Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Illinois Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Illinois Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 01-18-2019, 08:07 PM

Default GTL Kiosks

Does anyone know how GTL messaging kiosks work as far as times theyre open for messaging, or does the inmate have to stand in line or do they sign up on a list?

I know the facility my friend is at has 2 kiosks for 140 guys and they only get 15 minutes each to view and reply, but Im not sure of how it works turn wise. Id ask but snail mail takes forever and I dont want to waste messaging time with my bs.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLINOIS.PAL View Post
Does anyone know how GTL messaging kiosks work as far as times theyre open for messaging, or does the inmate have to stand in line or do they sign up on a list?

I know the facility my friend is at has 2 kiosks for 140 guys and they only get 15 minutes each to view and reply, but Im not sure of how it works turn wise. Id ask but snail mail takes forever and I dont want to waste messaging time with my bs.

Im not sure of the time frames but its normally when they have day room. And honestly snail mail can be better depending on your facilitys mail room. Ive had messages come 5 days later and they have to review before you send or receive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barbeegirl88 For This Useful Post:
german girl (07-19-2019), ILLINOIS.PAL (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbeegirl88 View Post
I’m not sure of the time frames but it’s normally when they have day room. And honestly snail mail can be better depending on your facility’s mail room. I’ve had messages come 5 days later and they have to review before you send or receive.
This week has been especially bad (at Dixon at least). Three messages I sent early Thursday morning into friday were finally approved yesterday. I’m still waiting on messages from Sunday and Monday to be approved. He sent a message end of last week that I’ve still not seen.

Who approves the messages - mailroom or like, internal affairs?

Last, maybe it’s because of Valentine’s Day, but as of this past Sunday he’d still not received snail mail letters I sent Feb 5 and 7..... :/
Old 05-05-2019, 10:19 PM

Default Agree!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbeegirl88 View Post
Im not sure of the time frames but its normally when they have day room. And honestly snail mail can be better depending on your facilitys mail room. Ive had messages come 5 days later and they have to review before you send or receive.

I prefer talking on the phone and real mail over the GTL messaging. usually whatever I "email" him about we talk on the phone about so it's a waste- it is only 4 bucks for 20 emails but still........I'd rather hear his voice or see his sweet handwriting

I sent him four photobooks in the past month alone LOL -is that nuts???

Do you ladies send photos often? i want him to remember what he is missing and not be writing to all these women- I was kinda annoyed when I saw he is on a penpal site..... but he is bored so I get it. I'm the only woman he loves (so he says and I do believe him - I'm in love and as they say, love is blind)

sigh

Old 05-06-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemcc View Post
I prefer talking on the phone and real mail over the GTL messaging. usually whatever I "email" him about we talk on the phone about so it's a waste- it is only 4 bucks for 20 emails but still........I'd rather hear his voice or see his sweet handwriting

I sent him four photobooks in the past month alone LOL -is that nuts???

Do you ladies send photos often? i want him to remember what he is missing and not be writing to all these women- I was kinda annoyed when I saw he is on a penpal site..... but he is bored so I get it. I'm the only woman he loves (so he says and I do believe him - I'm in love and as they say, love is blind)

sigh

Oh i agree - phone calls and video visits and letters trump emails, but to get an email from him brightens my day. I know they brighten his, and because I have so many thoughts swimming around on my head (we're both virgos lol) I like the convenience of typing them up and sending them off. It sucks that the delay is anywhere from 5 hours to (the usual) 1+ days, but... it is what it is, and it helps us stay close.

Where's your guy gem? Did y'all know each other before he went in?

I send my man probably 3-5 pics of me a week.

