Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Michigan that do not fit into any other Michigan sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:01 AM

Question Marriage in Thumb Correctional Facility

I read the general guidelines on the MDOC website for marrying a prisoner but it's very general.

I wanted to know:
1) Can I bring clothes for my man to wear? Or does he have to get married in his state uniform?

2) Are the ceremonies done in the visiting room before it opens to public?

3)Are you allowed to take pictures with everyone in ur wedding party i.e. The witnesses

4) do you get extra time afterwards to talk or is it a rushed procedure?

5) do the witnesses have to be on the prisoners visiting list already? That would seem complicated sincey my guy can only change his list in July & Nov so planning around that would add more difficulty
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2018, 08:25 PM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

I got married back in 2008 so things may have changed but I was able to bring in clothes for my husband but I had to take them right back out with me after we were married. The ceremony was done in the visiting room before visiting hours started. Yes we were allowed to take pictures and we got pictures of just the two of us and some of our wedding party. No we did not get extra time after other than to sign the marriage license and take our pictures then we had to leave and I came back for a visit later. Yes, all the witnesses have to be on the visitor list. They have to go through the lien process. We didn't get to pick out date anyway. The prison picked it. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Lions Heart For This Useful Post:
Brandy7676 (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions Heart View Post
I got married back in 2008 so things may have changed but I was able to bring in clothes for my husband but I had to take them right back out with me after we were married. The ceremony was done in the visiting room before visiting hours started. Yes we were allowed to take pictures and we got pictures of just the two of us and some of our wedding party. No we did not get extra time after other than to sign the marriage license and take our pictures then we had to leave and I came back for a visit later. Yes, all the witnesses have to be on the visitor list. They have to go through the lien process. We didn't get to pick out date anyway. The prison picked it. Good luck!
Thanks so much for all the details. I've just been informed they no longer allow inmates to wear outside clothes I can only imagine why they would stop that aspect of the process!!? I was looking forward to having pics where he's finally in a different outfit lol

As for not picking your date, did they at least let you know in advanced when it would be? I'm in CA so I'd have to plan in advance for flights & taking time off from work.