Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 09-23-2020, 03:51 PM
Donation Award 

Default Writing an Interstate Compact Plan of Supervision

So, my boyfriend's release is about a month away and we're looking to request an Interstate Compact discretionary transfer of supervision ASAP once he's out on parole. I know this will require a "Valid Plan of Supervision" according to ICAOS rules. I couldn't find any examples of one online, but I did find a definition:
Plan of Supervision means the terms under which an offender will be supervised, including proposed residence, proposed employment or viable means of support and the terms and conditions of supervision.
This seems like it's probably a document generated by an Interstate Compact office or P.O. for the benefit of other offices. While I don't know how much input I'll have into the generation of this thing, I will definitely have some since the proposed residence is mine and the means of support will be me. So, I took a crack shot at writing my own version.

I am certain this is not what Michigan will use, but hey, I found it a good exercise to order my thoughts and sharpen my case for when I am asked. And, maybe, they'll let me attach this to the larger plan as a whole.

What do you guys think?

I met him and started a romantic relationship with him prior to his arrest. That relationship continued for the entirety of his incarceration. I ask that you grant him permission to transfer his supervision from Michigan to Georgia to live with and be supported by me.

I am a software engineer with full-time employment and an entrepreneur with a business on the side. My home is a clean, healthy, and safe place to live. I work completely remotely with full discretion over my working schedule. I currently live only with a senior dog I rescued from the local animal shelter. There are no drugs, alcohol, or firearms anywhere on the property. I welcome visits from community supervision officers to my home, announced or not, for whatever purposes they have, including searches if they deem it necessary.

I fully understand the consequences for me of the request being made of you. I am volunteering to support him through the duration of his supervision when and as he needs that support, including food, clothing, shelter, transportation, telephone and internet services, and financial support. Providing material support to him (even if it were complete and prolonged) will not strain my finances.

Providing material support, however, is just the beginning. I am committing not just to helping him stay alive, but also to helping him rebuild his life, which will take time and emotional support. For example, if he is between jobs, he will be frustrated by wanting to work, filing applications and even having job interviews, when he is not being hired because of his past. He has a strong desire for independence and to contribute to the household. When that psychological toll weighs on him, I will assure him that his ambition to carry his own weight is admirable and what really matters, that I know that as he continues to apply himself he will succeed, and that the contributions he is able to make when he does will be appreciated.

My research has taught me that the road for a returning citizen can be long and hard. I will help him work toward living the life he wishes to live in small, achievable steps. I will celebrate his successes along the path, reminding him to revel in the small wins that may otherwise have been swallowed by stress. Building a cumulative positive effect will allow him to acknowledge the difficulties with which he is beset without being consumed or controlled by them. I will encourage him to continue to develop the problem-solving, communication, and coping skills that were taught as a part of his programming in Michigan so that he can work toward his goals without resorting to destructive coping methods or becoming paralyzed by inaction.

I will contribute to his plan of supervision by treating his obligations to the community and to community supervision as though they were my own. This means not just helping him avoid violations of the law (or even the appearance of them), but also technical violations of his supervision. Whenever he is not at home, I will make sure he is home in time for curfew. If we want to move or purchase a vehicle, or his employment status changes, I will ask whether he has spoken to his community supervision officer about it. His schedule for regular check-ins will be in my phone just like they will be in his. If he owes a fee, I will pay it on time if he cannot.

During most of the time he was in prison, I had a flawed understanding of the Interstate Compact process and was caught off-guard when, so close to his release date, we found he would not be able to travel to Georgia because we had not accounted for and participated correctly in that process. I have spent a considerable portion of time since then learning as much as I can in order not to be surprised again. While learning, I have found that some ex-offenders and their families have very unforgiving opinions of “the system” and even their community supervision officers. While I generally refrain from refuting the lived truths of others, I often thought to myself that the corrections apparatus cannot always be the primary source of post-reentry support. Incarcerated individuals come from—and will return to—the community, which is, by definition, beyond the scope of correctional responsibility. So, though I may not always understand why the system works as it does, I understand its intended purpose and goal, and will consistently show proper respect to everyone within it. I will always assist community supervision where and when I can.

I commit to helping him back onto his feet and to getting him sustainable work. If he is allowed to transfer from Michigan to Georgia, he will not be near to the individuals with whom he had engaged in criminal activities. My family and friends have known about him for some time and are looking forward to meeting him. Please help me to care for my loved one as he is reintroduced into society. I genuinely believe it represents his best chance for success.

Last edited by Bleu; 09-23-2020 at 04:12 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2020, 06:44 PM
Site Moderator

Thanked 23,989 Times in 8,426 Posts

I wish i could comment. Our IC was done entirely by his PO. We only signed a form on both ends. I have zero clue what was in it except that the form I signed stated he had permission to reside at my address and that I was not liable for him.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Bleu (09-24-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 08:23 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
I wish i could comment. Our IC was done entirely by his PO. We only signed a form on both ends. I have zero clue what was in it except that the form I signed stated he had permission to reside at my address and that I was not liable for him.
Thanks so much for your reply!

Were you related to or married to him at the time?

Which states were involved?
Old 09-23-2020, 10:15 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,470 Times in 17,283 Posts

Bleu, take a deep breath, let it out s.l.o.w.l.y.

The following is just my opinion:

You're over-thinking this application for Interstate Compact. It was always my thought that the offender, along with his counselor or possibly the PO were responsible for doing the paperwork. I commend you for wanting everything to be done right; to be done so well that it surely can't be denied. I get that, I do. You're taking his parole personally and it isn't about you, its about him. Him taking responsibility....if you complete / fulfill his every obligation, where is his responsibility and accountability? If you are constantly reminding him to be home before curfew (etc), he's going to resent you sooner or later. Your nickname will then be The Warden.