You said you saw he was on a penpal site but you didn't know that until after the fact? That's how I met my guy - we've been writing for almost 8 months now. His profile expires soon and he's not going to re-up it. Thankfully he got a couple other penpals from the site, which, I'm glad he did because as stated elsewhere, I can't imagine what he goes through, and I think it's important for inmates to have outside connections. We may have waded into relationship territory, but that doesn't mean everyone does, ya know?
Old 05-06-2019, 02:00 PM
Donation Award 

I just sent 75 photos in a small box last week. My husband has HUNDREDS. His new thing is he in a goddess costume so I’m getting to work on that!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jessesgirl1111 For This Useful Post:
german girl (07-19-2019), ILLINOIS.PAL (05-07-2019), jemcc (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessesgirl1111 View Post
I just sent 75 photos in a small box last week. My husband has HUNDREDS. His new thing is he in a goddess costume so Im getting to work on that!

I can't even imagine where they store all these photos LOL my LO probably has 60+ pix of me.
The Following User Says Thank You to ILLINOIS.PAL For This Useful Post:
jemcc (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Oh i agree - phone calls and video visits and letters trump emails, but to get an email from him brightens my day. I know they brighten his, and because I have so many thoughts swimming around on my head (we're both virgos lol) I like the convenience of typing them up and sending them off. It sucks that the delay is anywhere from 5 hours to (the usual) 1+ days, but... it is what it is, and it helps us stay close.

***I agree!!!! I love getting the emails He's just so funny- it's all typos lol and he's not great at typing so they're short lol....I just love his letters and of course my favorite is hearing his voice

Where's your guy gem? Did y'all know each other before he went in?

*** He's at Menard CC in Southern Ill. We knew one another but just knew "of" each other and when the stuff went down I couldn't imagine him doing what he was accused of (murdering four family members brutally) I started getting in touch, etc. things became "i love you' after his penpal link went up- it's active from 2014-2020 ! But like you said- and ITA - they need to keep busy and positive so i don't mind him having penpals as long as it's not romantic. I know it sounds selfish b/c I'm out here and he is in there but still- loyalty is both ways.

I send my man probably 3-5 pics of me a week.

***You are goooooood!!! I have to send more- he always asks but I'm just so busy and hate going to cvs or wherever so I do photo books :-)

You said you saw he was on a penpal site but you didn't know that until after the fact? That's how I met my guy - we've been writing for almost 8 months now. His profile expires soon and he's not going to re-up it. Thankfully he got a couple other penpals from the site, which, I'm glad he did because as stated elsewhere, I can't imagine what he goes through, and I think it's important for inmates to have outside connections. We may have waded into relationship territory, but that doesn't mean everyone does, ya know?
I agree as long as he stays loyal to me i'm thinking it's a good thing ! xox
The Following User Says Thank You to jemcc For This Useful Post:
ILLINOIS.PAL (05-07-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 07:08 AM

My son is at a minimum security prison and his emails reach me in about one hour! Because of our crazy schedules (hubby and mine) we prefer email over phones and snail mail I only use to send pics of his son and his activities.
He knows to go to the kiosk several times during the day to sync and he usually has a message from one of us or his son/aunt/niece/cousin. I told all family about the email system and with the app its just so quick and cheap - he probably receives 5-10 messages per day.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trauma4us View Post
My son is at a minimum security prison and his emails reach me in about one hour! Because of our crazy schedules (hubby and mine) we prefer email over phones and snail mail I only use to send pics of his son and his activities.
He knows to go to the kiosk several times during the day to sync and he usually has a message from one of us or his son/aunt/niece/cousin. I told all family about the email system and with the app its just so quick and cheap - he probably receives 5-10 messages per day.

You're so lucky you get them in an hour turnaround time. They must have more than one person assigned to check the emails at his facility - either that or no one is getting emails besides him LOL

Do you get them on weekends too?
Old 05-08-2019, 07:18 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
I can't even imagine where they store all these photos LOL my LO probably has 60+ pix of me.
He buys photo albums. Lots of them! I never get gtl messages after 1pm or on the weekend at all. I think they approve them once or twice a day weekdays only at Pinckneyville.
The Following User Says Thank You to jessesgirl1111 For This Useful Post:
ILLINOIS.PAL (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
You're so lucky you get them in an hour turnaround time. They must have more than one person assigned to check the emails at his facility - either that or no one is getting emails besides him LOL

Do you get them on weekends too?
lol - There are 1000 guys at the prison which is supposed to have 600 so I bet there are others that use the GTL Kiosks too....

