that bridge if we have to. The Apt. Mgr. may have a responsibility to the other tenants - but I know there must be some place these guys can stay and get started on a new life. I'll just have to help him find one.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:16 AM

Another update:

It's been a few weeks. He shared with me because of a probation violation from a traffic citation before he was convicted of the crime he's on parole for, he went to court and the judge fined him $1700, of which $1300 will be offset, in lieu of 130 hours of community service, but he'll have to pay $400.

This is something that he'll have to resolve before he can get a driver's license.
He has another 3 and 1/2 weeks of this mandatory class, but - he also told me he's got a hernia that needs to be repaired. Because he learned brick masonry in prison, I suspect this is something that needs to be addressed before he can work.

Honestly, it seems as if there is always something. I know that God didn't get him out just to let him go back in. But, it doesn't please me to hear about all these obstacles that are in front of him.

Unfortunately, the best thing for him is a steady job with a better than average pay-check - and with a hernia repair - even if he could get hired right away, that healing will delay employment for 6-8 weeks.

Hopefully, he can get that surgery sooner rather than later.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:38 AM

Donation Award 

ug. Im sorry he's having such a big giant pile of crap to deal with.
I'd suggest he just try to baby step it.
One foot in front of the other and repeat.
I know when my hub got out he also didnt have his dl anymore.
it was complicated by the fact he wanted to get his cdl reinstated.
Well in order to do that he needed to retake the written and drivers test for that.
Eventually he did manage to get everything in order, but not without a struggle.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 05-18-2017, 09:22 AM

I have no knowledge of any required classes prior to being released on parole.

First things first - he was granted parole, but that does not mean that he will be released. He has to submit a home plan that the Parole Board will verify. If it's not acceptable, they will reject it, and notify him that he needs to submit another plan. So, he HAS to find somewhere to go.

There are NO halfway houses in Alabama that accept sex offenders.

He also has to sign paperwork for sex offender registration (prior to release), and provide an address of where he intends to reside upon release. He has three (3) days from release to report or he's in violation. The Alabama SORNA requirements are very strict.

I've been told by a Probation Officer that unless the parole out of state is to an immediate family member, it's as good as dead, and even then, it will take months to parole out of state. It's not an Interstate Compact issue with paroles, but the Parole Boards in the respective states have to communicate with each other, check the home plan, and transfer the case information. It can be done, but it's a rather extensive and time consuming process.