There's a thin line between supporting and enabling. Very thin.

I do hope it all works out and he is allowed to move to Georgia

Welcome to PTO!

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Bleu (09-24-2020), LifeTraveler (09-24-2020), Patrickj (09-24-2020), Visitor611 (09-24-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post

You're over-thinking this application for Interstate Compact. It was always my thought that the offender, along with his counselor or possibly the PO were responsible for doing the paperwork. I commend you for wanting everything to be done right; to be done so well that it surely can't be denied. I get that, I do. You're taking his parole personally and it isn't about you, its about him. Him taking responsibility....if you complete / fulfill his every obligation, where is his responsibility and accountability? If you are constantly reminding him to be home before curfew (etc), he's going to resent you sooner or later. Your nickname will then be The Warden.

Welcome to PTO!
Totally agree with this. my husband was just approved for interstate compact from Colorado to New Mexico and all I had to do was sign a paper saying that we are married and that he will live at home. His parole officer in Colorado did all the paperwork. his parole officer in New Mexico did call to confirm that we were married because under interstate compact rules you have to have family support. I'm not sure that a girlfriend qualifies as family.

The Following User Says Thank You to nancyginnm For This Useful Post:
patchouli (09-24-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 10:02 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post

Welcome to PTO!
I’m sorry to come across negatively. I’ve just spent years thinking this was going to happen, and now it turns out that it might not. It would be a lot more helpful to me if this process was more transparent, but I can see that there are probably legitimate reasons that it is the way it is.

I agree with you about the need for him to take accountability and that I need to chill out. But, like I said, I wrote this thinking it might just have been for me, so I don’t regret it. Especially considering that you’ve provided feedback that I needed to hear. Thanks for that.

Last edited by Bleu; 09-24-2020 at 10:15 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bleu For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (10-01-2020), patchouli (09-24-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 10:36 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyginnm View Post
under interstate compact rules you have to have family support
For a mandatory transfer. While all transfers are subject to the discretion of the sending state, under Interstate Compact Rule 3.101, if the offender is a resident of the receiving state, the transfer is mandatory for the receiving state. If the offender has family in the receiving state who is willing and able to assist and the offender either has a job offer in the receiving state or means of support available in the receiving state, then the transfer is mandatory for the receiving state.

What we are shooting for is a discretionary transfer under Interstate Compact Rule 3.101-2, which states:
(a) A sending state may request transfer of supervision of an offender who does not meet the eligibility requirements in Rule 3.101, where acceptance in the receiving state would support successful completion of supervision, rehabilitation of the offender, promote public safety, and protect the rights of victims.

(b) The sending state shall provide sufficient documentation to justify the requested transfer.

(c) The receiving state shall have the discretion to accept or reject the transfer of supervision in a manner consistent with the purpose of the compact specifying the discretionary reasons for rejection.
Support specifically from family is not required for all types of Interstate Compact transfers. The fact that transfers can and do happen for offenders that are not residents of the receiving state and that do not have support specifically from family is implicit in part of an answer to a question on the Interstate Compact Myths FAQ:
more than 80% of the transfers into [a] state are for individuals who were from [that] state when they were sentenced or they have resident family members offering support
My goal here is not to chew anyone out, but it's quite the myth of its own that family is an absolute necessity for any non-resident returning citizens wanting to parole in a state other than the one that incarcerated them. In fact, that myth was part of the reason my boyfriend and I found ourselves in this position when his counselor didn't bother putting me on his exit form as the first alternative (as he asked) after he was granted parole because we weren't related.

Last edited by Bleu; 09-24-2020 at 10:39 AM..
Old 09-24-2020, 03:03 PM

Thanked 2,495 Times in 975 Posts

I agree with all Patcuouli said. I remember when my son was about 6 months away from release in Georgia. He had to give his counselor an address for release. The counselor said if he was releasing to a Ga address they needed it 2 months before release. If he wanted to do an interstate compact they needed it 4 months in advance to get the paperwork completed & home visit done before release. The facility would have done all the paperwork.

He decided to release to GA so we didn't have to do the compact. Michigan might be different. Your LO can apply for it after release.
Have you been to the Michigan DOC site to read about their compact? I have senior moments so forgive me if you mentioned it already. Here's a link to their site & it has a contact number to ask questions. https://www.michigan.gov/corrections...8393--,00.html
One of the important thing it says for you is it can be granted if:" though not a resident of the receiving state and not having family residing there, the receiving state consents to such person being sent."
I'd call them & ask what the process is & what you can do to make it work. That's where all the things in your letter may come in as ways to show he won't be a bum with no living or employment prospects.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
Bleu (09-24-2020), fbopnomore (09-25-2020), patchouli (09-24-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 02:29 PM
Site Moderator

Thanked 23,989 Times in 8,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleu View Post
Thanks so much for your reply!

Were you related to or married to him at the time?

Which states were involved?
Maybe a moot response, now, but I'll answer just in case it helps anyone.

Married in prison x 5 years.
He is in CA and I am in AZ.

And just to put this in perspective-- none of that really made a difference. We know a couple who had essentially the same stats and states but they were denied because the apt. complex she managed was owned by someone unwilling to allow a felon to live there. It's a very individual experience because it's the county of supervision on the receiving side that makes the decision. State rules are just the min requirements.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
patchouli (09-28-2020), sidewalker (10-03-2020)