Nope I don't get them on the weekend. However, it feels so much better because I can send him info too like what time we are visiting, and I'm also able to quickly send him a message that I'm thinking of him and hoping he has a good day.

With phone calls, it all depended on when he could get a phone, if one of us (Dad or Mom) was available, etc..Emails are such a big improvement.
The Following User Says Thank You to trauma4us For This Useful Post:
ILLINOIS.PAL (05-09-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 10:34 PM
Donation Award 

@trauma I concur, I love the messaging too. Well send pertinent info back n forth, phone #s etc, instead of waiting the phone tike. And we both say goodnight & good morning every single day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jessesgirl1111 For This Useful Post:
ILLINOIS.PAL (05-09-2019), trauma4us (05-25-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 10:03 AM

Do y'all get "your message has been approved" emails, too?
trauma4us (05-25-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 12:45 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Do y'all get "your message has been approved" emails, too?
Yes. Finally did. Allllll 14 of them!

Id like to think that women are Gods, because we resurrect men. We lift them up so high they almost start to believe they can live without us.

ILLINOIS.PAL (05-23-2019), trauma4us (05-25-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 01:04 PM

lmao i'm so glad i'm not the only one who goes overboard - but i blame the character limit
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ILLINOIS.PAL For This Useful Post:
jessesgirl1111 (05-23-2019), trauma4us (05-25-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 10:12 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
lmao i'm so glad i'm not the only one who goes overboard - but i blame the character limit
Hahaha I know. I try not to cuz he only has the hour out but its hard. And the limited talking SUCKS!

Id like to think that women are Gods, because we resurrect men. We lift them up so high they almost start to believe they can live without us.

ILLINOIS.PAL (05-24-2019), trauma4us (05-25-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Hahaha I know. I try not to cuz he only has the hour out but its hard. And the limited talking SUCKS!

Limited phone time? Yeah, it's difficult isn't it :/ I have a friend who's got a guy who's in a CO State Prison and they're on the phone allllllll the time. I think they get the phones brought to their cells and for some reason no one is ever on the phones there because he calls her like 5-10 times a day (I wish I was kidding). But hey, IL is lucky because it's $0.32 for 1/2 hour... some of these other states are wayyyyyy more than that.

With my guy, he works a standard M-F 9-5, and I am limited in the nights I can talk because of class and home life, so it's hard for him to get a spot according to my hours, but he always manages to do so. I only get to talk to him maybe 1-4 times a week, plus usually 1 or 2 55m video visits.

Do you do the video visits, jesse's girl?

But yeah, it seems like there's always so, so much to talk about and the 30 minute calls or the 55 minute visits go TOO quick... I often write down all my thoughts on a Monday and mail him out a 4-6 page letter every week, in addition to sending probably 8-15 emails throughout the week -_-; .... maybe I should move out to Dixon so I can visit him 6 times a month - I still wouldn't have enough time to talk about everything!!! LOL
trauma4us (05-25-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 04:43 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Limited phone time? Yeah, it's difficult isn't it :/ I have a friend who's got a guy who's in a CO State Prison and they're on the phone allllllll the time. I think they get the phones brought to their cells and for some reason no one is ever on the phones there because he calls her like 5-10 times a day (I wish I was kidding). But hey, IL is lucky because it's $0.32 for 1/2 hour... some of these other states are wayyyyyy more than that.

With my guy, he works a standard M-F 9-5, and I am limited in the nights I can talk because of class and home life, so it's hard for him to get a spot according to my hours, but he always manages to do so. I only get to talk to him maybe 1-4 times a week, plus usually 1 or 2 55m video visits.

Do you do the video visits, jesse's girl?

But yeah, it seems like there's always so, so much to talk about and the 30 minute calls or the 55 minute visits go TOO quick... I often write down all my thoughts on a Monday and mail him out a 4-6 page letter every week, in addition to sending probably 8-15 emails throughout the week -_-; .... maybe I should move out to Dixon so I can visit him 6 times a month - I still wouldn't have enough time to talk about everything!!! LOL
We cant get the video to work on his end and no one will help. He cant see me. When he was at Robinson we talked constantly. Now that hes violated and at a much higher security facility we get like 5 minutes a day and 30 every three. Were having a lot of relationship issues currently, its really taking a toll on us I hoped he was gonna land at Dixon but no such luck. I write him every night before bed & send a card about every day. I mail something daily. Theyre quick with the mail there which is the only perk. Hes sooooo far away this time around. 375 miles from me. Im still in disbelief this all happened. We use the messaging, I send 3 or so a day he sends 1 or 2 depending on if he wants the phone or to work out during his hour out. He sells cards hes an amazing artist, he sends me the most beautiful drawings and he began writing poetry recently as an outlet for his feelings. We meditate, do yoga & practice a very spiritual belief at home, but cant seem to come to terms with the reason WHY this time. I miss him SO MUCH, I know he has less time than a lot of others. But he was taken away so abruptly from me right after the holidays and its been devastating. I know theres a lot of gang shit where hes at and he has to do what he has to do but that was his former life. I dont see him that way and I hate thinking of his beautiful soul being caged 22 hours a day. Sorry I went off on a tangent... rough day

Old 05-25-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
We cant get the video to work on his end and no one will help. He cant see me. When he was at Robinson we talked constantly. Now that hes violated and at a much higher security facility we get like 5 minutes a day and 30 every three. Were having a lot of relationship issues currently, its really taking a toll on us I hoped he was gonna land at Dixon but no such luck. I write him every night before bed & send a card about every day. I mail something daily. Theyre quick with the mail there which is the only perk. Hes sooooo far away this time around. 375 miles from me. Im still in disbelief this all happened. We use the messaging, I send 3 or so a day he sends 1 or 2 depending on if he wants the phone or to work out during his hour out. He sells cards hes an amazing artist, he sends me the most beautiful drawings and he began writing poetry recently as an outlet for his feelings. We meditate, do yoga & practice a very spiritual belief at home, but cant seem to come to terms with the reason WHY this time. I miss him SO MUCH, I know he has less time than a lot of others. But he was taken away so abruptly from me right after the holidays and its been devastating. I know theres a lot of gang shit where hes at and he has to do what he has to do but that was his former life. I dont see him that way and I hate thinking of his beautiful soul being caged 22 hours a day. Sorry I went off on a tangent... rough day

Im very sorry to hear all that Jesses girl :/ I truly hope it gets better for you two.
trauma4us (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 08:38 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Im very sorry to hear all that Jesses girl :/ I truly hope it gets better for you two.
Thank you. Been better today and yesterday. He sounds much better, which in turn made me better. Wrote me a poem, I got 2 cards in the mail and we Got to have phone sex too wooo hooo. One day at a time right! XO

ILLINOIS.PAL (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 07:05 AM

I'm glad to hear that JG!! <3

Has anyone had any emails from over the weekend get approved or come in? I've not seen an approval since Friday. I know the long holiday weekends backlog things. Just wondering how it's like for everyone else.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:09 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
I'm glad to hear that JG!! <3

Has anyone had any emails from over the weekend get approved or come in? I've not seen an approval since Friday. I know the long holiday weekends backlog things. Just wondering how it's like for everyone else.
Yes mine have been flowing, sent and received.

ILLINOIS.PAL (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Yes mine have been flowing, sent and received.

You're so lucky... mine STILL haven't gone through I want to email again, but like... I've already sent 5 since Saturday so.. idk what's taking Dixon so long.
jessesgirl1111 (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 06:02 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
You're so lucky... mine STILL haven't gone through I want to email again, but like... I've already sent 5 since Saturday so.. idk what's taking Dixon so long.
None of us are lucky rn! Look at what we’re all dealing with

ILLINOIS.PAL (05-30-2019)